tell WALMART TO RESPECT ITS WORKERS

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: tell WALMART TO RESPECT ITS WORKERS

To put any doubts to rest here are some facts. <br />I am not now or have i ever been a union worker.<br />I am infuriated by the "union" mentality. It's similar to the welfare mentality, "Because I am entitled to it!"<br />Overtime is any hours worked in excess of 40 in any one calendar week. And overtime pay is equal to not less than 1 1/2 times the normal hourly wage.<br />Some major corporations cheat employees out of overtime pay, namely AutoZone. I know this because the local store manager told me they don't pay overtime. This is in addition to a friend who worked there and told me the same.<br />If you work on the cash register, you can bust your butt, ot slack off and you have no ability to complete your 8 hours work load in any less than 8 hours, but if you are forced to stay another two hours, you won't accomplish anymore than 2 hours work in that time.<br />Companies are entitled to schedule employees for any length shift they need. But four 12 hour shifts are still subject to O/T laws.<br />Before a company can be compelled to obey the laws, someone must complain.<br />Not all communities are like your little corner of the world. Accept it, get over it and stop putting down those who don't hav eth esame opportunities as you do.<br />Everyone has the potential to be the CEO of a multi-billion dollar corporation. Not everyone can be the CEO of a multi-billion dollar corp. If they could who would ask, "Would you like fries with that?"<br />My parents were very poor when I was growing up, so I had very few priveledges that I did not work for myself.<br />I graduated high-school, never attended college, and have been a mechanic for over 10 years. <br />I worked several menial jobs before that, at or slightly above minimum wage. I was mistreated at most of those jobs, but in my communitiy, you put up with it, because there weren't many jobs available.<br /><br />These are facts. Indisputable facts. So now all you self-righteous people with the better-than-thou attitudes can get over yourselves and realize that life is not identical for everyone as it is for you. Just because someone doesn't have a skill, a trade, or an education DOES NOT mean that these people should or can be mistreated. Unfortunately companies, with more power than the employee, do take advantage of the unskilled laborers.

Twidget

Commander

David, I dont think anyone is trying to put you down. My personal story was supposed to give you an idea where I was coming from.<br /><br />My thought is that you shouldn't/can't get stuck in the 'this is all I will ever be' rut. You can improve yourself and your marketabililty. I dont think everyone can be or has the potential to be a CEO of a major corporation. I for one probably wouldn't be good at it. I'm not ruthless enough. <br /><br />When the company I work for aquired our local account, we had 5 people doing my job. We are now down to 2, due to attrition and transfers. They haven't replaced anyone and expected we remaining people to pick up the slack. We have done it successfully, so far. The only place in the company that I have noticed that isn't shrinking is the VP and up level. Thats just life these days. You cant take it personally.

Skinnywater

Commander

Nobody anywhere in this thread advocated mistreatment of employees David.<br /><br />However, I'm still a little confused your whole stance on this. You seem to be flopping around on the union issue. Yet you leave no doubt that still want to lash out.<br />I have an idea that my previous posts have struck a nerve. Maybe you've heard these same words from your own supervisor?<br />Possibly you think he's self-rightous also?<br /><br />Here, lets put this into perspective.<br />I've given you a little back-ground on myself.<br />The employees at the local Walmart are the same faces and we are a small community. However no less important.<br />Here are those faces and it's easy to put them into groups.<br />1. Young single mother types who are gainfully employed rather than watching Montel, getting depressed and feeling worthless about themselves.<br />2. Young kids 18-25 that are temporary and use Walmart for job experience and as a stepping stone in the path of life. My youngest daughter would fit into this catagory.<br />3.Middle-aged women who after staying at home raising a family for decades who now want a low stress job.<br />Pretty much for the same reasons as in #1 but also for a little extra to keep the credit cards in check. My wife fits into this group and she's seriously considering putting in an application.<br />4.Here's a little more complex group. Here it is usually males that have had menial jobs all their lives. They go one speed all day. They do as they're told and are generally satisfied doing the same thing day after day. They watch the clock and no-one expects any more from them than they do themslves.<br />5. The ever-so cheerful happy, well groomed, talk about anything greeter in the wheelchair. Has lived with spinal bifida all his life. He'd be happy doing the job for free. This position is alternated with a non-handicapped grandpa type.<br /><br />The alternative for these groups is working for less flopping Whoppers, AM/PM, little mom and pop places. Or watching Montel, snorting crank. Or leading lonely lives. <br />And none of these positions call for more than what the law and market forces allow in pay and benefits.<br />The way I see it Walmart and their employees are perfectly matched in their expectations.<br />If an employees needs or expectation changes, it should be for positive personal growth and should leave Walmart.<br /><br />And a little more in general David.<br />I look around the shop at my workmates and peers. They have backgrounds very similar to my own, they've all worked hard to be pro's. <br />And then I've seen a good many come and go.<br />The thing that undoubtably seperates the good from the bad, the average from the commendable, is always attitude.<br />It's almost always the one that isn't watching the clock. The one that's willing to give just a little bit more and the one who demands a little bit more of themselves. That is the person who's going to get noticed and appreciated by the boss.<br />Some might call it unfair. Some may call it self-rightious. <br />I'ma gonna call it fact.<br /><br />Truck drivers and auto mechanics David. Two groups that actually enjoy biochin' and gripin' about any and everything. <br />Since you've only been at it for 10 years, it'll take another 10 for you to get sick of it.<br />It's a cancer David, you'll be happier puttin' a wrench to the 'tude. ;)

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

The problem is everyone want's a $100,000 paycheck for $30,000 worth of work.
I'd be happy to get $30K for the $100K worth I do... E-gad.. My boss is a cheap son of a pup... I gotta start paying myself better... :D <br /><br />OJ.<br />
I have no idea why.....:{
If they build it, more northerners will come to rape and plunder our fragile home.. That is why.... :p

oddjob

Commander

My new shower curtains look great. But the suction cups ar on the wrong side dang it. <br /><br />The only problem I have with walmart is that I dont know where everything is and neither do the employees. LOL! <br /><br />Super Walmart is a sportsmans paradise. Everything you need at 4 in the morning!

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by oddjob:<br /> My new shower curtains look great. But the suction cups ar on the wrong side dang it. <br /><br />The only problem I have with walmart is that I dont know where everything is and neither do the employees. LOL! <br /><br />Super Walmart is a sportsmans paradise. Everything you need at 4 in the morning!
That's the only time I will go is between 2 and 5 in the AM.<br />In and out without all the people and cars. :cool:

tylerin

Commander

QUOTE]That's the only time I will go is between 2 and 5 in the AM.<br />In and out without all the people and cars. :cool: [/QB][/quote]<br />And they have a Big Macs Steakhouse in mine, where I can get a Sausage McMuffin really early :D

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by SBN:<br />That's the only time I will go is between 2 and 5 in the AM.<br />In and out without all the people and cars. :cool:
By tylerin, And they have a Big Macs Steakhouse in mine, where I can get a Sausage McMuffin really early :D
They have their own diner in the 3 here at my house.

tylerin

Commander

Originally posted by SBN:<br />
Originally posted by SBN:<br />That's the only time I will go is between 2 and 5 in the AM.<br />In and out without all the people and cars. :cool:
By tylerin, And they have a Big Macs Steakhouse in mine, where I can get a Sausage McMuffin really early :D
They have their own diner in the 3 here at my house.
Three??? Thought you lived in the sticks :confused:

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by tylerin:<br />Three??? Thought you lived in the sticks :confused:
I do, but it's progress you know.<br />They have 2 supercenters and a regular one that they are closing cause they are building another supercenter about 3 miles from it and plan on building another about 10 miles on to the west of me in another small town with a K-Mart. Go figure.

oddjob

Commander

Soon.....we will all be working for uncle sam! :)

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

A lot of changes in the cost of textiles are about to take place soon due to the increases in Chinese export taxes, and the new import tariffs imposed at our end.<br />The only thing we have to control is inflation, so start paying off those credit card debts...y'all ;)

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

THIS POST STILL LIVES? <br />I THINK THE LAST TIME I VISITED IBOATS WAS IN FEBUARY.<br /><br /> WALMART DID HAVE A BAD QUARTER COMAPARED TO TARGET!

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by David L. Moore:<br /> Just because someone doesn't have a skill, a trade, or an education DOES NOT mean that these people should or can be mistreated.
I beg to differ.<br /><br />Now, I'm not saying that they should be literally mistreated, abused, or forced to work in unsafe conditions. Rather, I am saying that they do not deserve all they are demanding.<br /><br />Think of Wal-Mart as it's own little society. In every non-union Wal-Mart in the world, the average floor worker is making slightly above minimum wage, but that's not acceptable for the union workers. They want an increase in wages, and an increase in benifits as well, but with the same work output as everybody else. Why would Wal-Mart pay wages twice as high in one single branch, with the same work output as every other branch?