Terri Schiavo

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Terri Schiavo

Your right Sean, but it is not up to us or the government to make that choice. It's up to the family.<br /><br />Someone stated in and earlier post that he was doing it for the money. There is none.<br />The parents are mad at him cause he would not give them any of the $700,000 he won in a malpractice lawsuit that he spent all on her hospital bills.<br /><br />Like I said, a lot of unanswered questions that will never come out to make everyone see that it is right or wrong.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Having been in a very simular position when I lost my first wife in 2003 I have to side with the Husband. <br /><br />There is never a correct answer.<br /><br />Bob

SoulWinner

Commander

Lester,<br /><br />I fully understand your point. A few years ago my friend and neighbor was faced with a similar situation with his father. The father had a living will wherein he refused to be kept alive on life support. The problem was that no-one in the family could bring themselves to pull the plug, and they couldn't find a copy of the will. He eventually died anyway.<br /><br />But, regardless of what she may or may not have said 20 years ago, is isn't in writing, and ultimately, that is what the law must rely upon. How many times have we all said something in passing, in passion or just BS'ing, that we later reconsidered?<br /><br />Look, maybe one day she will recover, maybe not. But to starve her to death is beyond inhumane. Murdering rapists are entitled to better treatment than that, so why is Ms Terry subject such profound cruelty. If the courts decide that her life is not worth sh*t and her current condition warrants her execution, what then is the justification for death by starvation? Is she so worthless that she doesn't even rate the same humane treatment as death row inmates?<br /><br />She has two parents who love her and want her tragic life to be spared. The courts owe it you, me and every American who lives in this great country to uphold the Constitution and the Bill of Rights and give her to her mom and dad. Void her marriage and let her live, just like thousands of others in similar shape.

Mrs Soulwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a question. If Terri doesn't realize she is even still alive, then what difference would it make in regards to her quality of life? She doesn't realize she has a life? Her parents have expressed that they are capable of caring for her until the Lord decides to take her. And if it is so important that her life end because it just isn't worth living, then why not a euthanasia shot to stop her heart? Because that would be considered murder! If she doesn't realize that she is suffering then I don't understand the big deal about putting her to death. I think homeless people live more horrible lives, but we are not out there sentencing then to death.... the average person even contributes to charities that benefit homeless people..... but we are all willing to jump on the wagon to "starve" (murder) Terri because WE don't think her life is worth living. If the "quality" of Terri's life can arbitrarily used as an excuse to starve her to death, which IMHO amounts to murdering her, shouldn't suicidal individuals be allowed to petition the courts on the same basis that the quality of their life is such that they should have the right to end their life. The last I heard suicide is still against law too!<br /><br />If you don't think you would want to exist in this world in such a manner, then it is your responsibility to make arrangements for yourself (such as with SBN).<br /><br />Do I think that her life is worth living? God no! But starving her to death is not the answer either. She has rights just like everyone else does and I personally believe at this point that those rights are being stolen from her and one day will be stolen from us if we don't find that point in which we stand up for what is right!

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I don't know about you all, but I would not want to live that way and if you ask, most would agree that they, too, would not want to.<br /><br />That's just the right thing to do. That way you are not a burden on people that have to go thru just this.<br /><br />Now with all I said, it was stated by him that she did not want to be this way, but if that is true, then why did he let them re-start her heart?<br /><br />Un-answered questions for sure, and I'm done with this one.<br /><br />My ticker is not 100%, but it has never stopped, but if it does, my orders are to let me go.

SoulWinner

Commander

Lester, believe me, I am in complete agreement with you. I wouldn't want to live like that, nor would I want to be a burden on my loved ones (remember though that her parents don't see her as a burden, they want her kept alive). But what about precedent? If Terry's husband is allowed to do this, it sets a dangerous precedent for all sorts of compromises to the historic and tranditional American beliefe in the sanctity of life, which is extended not just to humans, but to animals as well.<br /><br />If she were my child, I would want to end her suffering if she is indeed suffering. I wouldn't want to see my son reduced to what she is. But starvation as a way to end her life? If snuffing Terry is to be done out of compassion, then give her a lethal does of pain killer; but for God's sake, don't starve the poor creatue. Even lame horses get a quick and painless bullet in the brain. Rabid pit bulls that attack kids are given a painless shot to put them down. Terry is a person, not a freaking plant!

Mrs Soulwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

if Terri was such a burden to her parents, then why are they so adamant about fighting to have the chance to take care of her?<br /><br />And why is her husband so adamant of putting her down when there is someone out there that is more willing to take all the responsibility off of him?<br /><br />Just questions....

rogerwa

Commander

The judge in this case has also dismissed evidence of her wishes that she would not want to be put down. The judge in this case seems to be expressing his personal belifs and not necessarily advocating the rights of the wife. If she had made her wishes clear then there is a mandate for the action.<br /><br />Also, a feeding tube is not life support in my view. A respirator is life support.

eeboater

Commander

ON DRUDGE THIS AM <br /><br />
**Exclusive Fri Mar 18 2005 00:50:07 ET** The Chairman of the Health, Education, Labor, and Pension (HELP) Committee, Mike Enzi (R-Wyoming) has requested Terri Schiavo to testify before his congressional committee, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned. In so doing it triggers legal or statutory protections for the witness, among those protections is that nothing can be done to cause harm or death to this individual.<br /><br />Members of Congress went to the U.S. Attorney in DC to ask for a temporary restraining order to be issued by a judge, which protects Terri Schiavo from having her life support, including her feeding and hydration tubes, removed... Developing...

KaGee

Admiral

Lester,<br /><br />I empathize with you totally. I had MPOA over my dad and eventually POA. We got dad and mom to complete living wills, MPOAs and a will when mom had a heart attack in '99. We lost mom in 2002 and dad in 2003.<br /><br />Dad was diagnosed with cancer 6 months after mom passed. Several months later he had a stroke which activated the MPOA on my part. The stroke affected his short term memory and cognitive skills. Long story short, I, after talking with my brothers, had to decide to discontinue his cancer treatment. I viewed the chemo treatments cruel punishment to a person who did not even know what day it was. He passed away 3 months later. <br /><br />Terrie's case is difficult and most likely not related specifically to what most of us consider to be the definition of "life support".<br /><br />America has always been different from the rest of the world because, up to now, we do place a different value on life. As a society we have cared for those unable to do so themselves. Now it appears we are lowering ourselves to the level of the rest of the world. <br /><br />UPDATE: It appears the US Congrss is going to step in. Let's see.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

All that i can add is if i were in the same unfortunate position as Terry Schiavo, i would hope that someone with enough courage would pull the plug and not prolong my suffering and the manifestation of such sadness.

SoulWinner

Commander

Listen to this:<br /><br />Terry can eat. She doesn't need a feeding tube, she is capable of eating and drinking through her mouth. So if the feeding tube is removed, her parents could just feed her like any parent feeds a baby right? Wrong, her husband petitioned and has been granted an injunction that keeps anyone from feeding Terry or giving her water once the feeding tube is removed. That is NOT "removing life support" folks, that is freaking murder. As I said, Terry is a human being, not a dad-blamed PLANT!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

NOSLEEP

Commander

You hope someone would have enough courage to<br />starve you to death Elmer.? <br />Pigs at the slaughter house are entitled to a <br />more humane ending than that.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

I'm sure that an alternative and humane method of ending her suffering has been considered, for which are quite a few.<br /><br />EDIT: It puzzles me that some folks have not a twinge of conscience in their support for the death penalty, but if and when it arises that someone would like to choose euthanasia as a way to end the miserable suffering in what is left of their shattered lives those very same folks are all up in arms.<br />I'm not saying that euthanasia was Terry Schiavo's personal choice, but what if it was?

Mrs Soulwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

people who are given the death penalty are not locked in their cell and left to starve to death!! the get that euthanasia! If Terri had or was able to voice her personal choice for euthanasia, I would say go for it. But NOT starvation!!<br /><br />Did you know that up until the later part of 1992, Terri was being given rehabilitaion treatments and was improving? Did you know that it was in the later part of 1992 that all the money was awarded to Terri and her "husband" from a malpractice settlement? Did you know that it was during the early part of 1993 that her husband began refusing her appropraite recommended rehabilitation? And has been since then. <br /><br />How do we know if she would ever recover or not if she is not given the opportunity to go through the appropriate rehabilitation? Did you know that her "husband" has been using the money that was to be alloted to her medical treatment to pay attorney's fees to kill her?<br /><br />Just questions.....

NOSLEEP

Commander

Judge orders feeding tube to remain in place.<br />She hasn't been discarded yet.

SoulWinner

Commander

mrbscott,<br /><br />If you look up to my last post you see that Terry CAN EAT just like you and me, but like a baby, she can't feed herself. Sheesh dude :rolleyes: <br /><br />Here's a novel idea, why don't you try reading the posts in a thread before responding? :eek: