The Alaskan Islander Restoration (1976 22')

PikesPete

Recruit
All right. I am a newbie to iboats, but I have already learned so much about the Islander from two EPIC threads about two different owners restoring a '76 Islander that I hope to share and learn along the way.

I just bought a 1976 22' Islander with a home-built cabin and a home-built outboard transom bracket. As bought, it has a seized Honda 130 that has already been rebuilt twice and is probably going to scrap. It's in Seldovia Alaska, so this will be an ocean-going vessel for halibut, salmon, whale-watching, and all types of recreational uses along Kachemak Bay and Cook Inlet.

I will probably have many questions and will make lots of mistakes to share with others. I'll follow up with some images and the "knowns" that I have so far. I haven't seen the boat in person yet, but it's sitting on my Dad's property in Seldovia and I'll be arriving there for a two-week surge of work and fishing (off his boat) later this month. (We live in Colorado Springs, but visit Seldovia every June) I have lots of videos and pictures that I'll share as we go.

We bought the trailer and got the boat for free ;-) but we'll be paying indirectly to hardware and parts suppliers. Total invested so far (in remote coastal Alaska, off the road system) is $2,500. I'll track costs and materials as we go. The trailer alone, in that fishing town, is worth at least $1,500 of that, so figure the boat is ours for $1K to start. My target for a powered, fully refreshed rig is under $7K with the motor the X-factor.

TIA for insights and suggestions!

Attachments

• Tanner Girl.jpg
    Tanner Girl.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 23
  • Bow-Hull.png
    Bow-Hull.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 22
  • Cuddy.png
    Cuddy.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 20
  • Transom-Bracket.png
    Transom-Bracket.png
    8.2 MB · Views: 20
  • Bracket Pullaway.png
    Bracket Pullaway.png
    7.1 MB · Views: 21
  • Cabin Interior.png
    Cabin Interior.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 23

PikesPete

Recruit
All right. I am a newbie to iboats, but I have already learned so much about the Islander from two EPIC threads about two different owners restoring a '76 Islander that I hope to share and learn along the way.

I just bought a 1976 22' Islander with a home-built cabin and a home-built outboard transom bracket. As bought, it has a seized Honda 130 that has already been rebuilt twice and is probably going to scrap. It's in Seldovia Alaska, so this will be an ocean-going vessel for halibut, salmon, whale-watching, and all types of recreational uses along Kachemak Bay and Cook Inlet.

I will probably have many questions and will make lots of mistakes to share with others. I'll follow up with some images and the "knowns" that I have so far. I haven't seen the boat in person yet, but it's sitting on my Dad's property in Seldovia and I'll be arriving there for a two-week surge of work and fishing (off his boat) later this month. (We live in Colorado Springs, but visit Seldovia every June) I have lots of videos and pictures that I'll share as we go.

We bought the trailer and got the boat for free ;-) but we'll be paying indirectly to hardware and parts suppliers. Total invested so far (in remote coastal Alaska, off the road system) is $2,500. I'll track costs and materials as we go. The trailer alone, in that fishing town, is worth at least $1,500 of that, so figure the boat is ours for $1K to start. My target for a powered, fully refreshed rig is under $7K with the motor the X-factor.

KNOWNS:
•The boat was used for guiding at Jumping Salmon Lodge
•The additional [bracket] adds about 24 inches to the stern. It has been driven in heavy water with that configuration.
•The prior owners represent that the hull doesn't leak and that they replaced originals with a lot of new rivets--we'll see.
•The cabin is home-built to a style (back-slanted windshield, etc.) common for halibut charters (six-pax) on Kachemak Bay.
•It does not appear the cabin was primed or painted with marine-grade materials.

PikesPete

Recruit
KNOWNS:
•The boat was used for guiding at Jumping Salmon Lodge
•The additional [bracket] adds about 24 inches to the stern. It has been driven in heavy water with that configuration.
•The prior owners represent that the hull doesn't leak and that they replaced originals with a lot of new rivets--we'll see.
•The cabin is home-built to a style (back-slanted windshield, etc.) common for halibut charters (six-pax) on Kachemak Bay.
•It does not appear the cabin was primed or painted with marine-grade materials.
PLANS:
  • I plan to strip and repaint virtually every surface. Most down to bare aluminum or wood, some (cuddy interior) may only need a hard sanding, reprime, paint.
  • I'm trying to source a used outboard between 80-140. I don't need max power, and want to hold weight down.
  • I'll take the cabin off to refinish it, but then plan to put it back on--It's needed in our environs.
  • I need to figure out dimensions on the cuddy to make custom cushions or some adaptation.
  • I'll reorganize all cables, lines, wiring but keep whatever's still working.
  • I don't plan to add foam or other flotation. I'll have SeaTow and I've spent my life on Alaska waters--floating for salvage isn't my priority.
  • I'm studying other threads and resources to get ideas and materials. I'll post what I'm planning to use. (In Alaska, you have to plan ahead because getting anything to the bush is hugely expensive. I need to buy my supplies in Anchorage, on my way to Seldovia.)

PikesPete

Recruit
PLANS:
  • I plan to strip and repaint virtually every surface. Most down to bare aluminum or wood, some (cuddy interior) may only need a hard sanding, reprime, paint.
  • I'm trying to source a used outboard between 80-140. I don't need max power, and want to hold weight down.
  • I'll take the cabin off to refinish it, but then plan to put it back on--It's needed in our environs.
  • I need to figure out dimensions on the cuddy to make custom cushions or some adaptation.
  • I'll reorganize all cables, lines, wiring but keep whatever's still working.
  • I don't plan to add foam or other flotation. I'll have SeaTow and I've spent my life on Alaska waters--floating for salvage isn't my priority.
  • I'm studying other threads and resources to get ideas and materials. I'll post what I'm planning to use. (In Alaska, you have to plan ahead because getting anything to the bush is hugely expensive. I need to buy my supplies in Anchorage, on my way to Seldovia.)
MATERIALS:
Citristrip paint remover
Rustoleum
  • Self Etching Primer (spray)
  • Protective Enamel (Spray and Roll)
  • Clear Coat (spray)
Stripping disks, wheels, cup wire brushes
Belt sander with 36, 80, 120 grit
A variety of sanding blocks and paper up to 800 grit
Bondo Brand Fiberglass and Resin (Might glass the cabin exterior)
JB Weld Marine-Tex and other epoxy products
Flex-Seal tape and sealing products for flexible applications

(I'm not really listing tools, just consumables and materials.)

What am I missing?

PikesPete

Recruit
For anyone that knows these older Starcraft runabouts, what is the gas tank configuration? I have two fill tubes on either side in the middle. Do they feed a single tank in the belly? If it isn't removable, what's the best way to clean a tank that's been sitting for years?

StarChief72

Recruit
That is interesting I've been thinking about doing something similar to my old Star Craft Chieftain