The death of Christmas :(

JGREGORY

Lieutenant
All in the name of Diversity (bullhookey)<br /><br />» More From The Star Ledger <br /><br /><br /> <br />Board sticks to ban on Christmas carols <br />Decision for Maplewood/South Orange district draws varied reactions <br />Wednesday, December 08, 2004<br />BY KATIE WANG <br />Star-Ledger Staff <br />Despite pressure from residents and outside interest groups, the South Orange/Maplewood Board of Education stood by its policy banning Christmas carols from being played at instrumental holiday concerts this year. <br /><br />The board, which has been shoved in the national spotlight since the policy was clarified two weeks ago, issued a statement at its meeting Monday night reaffirming its stance. <br /><br />"We continue to support the restriction that music programs prepared or presented by student groups as an outcome of the curriculum shall not have a religious orientation or focus on religious holidays," said Brian F. O'Leary, board president. <br /><br />"Absent that restriction, a concert or performance could become an opportunity not to learn about a religious holiday or tradition, but to celebrate it." <br /><br />But parents, residents and students complained that the district's policy was a slap to the diversity on which residents in Maplewood and South Orange pride themselves. <br /><br />"Now that our two towns are more diverse than ever, it seems to me that policy 2270 denies it," said Shirlee Gross, a 51-year resident of Maplewood. "I suppose you realize that Columbia's students think the policy is silly, and thanks to media coverage, we have become the laughingstock of the country as well." <br /><br />Although the policy has been in place for more than a decade, it came under fire this year when the board said the ban also extends to musical renditions of Christmas carols or other songs referring to religious holidays or symbols. <br /><br />Even though the brass ensemble was allowed to play songs such as "Silent Night" or "Santa Claus is Coming to Town," in years past, the district decided this year to clarify the restrictions. <br /><br />"We expect that board policies be implemented in a consistent manner," said O'Leary. <br /><br />The board's decision has provoked heated debate within the community while drawing national attention as well. Assorted interest groups have sought out district parents in hopes of filing a lawsuit challenging the board of education. <br /><br />Demetrios Stratis, an attorney with Alliance Defense Fund, a group that has mounted numerous legal challenges against schools over religion, chastised the board. <br /><br />"People are tired of efforts to sanitize religious expression in the public schools. This policy against even instrumental Christmas music flies in the face of all common sense and is neither necessary nor constitutional," said Stratis. <br /><br />Ryan Dahn, a sophomore and member of the brass ensemble, said the group is now scrambling to find music for its concerts. <br /><br />"It's ridiculous that every piece we have to play has to be reviewed by a district lawyer," said Dahn. <br /><br />Not everyone, however, was critical of the district. <br /><br />Mark Brownstein, a Maplewood resident, said he resents ideologues who are parachuting into the district, threatening to bring lawsuits. <br /><br />"The passion of the opposition to the policy and the suggestion by some that there needs to be greater interjection of religion into the holiday concert heightens my suspicions that this is about something more than the crusade for educational freedom," he said. "I think the board has got it right." <br /><br />O'Leary compared the district's policy to others such as those in Livingston, Montclair, Cherry Hill and Shaker Heights, Ohio, where Superintendent Peter Horoschak once worked. <br /><br />The policy there also calls for music devoid of religious references at its concerts. <br /><br />Peggy Caldwell, a spokeswoman for the district, said the policy, passed in 1980, is a nonissue. <br /><br />"This has been a very diverse community for so long, and so well- known for tolerance that these things got worked out a long time ago," said Caldwell. "By and large, it's accepted that this works." <br />..................................................................<br /><br />Question for the Baby Boomers. Did your parents treat you that ****ty that you will not let kids have the joy of the CHRISTmas? It's time to stop greasing the Squeaky wheel and Change the darn thing. I'm so mad I could spit bullets. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

NYMINUTE

Captain
Re: The death of Christmas :(

jg.. I am a boomer, parents were real good to us even in hard times. But today I have issues with the entire religious aspect of the Holiday Season. My wife says it is my rebellious position toward big business, and the commercialization of the holiday. My kids (6) all had good Xmas' and we simply spoil our grandchildren, all year long plus the holiday. But as for each other my wife and I do not spend money to say I Love You, we do that without purchasing every think that is being hawked on TV and sale flyers. Church is too big business, and I expect that is what drives me away. But I would have never denied my kids or g-kids the fun and excitement of it all.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

So many confused people in this world.<br /><br />They choose to not offend one group and in doing so offended another group. Why?<br /><br />When will people in the USA realize that the mojority of us are Christians and were founded by Christians.<br /><br />If you dont like it, MOVE!<br /><br />Ken

JGREGORY

Lieutenant

I can respect that NY. I guess what I'm really teed off about is that over the last decade and a half traditions that have been held near and dear are being watered down to the point that they have no meaning what so ever. All because you get 1 or 2 people that say they are OFFENDED. :eek: <br /><br />To them I say I am offended at you trying to impose your minority will on the vast majority who sit there and take it. :confused: <br /><br />I'm still so mad I can't even think straight. I guess my point is that we have had Christmas celebrations since the beginning. W/o any issue. So why now is singing or playing Silent Night detrimental to some people. :confused:

LadyFish

Admiral

I agree with Ken that in order to pacify/satisfy one group, you will always allienate another.<br /><br />Bottom line.........its intolerance at its best. :(

RedRangerVIP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

JG,<br /> It's the same ol S**t!! Everybody these days is so sue happy that they will go to any and all extents to get a buck! Ken I agree with your opinion wholeheartedly! NYM I do agree with you in that the Christmas Season has become way to commercialized.Just my opinion. :mad: :mad:

gaugeguy

Captain

All these people that are "celebrating diversity" by changing the Christmas season into the "Holiday season" would be quite ripped if their Christmas vacation or Christmas bonus were to disappear.<br /><br />Every year it gets worse and worse, I just don't get it :(

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

""""<br /> I guess what I'm really teed off about is that over the last decade and a half traditions that have been held near and dear are being watered down to the point that they have no meaning what so ever.<br /> """<br /><br />Thats the whole idea. Restructuring American society thru history revision and thought control. All part of the plan to maintain control over the minds of the voters, one student at a time.

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Christmas , the birth of christ. It your not Christian dont celebrate it. My father in law work has just had to install a prayer room for the muslims so they get 5 breaks a day to pray. But they want double time for working Christmas ahhhh I get so mad. If you dont believe in Christmas its a normal day :mad: <br /><br />I do celebrate it so I want to sing carols and do what Ive done for years if you dont like it go and live in a Arab state. I want my kids to learn about it in school

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Chris,<br /><br />Christmas is a Federal Holiday. So they are entitled to overtime for working it. It is not a religous issue.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

On that level,Mark, yes. It's a fed holiday.<br />It should be voluntary, but then, every buisness should have the right to schedule work how they see fit.<br />If it's too draconian for employees to endure, then the employees should resign. If this employer cannot hire werkers to fulfill buisness requirements, it folds. His call/his fault/his right.<br />If I werked for said company,As a Christian, said company would be operating one man short or not operating at all).<br />But that's just me, and I'm sure if incentives were in place, enough werker might man the shifts to operate the buisness.<br />BTW, I was given a choice...Seeing how I would not work Christmas day, my employer said I had to take call-duty the entire weekend. Oh well. I still have to eat. It does draw vacuum tho.<br />I did explain that the NEXTEL will be left home durring Christmas services and Christmas dinner with the family. He understood that, so it aint all bad ,I guess.