the da vinci code

mattttt25

Commander
have you read it? thoughts? would really like to hear from the strong christians.

gaugeguy

Captain
Re: the da vinci code

Hi Matt, haven't read it yet but I do have it. I just read Demons and Angels by Dan Brown and it was excellent.

revertmastec

Petty Officer 1st Class

Book was excellent and definitly puts a twist on the whole cathloic faith.

mattttt25

Commander

i've knocked about 3/4 out in two nights. will be done tonight for sure. while the story line/plot is ok, the history and theories blow me away. i've spent all day researching the theories. i think i've just found a passion for christian history. it amazes me what millions take for fact could possibly be so wrong.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

The code is pointless. It also werks with the Encyclopedia Britanica, but is not hyped as it is with the bible.<br />Besides, given a choice between a group of books that have been written and passed down as the Bible, and the book, "The Davinci Code", I choose to believe the bible. I'm sorry.

mattttt25

Commander

12footer, i expected a more rational, thoughtful response from you. i don't get what you are saying about the code. did you read the book?<br /><br />the book is just a book, but the ideas and history it presents is what startles and intrigues me. i plan to read holy blood, holy grail as soon as i'm done with this one.

ob

Admiral

Hey 12'er ,If you are speaking of the grid code found in Bible texts it also worked with Moby ****( Richard).IMO ,nothwithstanding the mathematical statisticians,I give it about as much weight as the face on Mars or finding shapes in cloud formations.However in an endless universe anything is possible with unlimited space and time.Just unfathomable to the limited workings of the human mind.<br /><br />Haven't read the da vinci code but it sounds like a interesting read.

eeboater

Commander

I read it. And I would like to consider myself a pretty strong christian. Fact of the matter is this: Go to Barnes and Noble and locate the book. You will find it in the Fiction section of the store. Like any novel there are some factual parts and a lot of other parts that were made up by Dan Brown (the author).<br /><br />Its a FABULOUS book.. Definetly one of those that you never want to put down until you turn the last page. But, remember, it is FICTION.<br /><br />Sean

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by mattttt25:<br /> have you read it? thoughts? would really like to hear from the strong christians.
no.nor will i.<br /><br /><br />Hows that? :D

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've read all 4 of Dan Brown's books in print from TDVC onward. He's one heck of a writer who know how to spin a tale that is virtually believable. The Da Vinci Code is but the tip of the iceberg - get into Digital Fortress if you want to have your mind played with!<br /><br />There's been a huge amount of fuss over TDVC because it is anti-Catholic if not anti-Christian but, I believe it's important to remember the point that eeboater made - it's FICTION folks - it ain't fact! <br /><br />Just read it and enjoy a well told and most exciting yarn.

NOSLEEP

Commander

I have not yet read the da vinci code, but plan<br />too. If you have interest in this type of literature<br />you should read "In Gods Name" by David Yallop.

Whaler Proud

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have read much about this code and it smacks of the same kind of nonsense that many TV preachers have been putting out about "Bible codes".<br /><br />Check out "The Amazing Randi" site Amazing Randi <br />and do a search on Bible Codes and you will pull up a great article.<br /><br />Also check out this site and how they rate these kind of codes TV Preachers and other nuts <br /><br />I have professed my Christian faith here, but books like the Da Vinci code do not live up to scientific scrutiny anymore than the Bible codes espoused by the charlatans on TV.<br /><br />Jeez, Nostradamus makes more sense than the Da Vinci Code.<br /><br />Just my .02<br /><br /> :)

Triton II

Commander

I tried to read it and couldn't get into it. Can't put my finger on the button as to why - I was on a Quaintass jet at the time and despite being captive in my seat with not a lot to do I reverted to the (dreadfully advertorial) inflight magazine.

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I really enjoyed the Da Vinci code. It was a good book, and an excellent story. I don't think that it was either anti-Christian or anti-Catholic. It was a fictional story.<br /><br />One thing that all Christians need to remember is that we have only a small portion of Christ's live recorded. I don't think He was married, I think the gospel writers would have mentioned it if He were, but even if He were married that wouldn't preclude Him being the Christ.<br /><br />Anyway, I liked the book. I'm a minister and I loaned it to one of my young church members who likes to read, simply cautioning him to remember that it is fiction. If somebody were trying to build a religion around it, or change the Christian faith because of it, I'd have a problem with that, but as it stands it's good fiction.

gaugeguy

Captain

I just finished the book and it was a great story. One of those books that you just can't put down. Took all of two days to finish it ;) <br /><br />Do I believe the Holy Grail is anything other than a cup? No I don't, but I can see how people that are into the whole conspiracy/cover up theories could run with this. It's in the fiction section for a reason :p <br /><br />The day I finished the book I heard on the news that the Vatican appointed a Cardinal to go on a crusade to dispute and debuff the book...do they have something to hide???

eeboater

Commander

Yep I agree GG!! Nothing but fiction, and the Vatican, readers, reviewers, everyone should treat it as such.<br /><br />Sean

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

Historical fiction - I like these type of books with some basis in history but with a spin.<br /><br />Totally fiction imho -

SoulWinner

Commander

I read it. It was intriguing and provoked a good deal of thought on my part. I arrived at the conclusion that it was just a good and fascinating book, but my spirit man told me that it was merit-less when compared to the scriptures. So I have read the book and still own it (I never get rid any books that I read) but I also own dozens of bibles, commentaries and other religious study books; but still the most important book for my religious education, edification and fellowship with my creator is my bible. How's that Matttt?

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

By the comments in this thread its a perfect bit of fiction thats got people talking what more could the author want and better yet unlike Salman Rushdie no death thread yet. You see what a forgiving faith. <br /><br />Im going to buy it and read it

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I always get a kick out of those that take "artistic liberties" about the bible stories. <br /><br />The authors always have some stupid little theories or "facts".<br /><br />But I always say, if god meant it to be interpreted it that way, he would have made it perfectly clear.<br /><br />P.S. A couple of months ago, I watched "the last temptation of Christ" and I thought it was a very good fiction based movie.<br /><br />Ken