The Honda Civic of ski boats?

NedM

Cadet
Hello all. New here. My family has recently become addicted to boating. We have rented several times and gone out with friends and we have decided to buy a used ski/fishing boat to take to the local lakes in So Cal.

Buying used definitely makes me nervous when it comes to boats. Especially in my price range (under $10K). I don't want to buy a money pit. I have a lot more research to do, but I am wondering if there is such a thing as the Honda Civic equivalent for boats or maybe for boat engines. Somethings simple, reliable, efficient, runs forever if maintained, not terribly expensive and basically gets the job done, but without all the frills and luxury.

Also, if I find a boat I like and want to have it checked out, can anybody recommend a good honest boat mechanic I can take it to for inspection in the North Los Angeles / Lake Castaic area?

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: The Honda Civic of ski boats?

You want this boat : http://nashville.craigslist.org/boa/1815417792.html

Too bad its not closer to California.

I think you want a smaller outboard -- that is what I would think is the equivalent of a civic.

Look for a 17 foot glasstron with an E-tec (if you can run those in your crazy-***-regulated-state).

NedM

Cadet

Thanks willy. So you think a small outboard is the easiest, lowest cost, lowest maintenance style? I had inboard in mind, but only because of the in your face exhaust for skiers and swimmers entering and exiting the water when the outboard is in idle. But if I went outboard...do you think 2 stroke? DFI or carburated? Any other particular manufacturers that are the best as far as maintenance costs and reliability?

cwhite6

Petty Officer 1st Class

IMHO, you should never have any motor running when people are entering or exiting your boat. Too easy for someone to bump the throttle and accidently put the boat in gear. A spinning prop and folks in the water near it are bad!

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Welcome. Was just out on Castaic yesterday. Best conditions we have ever had out there. When it comes to buying used, I can't be of much help (I bought new) but I can tell you it's not so much about make and model but more about maintenance and condition that will be important. Good luck!

91capri2050

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks willy. So you think a small outboard is the easiest, lowest cost, lowest maintenance style? I had inboard in mind, but only because of the in your face exhaust for skiers and swimmers entering and exiting the water when the outboard is in idle. But if I went outboard...do you think 2 stroke? DFI or carburated? Any particular manufacturers that are the best as far as maintenance costs and reliability?

you dont want to have your motor running, as said above. heres an example that happend on the lake this past weekend. pretty sad. http://www.wcnc.com/news/8-year-old-dies-in-boating-accident-on-Lake-Wylie-97235249.html

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

My neighbor has a sea ray just like the one above, except with the 125 hp and it's a 97. Nice boat. We were looking under the floor the other day and his is still in pristine condition.

I'd agree with the outboard...no winterization, no hard to get to spots...just easy maint and reliability...given it's been cared for.

Kind of second guessing my choice of inboard...

NedM

Cadet

pretty scary stuff for sure. Been water skiing/tubing so many times in my life and the driver always just left the engine in idle as one person jumped in and the other climbed out. But I can see the dangers for sure if somebody isn't paying attention.

but getting off topic here a bit. any more suggestions on boats to choose?

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You are asking for the Honda civic of boating -- I personally am a water sports person, so I am an inboard fan. I enjoy maintaining my boat. So I don't mind maintaining both an inboard adapted car motor and an outdrive. Its my hobby. I don't want the Honda civic of boating -- but, that is what you asked for. Hmmm, sounds like you might really want something else.

Lets start over -- tell us more about how you picture using the boat, where, how many people on board, towing etc?

NedM

Cadet

You are asking for the Honda civic of boating -- I personally am a water sports person, so I am an inboard fan. I enjoy maintaining my boat. So I don't mind maintaining both an inboard adapted car motor and an outdrive. Its my hobby. I don't want the Honda civic of boating -- but, that is what you asked for. Hmmm, sounds like you might really want something else.

Just looking for a fun boat to do some tubing/skiing and fishing on the weekends with the family. Maybe something that seats up to 8 people, affordable, reliable and won't be to terribly expensive to maintain and repair. I was looking at outboard as well as inboard and hadn't really made any decisions yet. way too early in the research process for that.

This one tickled my fancy

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

first thing, boats don't really share any qualities with a car.

Maintenance and how it was cared for is almost everything for a used boat. Age and hours (aka mileage) make VERY little difference to a boat. Boat brand names are also meaningless for used boats. Power packages on boats are shared and common across brands, you only get a couple choices, and with a couple rare exceptions, there aren't many dogs to stay away from. (anything that says force or OMC stick out in particular)

QC

Supreme Mariner

Agree ^^^^^

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

A little terminology you might be confusing... 3 types of boats, outboards, inboard/outboards, and inboards (and jets, ok, 4 types!)

With an I/O or outboard, you absolutely do not want the engine running with people in the water nearby. You are seconds away from a 200 hp blender that will slice through anything that gets near it.

With a true inboard, you are somewhat safer. Unless you are diving underwater, there is no way to get a foot to the prop of most inboard boats. And jets... 100% impossible to get chopped up, but as personal experience can tell you, the exhaust water jet is a powerful thing. I was crawling up on the back of a jetski one time with the driver idling it to keep it stable. He felt it tipping so he tapped the throttle a little, right when the jet nozzle was at waist height. It had about the same force as a baseball pitch!!

Anyway, inboards/jets, it still doesn't mean you want to tempt fate, as there is always a chance of running someone over.

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have you considered a new boat? While it would be more expensive at the beginning, it will also be more reliable. I would look at Glastrons, I plan on getting a new Glastron in the next year or two. They have a lifetime warranty on the hull/floor/ect. and I believe a 3 year on the engine. I bought my boat for $2800 and have now spent $1600 on repairs and other items, I am not upset by it, but I found the reasons why it was being sold. I will buy new next time because of reliability, you can only know how well it was maintained if you do it yourself. I love my boat, but it will need another few hundred in repairs to be up to my standards.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

So you want something slow and reliable that gets good gas mileage. Not really a combo for a ski boat. And wont really seat 8 people. My dad tried this and his boat that is about the same size as mine, with a smaller engine, is lousy for towing and uses more fuel than mine.

As far as brand goes, i think the question to be asked is what brand power plant should I be looking for, not brand of boat. Most all boats use the same engines.

Most I/Os are Chevy engines. I am completely unfamiliar with outboards. You should find the newest you can afford, and find the most maintained boat you can find. Mine was not, but I got one hell of a deal on it, and I dont mind doing the work to make it nice, a little at a time, and as things broke. To me that was worth not paying over $30k for a comperable new boat. Yes it takes a bit more to keep up with all the maintanance, but once I fix it, that area no longer needs to be visited because I maintain the crap out of it.

NedM

Cadet

Some great info here...thank you everybody for taking the time with a noobie such as myself. I know I don't have all the terminology down and to be honest I don't know much more then the basics when it comes to power boating. I did a lot of ocean sailing as a teen and did a lot of fishing and water skiing with friends in high school and college. But I have never owned a boat. That's why I am trying to keep it simple. Just a fun easy boat to do a little lake fishing on the weekends and is powerful enough to tow a skier. I have a budget of around $10K so that's why I am looking at a used boat. Beyond that I am not too particular.

My biggest fear are the age old jokes about boat ownership and I don't want to live the cliche....you know how a boat is a hole it the water you throw money into and the one about the two happiest days of a boat owners life.......I just don't want that to be me. When I said the "Honda Civic" of boats, I didn't mean literally, I just meant something reliable and affordable that in general gives many years of trouble free enjoyment.

I do know maintenance is key. I don't know anything about brands and manufacturers.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ok,

Search for a Stingray 190fx or 195fx. 19 foot boat, can hold 8 adult, and typically has a mercury 4.3 v6 (some have a volve v6). Good reliable power plant and outdrive, enough power to ski, nice layout.

My impression of a honda civic is you want a boat all you have to do is put gas into it and it will run. An adapted car motor needs annual winterization and needs much more maintenance on a regular basis than any civic does. An outboard would be closer to a civic.

Go to the Iboats Mercruiser .... I/O section and read about winterization and summerization. Does that sound like the maintenance you would like to do -- if not, you need to give up more of the things you want and get an outboard.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I think we understood you didn't mean literally, but the brand of the boat is less important than the type and brand of drive system along with good maintenance.

This site will help you avoid the pitfalls noted. Many come here after they buy, you have a distinct advantage in coming here first . . . ;)