The Honda Civic of ski boats?

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: The Honda Civic of ski boats?

I know you're not looking to buy now, just some advice for when you are:

I put 150 hours on my boat in a season, and I'm not a diehard everyday boater. A 1989 does not have only 150 hours on it. Period. And frankly when a seller tries to tell me something like that I immediately assume they're lying to cover something up. If it has only 150 hours then it avg's 7 hours of use a year. Do you really think the guy put a $2500 ski tower to use it for 7 hours a year? Me neither.

Maybe. it isn't all that unusual for a boat to sit unused for years at a time before the owner finally decides to sell it. I will agree, though, that it is a cause for concern- unused boats become junk through neglect. Whether the boat's been laid up or the owner is jerking your chain, it should be checked out by a pro.

My .02

skysurfer2010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The "honda civic of boats" does not exist. Even if you find a nice used boat that was meticulously maintained, the only way to keep it reliable is to throw money at it to keep up with maintenance and life limited parts. If you can't do your own winterizations/ summerizations then expect to spend at least $500 a year for those for an I/O. I'd also budget in another $500 a year minimum for unexpected items, fuel filters, anodes, etc. Then add your insurance, ramp fees, and fuel costs. Boats are NOT cheap no matter how reliable it is. And when something does break... it will break the bank!

Also 8 people in a 17 or 18 foot boat is unrealistic unless you like being very cramped. Four is comfortable. Six is tight, but don't expect to bring much else (like a large cooler, tube, bags, etc) on the boat with six people.

I also highly suggest looking for a 20+ foot, fresh water, outboard boat. Fresh water boats can also fetch a premium in the price, but they're worth it.

Sorry to come off sounding negative, but it's better to know what you're getting into before you go out and spend your hard earned money. Boats might be a money pit, but the enjoyment they provide is well worth it in my opinion.

NedM

Cadet

yeah, I keep flip flopping back and forth between an outboard and an I/O. I like the idea of an I/O or an inboard better. Seems better for towing and more family friendly with a swim deck and all. Quieter and less exhaust I am guessing too.

But the outboard seems like a better choice as a first boat since the purchase price and maintenance costs are so much lower.

aargh...I need to think about this more. But I do like the idea of an older, lower cost boat in decent shape that I can use for a couple years and then sell for most of what I paid for it to give me time to decide what I really want. It's much easier to pull the trigger on a $2000 boat. But if I go for an older boat I am thinking definitely out board as something tells me a 20-30 year old I/O boat will be a bit of a money pit.

skysurfer2010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Personally, I'd buy what you want to buy now. What happens when that $2,500 boat has a bellow or something else go bad? Will you want to invest a bunch of money to fix it or will you consider that boat a write off? It's a lot easier to invest money on repairs on a boat you like than something that's just a temporary.

I currently have my 18.5' Monterey I/O. It's a maintenance hog in my opinion. It was very well maintained by 1 previous owner for it's life, but it still is a money pit. I was in the same boat as you (pun intended) and wanted an I/O. I just don't like outboards. I'm stubborn, and although the OB would be a wiser choice, I don't regret it. Why? Because when it comes time to pull out the wallet, at least I'm dumping money into something I want. It's not my dream boat (I'm saving up for a Yamaha SX230 jetboat), but it is something that I'm content with and it gets me out on the water!

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I posted a question on this forum sometime back as to which was preferred in I/O or O/B. Everyone had a different opinion and they are all correct. Moral of the story is that each person will like one or the other for some reason. It doesn't mean that one motor is better than the other. However, make sure that you make your decision with good information.

Each motor type requires some type of winterization (it may not apply to where you live). Some I/O have exhaust above the waterline. All O/B exhaust below the waterline(that I know of). I/O tend to weigh more. I/O's are quieter. I'm sure that there are a hundred more comparisons that can be done. You just need to ask yourself.... does the engine type really matter to you? If it does, then concentrate your search on a boat that has that particular type of engine. My earlier post would still apply, but you will have narrowed down your selection somewhat.

BTW... the boat in the CL ad looks pretty clean and you may be able to have them knock off a few hundred more.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I think the biggest hurdle is finding a boat that can realistically handle 8 people while pulling. To me that is a 20plus footer. My Chaparral I believe says 8 people on the plate but more than 4 is pretty crowded and not very enjoyable not to mention the poor hole shot.

I'm guessing this varies wildly between different areas, but I've seen at least one game warden in my area that construes the law to read your capacity must count anyone behind the boat engaged in watersports. (aka, if you have two people on a tube, you must be under capacity in the boat by 2) In some ways it makes sense, what if that tube pops, you need to get them back in . In other ways its completely rediculous. If the rope breaks, that tube is now a raft and completely legal.

(I have seen it enforced when a 3 passenger jetski was towing 3 people on a huge inflatable.)

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

On a 20 or 30 year old boat I would be more worried about the wood than the metal.
I/O or otherwise make sure she aint rotten cause if she is no matter the drive type you got yourself a pit of some sort. Might be a work pit.

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class

It depends on how you look at it, My boat is 23 years old, its been cared for, it runs well, and has been completely redone. I spent about 800 on a stereo/prop/bimini/and keel guard this year. I spent another 800 on an impeller, tune up/fluid change/battery/and safety equipment. We usually go on a family vacation for a week and spend 3k or so. This year we have been going camping on the ohio once a month and been to laurel river lake once for a long weekend. We plan on going to another lake for a long weekend later in the summer. Between camping costs, fuel, launch fees, food, and beer we will make up the difference between 1600 and 3k. The beauty is I get to have more frequent R&R. So in a sense it is a money pit, but its also a great stress relief (except when paying the repair bills). I worry about what I spend on the boat, but it always makes up for it the second it goes in the water.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I can't believe the seller listed that 5.8 OMC Cobra as a Mercruiser...Idiot..:rolleyes:

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you can't do your own winterizations/ summerizations then expect to spend at least $500 a year for those for an I/O. I'd also budget in another $500 a year minimum for unexpected items, fuel filters, anodes, etc.

Wow. I wish I was your mechanic. I haven't had to winterize yet but I'm sure to find a good deal. I might do it myself...I don't think it would take more than 8hrs(DIY'ers back me up on this).

If I were you I would either take some test drives on the new ones to get a better idea of the style, or else hang out at a dock and see if someone will take you for a ride in there boat.

I knew I wanted a bowrider. I don't do much fishing but if I want I can still throw a line out.

skysurfer2010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow. I wish I was your mechanic. I haven't had to winterize yet but I'm sure to find a good deal. I might do it myself...I don't think it would take more than 8hrs(DIY'ers back me up on this).

I'm my own mechanic. ;) Everyone around me is in the $250 - $350 ballpark to winterize and about $150 to summerize. That includes parts and labor. And if you have everything out and ready, winterization only takes about 1.5 to 2 hours.

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are you planning to use this in salt water or fresh?

If fresh, I would agree with the photos that have been linked - find an 18 or 19 foot late model open bow, with an IO, have it mechanically inspected at the least, and you will have the most flexible popular family boat on earth. Stick with late model mercruiser or volvo power and you will have no problem finding service. I recommend having a shop do annual tune ups at a minimum as well, to achieve your 'honda' no maintenance experience. It can be done - I have friends with no mechanical knowledge enjoying similar boats.

The only reason I would agree with going outboard is if you are in salt water. For 10,000 you will have a tough time finding a 20ft boat with an outboard, that is a rare bird unless a fishing boat. And most families enjoy the rear sunpad/swim platform that an IO offers.

Last, and I find myself saying this alot on this board, outboards are expensive to fix too. I think more expensive when they break, but I sure dont have good evidence since my personal outboards are old, and my IOs are newer.

NedM

Cadet

ok, maybe I should start a new thread for this next question. But, IF (and its still a big IF) I go with an outboard....should I go 2 stroke or 4? Can I even use a 2 stroke in California? I know they can have a bit more exhaust/fumes, but they are cheaper, easier to maintain and more powerful...yes?

haulnazz15

Captain

I can't believe no one so far has mentioned a deck boat as a good option. Many of the 20' and smaller deckboats could be found for under 10K with an I/O or O/B engine platform, and make good fishing platforms as well as water sports. I really think Honda Civic is a terrible reference point for this thread as I don't consider a Civic to be a car that "does everything well". They are cheap to operate and fuel efficient, which could be any boat with a 4-banger, lol.

You also didn't mention what type of fishing you are wanting to do. The typical fish-n-ski v-bottom I/O is okay, but getting into the shallows and maneuvering in tight spots can be a pain, as well as the floor plan isn't usually that well suited for it.

Many deckboat layouts allow you to get out front and operate the trolling motor and get above the gunwhales. The deckboats also have a modified-v hull which tends to be a bit more stable when walking from side to side as t will lean less than a comparable deep-v.

Possibly something like this, but this is likely a scam given the asking price.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/boa/1816367110.html

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class

One thing that has not been brought up is... what are you towing with? If you are towing with a Honda Civic (since it seems to be a common item in this thread), then the deck boat is out-of-the-question. A deck boat would be a good option. I was wanting one, but I don't have a large enough tow vehicle or budget for the initial purchase.

NedM

Cadet

QC

Supreme Mariner

Stick to under 20 ft. for towing and first boat. Everything is easier with a smaller boat except big water and big loads . . .