Terri Schiavo

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: Terri Schiavo

Meanwhile, back in Michigan, Dr. Jack Kevorkian rots away in a jail cell....

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by snapperbait:<br /> Meanwhile, back in Michigan, Dr. Jack Kevorkian rots away in a jail cell....
Oh, the irony.

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It's quite simple, but not easy.<br /><br />Humanity says we do all we reasonably can to sustain life.<br /><br />Medicine offers the opportunities to sustain life beyond what the rest of us can reasonably do.<br /><br />All we have to do is to work out where to draw the line between our reasonable and medicine's possible standards.<br /><br />Usually it's not a problem. Doctors, nurses and families make these decisions all the time without consulting judges or lawyers. Did it myself a few weeks ago with my father, in consultation with my stepmother and the aged care home. Let nature take its course when it's time to avoid the heroic measures on a frail body that's been ravaged by Alzheimer's and other problems for the past dozen years. <br /><br />Financial circumstances sometimes make the decisions for people who can't afford treatment, as do geographic factors for those who are too far away from help.<br /><br />Doctors and nurses do it a lot in hosptials, but quietly. They do it full-on in serious military triage where those who have little prospect of survival, or who have the misfortune to be so classified, are left to die. The same way they'd do it if there was a nuclear strike or other calamitous event in any city anywhere in the world. <br /><br />What worries me more is that a lot of people get excited about one rare out of the ordinary case like Terri Schiavo when there's tens of thousands of deaths every month we could avoid by being a bit more generous and a bit less jingoistic. Starting with some foul aged care homes in supposedly developed and caring Western countries and then moving down to butchers' yards like the Sudan at present.<br /><br />The poor quality of life of millions who could easily have a better one seems deserving of a lot more government, moral, philosophical and religious attention than the issue of the survival of any individual in a rare situation who has had the best of care and whose fate has been determined by an impartial judge who has given due weight to all arguments for and against the proposed action.

Drowned Rat

Captain

What exactly is this woman's mental status? Mostly what I hear on the news is that she's been in a coma for 15 years. Then I've also heard she can recognize people in the room. And after reading this thread some of you say she can eat on her own and, to some degree, communicate with people. Which is it? That is a huge disparity. What is the real story? I honestly cannot see any doctor withholding care to a patient that can eat on her own and even to the smallest degree, communicate. I don't care what any judge said. How come these details have not been in the news or am I just missing it?<br /><br />If Terri is truly in a coma, and I mean a true coma, then I think they are doing the right thing. I would guess that most people you ask if they were in that position, they wouldn't want to go on either. I hope I never have to make a decision like this.

Skinnywater

Commander

I've not seen in this thread anyone bring up the point that teams of Doctors, experts in the field of neuological knowledge have come to the qualified conclusion, she's brain dead !<br />This fact seems to be ignored by the her parents.<br />The experts, who are professionals have to base their findings on facts, not emotion.<br />The parents obviously have chosen to ignore the facts and embrace emotion.<br />The Florida State court bases it's findings on fact and law.<br />The media bases it's opinions on hype and sensationalism. <br />The "talking heads" base it on the same hype.<br />Congress is baseing it's decision as a response to the hype and sensationalism.<br /><br />Seems the more civilized we think we are, facts and truth, common-sense and reason, law and freedom, take second place to emotion, sensationalism and hype, and just plain sticking ones nose where it doesn't belong. :rolleyes:

xikxak

Petty Officer 1st Class

I voted let her go but I'm not sure what my decision would be if it were my daughter.My wife and I have living wills and I hope I never am faced with this decision.But I think congress should butt out. dave :(

SoulWinner

Commander

Skinnywater, doc's are on both sides of this one. Some say she's brain dead, some say she's not. And you are right, Congress has no business investigating baseball.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

She has no cerebral cortex, is what they say, whatever that is. :confused:

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

The function of the cerebral cortex determines personallity, intelligence, sensory impulses (feel, taste, touch, pain), and all motor functions...

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by snapperbait:<br /> The function of the cerebral cortex determines personallity, intelligence, sensory impulses (feel, taste, touch, pain), and all motor functions...
Soooo, if she has no cerebral cortex, she can't taste, feel any pain or know anything going on around her? :confused:

Ralph 123

Captain

First, Hello all! It's been a while!<br /><br />Wow, I'm kinda surprised by the poll results. I apologize if this has been suggested, but if you really want to understand this unusual case a little more I urge you to visit: http://www.terrisfight.org/ <br /><br />I think some of you might be very surprised by what you learn. <br /><br />Whenever you see bikers trying to break into a hospital to give someone water you know something unusual is going on.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Hey Ralph, long time no see. Hope all is well with you.<br /><br />As to your site, it's just like any other case, there's always 2 sides to it and this is just one side.<br />Very interesting site, but just one side of the story.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

Keep in mind that http://www.terrisfight.org is going to be very biased. They are obviously going to emphasize any detail that makes Michael Shiavo look bad, and de-emphasize or ignore any detail that does not support their cause.<br /><br />For example, there are doctors on both sides of the issue. Some say she is responsive, others say her case is hopeless, but you only hear one type of opinion on the website, as if the ONLY proffesional opinion is that she is responsive and improving.