Temp?, from a 86' Merc. 175hp V6

2springers26

Seaman
Re: Temp?, from a 86' Merc. 175hp V6

2.4 's run HOT!!!!!!!!!! One trick hi perf did was install 3/8's rubber hose in the cyl cooling jacket to Slow the water down.. 2) per bank. I have done this on my 2.4 200 motor runs cooler with Less hot spots.. basically your making a dam to make the water flow around the cyl not short cut it by,,,, the 2.5's have a larger cooling jacket....

Boston Habba

Seaman
Re: Temp?, from a 86' Merc. 175hp V6

Took it to a local Merc mechanic. Here is what he found and told me after i gave him $200.<br /><br />The water pump base was melted on its bottom side. Not evident if you just looked at it when you replace the impeller. You have to pull the pump base out to see it. He replaced the base and it is running a lot cooler. At idle about 140, 3000 rpm 175 degrees, WOT about 200-210. Drop off WOT and it cools right down.<br /><br />Mechanic said that pump damage was probably due to running it on the muffs. He said that the cheap muffs that use only the tension of the wire frame do not provide enough pressure to supply enough water. He said throw the cheap one away and get ones that clamp on. His have a rod that passes through the inlet holes on one side and have a clamp on the other. he also said that you should let the water run for a minute or two before starting.<br /><br />that problem is solved! now for my wierd stalling problem - subject for a new topic.