the 1967 Holiday 18 and Multiple Boat Syndrome

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: the 1967 Holiday 18 and Multiple Boat Syndrome

The 'header' across the opening to reach into the storage area is probably too thin to bridge the weight of the full fish box & the white leg of death owner atop the whole shebang. Using biscuit joint corners and the center divider, I suspect a single piece of angle across the back side of the opening would suffice.

B2: If it works as built, then it works. In the box or outside the box. Heavy on the AL channel/angle or not.

I work w/ someone who often doesn't understand there's even a box to think inside or not :facepalm: And somehow he always seems to choose the most difficult, time consuming & expensive alternatives. I think he's on a first name basis w/ the interior decorator that is trapped inside my Admiral's heart & soul.

barato2

Commander

Yeah, JB, you pegged it. the 1.5" wide strips of ply above and below the door are too weak to handle much even if the corner joints were hellacious stout. And as these next pix will show, the bracing across the front ties into the corner braces and other vertical bracing to spread the loads.
P1010193-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1010194-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Basically, it now has roughly 2x2 (total) oak crossmembers top and bottom, sandwiched between alum angle and flat bar, all bolted to the plywood and alum corner braces. once i get everything drilled and bolted, i'll pull it back apart for the JBweld slatherin. you mentioned the most expensive, time consuming, etc way to get it done? :facepalm:

P1010195-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Glen, I will have to look into the biscuit idea. Never worked with those and while they may not be the ticket for this job, might make the next set of kitchen etc cabinets I build cheaper and easier.

It’s pretty much done except for a little sanding with the drum on air grinder, for where the vertical supports stick up too high, and then installing the rest of the 10-24 screws & nylocks to replace the sheet metal screws I test assembled it with. I’ll dose it with the infamous thinned epoxy after I round the corners off a little, depending on what I decide to cover it with.

P1010196-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Like most marine ply, it is ugly and has loads of splinters, and I was planning to cover it in something...vacillating between white marine vinyl, leftovers from the Nautolex I’m using on deck, and walnut veneer, all of which I have. Or maybe formica-esque stuff, which I’d have to buy. Any input on that decision? Will Nautolex make a sharp corner without cracking?

dozerII

Admiral

Looks real good and very strong B2. I used Nautolex to cover the seat boxes in the 201 with out any problems. Use a liberal amount of 3M spray 90 and staples. It is a little hard on the knuckles when you trying to pull it tight.

barato2

Commander

I also got the boat back onto the trailer properly (by myself, just took some careful movement of one end at a time, 4" at a time) and got the bunks adjusted so it doesn’t rock too much when I’m inside it. so I was able to get started on test fitting the under-deck tank and its cradle. I moved it as far forward as I can get it, which will still leave about 3' of it sticking out from under the bow area.
P1010190-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Got tank and cradle centered between stringers, then laid bow deck section down on top of it and marked deck section for cuts and for where stringers hit. the blue line on tank is the aft edge of first deck section. Tonight I hope to make that cut and actually screw down the cradle to ribs.

P1010189-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Check out this pic of the tank in place.....with cradle, it sticks a full 1.5"+ above stringer level, so we’re back to building a Bridge over Troubled Bilgewater. I think I can reduce the tripping hazard to minimal if I cut the edges at a 45 degree angle so it slopes down to deck level instead of ending abruptly.

P1010192-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

finally, I guess I’m committed to the existing trailer now. Ordered new fenders and the last few rollers yesterday, to the tune of abt $180. i've been looking on CL for tires and wheels....Jeep stuff seems promising since Jeep owners ted to yank their factory wheels off pronto...and a set of 4 wheels will let me have 2 spares. i think that with a spare and the lug wrench riding in the boat along with one of those crescent-shaped trailer quick jacks, i could change a tire in 3-4 minutes or even less.

barato2

Commander

in fact, i think i;'ve found a set of wheels with usable tires for $80/four. bottom feedin' is the way we catfish and nurse sharks roll.....:love:

barato2

Commander

yess, and the temps down at the bottom are so cold that apparently the life down here moves pretty slow. no return contact from guy with wheels; there's a reason they call it Flakeslist. i found another set for $50 but they're steel too, and i may want to hold out for alloy given the salt water factor.

and on the eatin my words front, spent another 4 hours last night and 3 the night before one the "almost done" seat riser box, and now it's....almost done. :facepalm: don't worry, no pic barrage, yet.

dozerII

Admiral

yess, and the temps down at the bottom are so cold that apparently the life down here moves pretty slow. no return contact from guy with wheels; there's a reason they call it Flakeslist. i found another set for $50 but they're steel too, and i may want to hold out for alloy given the salt water factor.

and on the eatin my words front, spent another 4 hours last night and 3 the night before one the "almost done" seat riser box, and now it's....almost done. :facepalm: don't worry, no pic barrage, yet.

I can't understand why people put stuff up for sale then don't respond to potential buyers, I guess you can't fix stupid.

barato2

Commander

a short update but no pix for now. been working on finishing that "almost done" seat riser and i'm now "almost done" with it.

i did get the first floor section cut for the tank and dropped back in place, and i can see that the "bridge" will have to be higher even than i expected after the test fit with cradle.

Sr. Brown Truck dropped off my new plastic trailer fenders and a bunch of hardware for trailer, plus the backup VHF and antenna. i passed on the brackets for the fenders since they would have added 50% to the cost and looked like typical crappy Chinese thinmetal, so i'll need to fabricate some for this. i like the look and heft of the fenders, and figure that for a salt water boat, they're a no-brainer....plus replacing the old crusty-steel fenders will drop 15-20# from trailer weight.

no more progress on trailer wheels, but there's no rush on that. at some point, the right set of 15" wheels will turn up on CL.

Last edited:

SigSaurP229

Commander

Disaster averted! A close call falling off the trailer. And diaper rash - Keep Sig away! :eek:

Are you going to need a foot rest with the raised cooler seat? You have long legs attached to the flip-flops, but I have visions of Edith Ann. :lol:

HEY I only dropped mine once. I guess I kind of had that coming, she looks great B2 Can't believe I haven't posted in your thread before.

barato2

Commander

Hola estimados senores

been out of commission and out of town for about 10 daze dealing with aging-parent medical issues so I haven’t been on board recently. I got back psyched to work on the boat but found I was too exhausted to get much done til last night. And then work has been crazy this week, so it will be next week before I can get up to speed on y’all’s builds. It’s now looking VERY likely I’ll have boat ready for next Mexico foray, mostly cuz I burned up most of my accrued vacation dealing with the folks.

Anyway......I got the cradle for the bow tank screwed into place so I could measure for floorboard cuts, which in turn solved the issue of how far fore or aft to put the control console.....the big box in pics is serving as my “dummy mockup console”.
P1010200.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Tank extends a lot further aft than I’d expected, and if I had to do it over again, I’d go with the 18 gallon version of this tank instead of the 25.

P1010202.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Still, it will be pretty close to where factory puts console on Mariners.
P1010203.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Won’t be much room aft of console and seat once I get it all in, tho.

barato2

Commander

Got the seat riser box finally engineered and assembled..........
P1010199.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
P1010204.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

so I could take it back apart for epoxyin. :facepalm:
P1010205.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

note that for now, the seat makes a good rack for clamps and storage shelf.....
:rolleyes:
P1010197.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

barato2

Commander

finally, i got the second floor section cut out for tank clearance.
P1010206.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

the "bridge over troubled floorboards" will need to be one sturdy item, since floor section is a real flexible flyer that won't add much structural strength after the cutting.
P1010209-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

barato2

Commander

i have the weekend off, so hopefully i'll have some good progress pix to post on Monday despite the 40mph dust storms forecast for Sunday. found a set of Jeep wheels that would work great for the trailer and they even have the perfect tires on em (ie, TWO spares), but the guy wants $600 for the set. ouch. will have to think about that. also decided to go with torsion axles instead of replacing springs....more $ but these reduce sway compared to leaf springs, which will hopefully compensate for the increased sway due to using LT tires instead of trailer-specific ones. see y'all next week!

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Good to see ya back and well for sure a lot of progress and pics to boot. No, you really would not have gone with a smaller tank. The 25 will do just fine. Am a bit curious why you had to cut out the deck, was tank too high?? Possibly could have raised the decking and then still move the console a bit farther forward if desired. But all in all, still looking good.

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Good to see ya back B2. Sorry about your folks and hope everythings OK.

Tank is looking good man. $600 for a set a jeep take offs sounds a little high unless the tires are in really good shape and wheels are aluminum.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Nice progress, and I agree, once offshore, having nearly 50% more fuel will be a good thing.

But compared to the portabot, it'll seem like your filling a fueling truck at the gas station.....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear that, B2. Hope all is going OK. Boat must get moved to the back burner sometimes.

Hey for 6 Benjies you could do new axles and wheels and rims from Northern Tool. Got an NT in the desert?

dozerII

Admiral

I wondered were you went, sorry to hear about the illness issues, hope they will be okay.
Your right back in the saddle making progress though.

barato2

Commander

Thanks, gents. Parents are probably gonna be OK, but I suspect I’ll be making more trips over there in near future to wipe out the remainder of my accrued vacation. Really depressing watching em decline, tho. At one point, I didn’t recognize my dad from a distance.....a little old man hunched over in a wheelchair. :blue: Boat therapy much needed......

Am a bit curious why you had to cut out the deck, was tank too high?? Possibly could have raised the decking and then still move the console a bit farther forward if desired.
Willy– yeah, it stuck up about 1" higher than deck. I thought about raising deck but that would really generate some issues.....slightly higher CG, which would offset the very reason I put tank down there in 1st place, and then there are the issues with shortening the side panels, sliders, etc etc. Console already sits 48" high relative to deck. If I were starting from scratch, I’d probably go this route.

$600 for a set a jeep take offs sounds a little high unless the tires are in really good shape and wheels are aluminum.
Agreed, but both of those are the case. I’m guessing offroad capable LT rubber in 225/75-15 is likely to be >150/tire new. Still pondering.....

once offshore, having nearly 50% more fuel will be a good thing.

But compared to the portabot, it'll seem like your filling a fueling truck at the gas station.....

You said a mouthful there, JB. Let’s see, $3.63/gal (current Pemex rate for 93 octane) x 43 gal = $156.09! :eek:

Hey for 6 Benjies you could do new axles and wheels and rims from Northern Tool. Got an NT in the desert?
Unfortunately no, but there is one in TX somewhere since they hit me with sales tax. :grumpy: And this would get me no-name Chinese tires or at best Kendas that I suspect wouldn’t stand up to Mexican dirt roads very well, especially when aired down to 15-20 psi for washboard, which is why I’m looking for LT tires instead.

Last edited: