tell WALMART TO RESPECT ITS WORKERS

PW2

Commander
Re: tell WALMART TO RESPECT ITS WORKERS

This kind of crap gives liberals a bad name.<br /><br />Labor is a commodity traded like anything else, and subject to the same effects of supply and demand. When there is a surplus of unskilled labor, wages will be low--sure they will have to replace lots of workers, but it is a cost of doing business. I'm sure they have factored the cost, and decided it is worth it.<br /><br />If you don't like it, get a skill that is in demand, and work somewhere else.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by PW2:<br /> This kind of crap gives liberals a bad name.<br /><br />Labor is a commodity traded like anything else, and subject to the same effects of supply and demand. When there is a surplus of unskilled labor, wages will be low--sure they will have to replace lots of workers, but it is a cost of doing business. I'm sure they have factored the cost, and decided it is worth it.<br /><br />If you don't like it, get a skill that is in demand, and work somewhere else.
PW, is that really you??? :eek: :D

PW2

Commander

To the extent WalMart is breaking any laws, if they are, they should be charged.<br />To the extent they are using existing laws to their advantage unfairly, you should work to change those laws.<br /><br />But don't expect WalMart, or any other corporation, to behave in some sort of "moral" fashion (whatever that means). In our society, we have the rule of law, which requires corporations to obey the law. Nothing more.<br /><br />Some corporations may choose to operate differently, for whatever reason, but they are bound only to obey the laws.<br /><br />Change the laws if you don't like that, or don't shop there.<br /><br />As far as mom and pop stores being greedy, I don't understand that. They make a conscious decision, theirs and theirs alone to make, that if they sell x number of items at y amount of profit, they will earn xy. That is the same decision that businesses make every day, big or small. That is the way a free market, and competition works.<br /><br />I suspect many of you are in a group that would suggest that the next hurricane that comes along, we should nor raise the price of the plywood we sell. And I bet not one of you that offer such wonderful advice own stock in the company that produces the plywood!

Twidget

Commander

That is a pretty self-righteous attitude there Skinnywater. Not everyone has had or can have the same priveledges you obviously have.
I dont know about Skinnywaters priveledges, but for myself I got out of high school and had 2 options. Work in the oilfield of W. Texas, or join the military. I am rather fond of all my fingers and toes, so I opted for the Navy. <br /><br />I dont buy that people dont have opportunities. The military will give a profession and provide money for college. <br /><br />That was just my $.02, take it for whatever its worth. I dont mean to sound harsh, but if I can do it, then anyone can.

PW2

Commander

Yes, it is me!<br /><br />And instead of trying to force companies to increase their costs unecissarily at the expense of their customers, a real liberal would want better schools and more affordable schools so that it is less difficult for people to aquire the skills that will be in demand in this global economy so Bill Gates and his like no longer need to look to India and elsewhere for qualified employees.<br /><br />And the sooner unions and everyone else understands that the days of upper middle class incomes for individuals without a salable skill are virtually, if not completely over, and start concerning ourselves with the quality of education available, the better off we will all be.

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by PW2:<br /> Yes, it is me!<br /><br />And instead of trying to force companies to increase their costs unecissarily at the expense of their customers, a real liberal would want better schools and more affordable schools so that it is less difficult for people to aquire the skills that will be in demand in this global economy so Bill Gates and his like no longer need to look to India and elsewhere for qualified employees.<br /><br />And the sooner unions and everyone else understands that the days of upper middle class incomes for individuals without a salable skill are virtually, if not completely over, and start concerning ourselves with the quality of education available, the better off we will all be.
This is flat out getting scarey! Twice in one DAY I agree with you! ;) :D :D

Skinnywater

Commander

That is a pretty self-righteous attitude there Skinnywater. Not everyone has had or can have the same priveledges you obviously have.
:D :D <br />Maybe that's the way you read it. However, It's more like what worked for me can work for him. It's also like, been there done that. <br />I'm a high school drop-out that joined the Army at 17. I'm a second generation auto mechanic that got married at 20 to a 17 year old girl.<br />It'll be 30 years with that same girl this August.<br />Raised 3 girls with the youngest in and out of the house going to Shasta College, one struggling to get by and the oldest managing a jewelery store. <br />My parents or hers didn't own their own home or a pot to wizz in.<br />David L. Moore I'm smack dab in the middle of the human race.<br />Since I've come from such humble origins and to be associated with such successful forms of "pond scum" and convey myself to you with hints of privledge, I'm your worst type of "pond scum". <br />I not only talk it, I've walked it.<br />Self-rightious? Not hardly, most people with humble origins and helpful direction do pretty good in this country. <br /><br />
When you can express a position with facts and reason, not just self-righteous demeaning of others you can elevate yourself above the pond scum that currently inhabits big-business. Then you can rejoin the human race.<br />
Since you're so far off on the first count, it's understandable that you'd attack me rather than recognize facts and reason.<br /> <br />Obviously your type of facts and reasoning values the collective bargain over individual effort and accomplishments. <br /><br /> There isn't a thing I said in that post that I haven't said to my own children and by actual experience isn't 100% true. It's strange you'd think so David, but I didn't think bad of the person that told me those same words many years ago. In fact, had I not respected his wisdom maybe I'd be working for Walmart.<br />While your advice to your children may reflect your ideals. I'm not comfortable teaching them that hard work, good attitude, adaptability, and personal responsibility is trumped by the local union.<br /><br />I know your idea of putting your beloved union on the evil "pond scum" is your answer.<br />In itself it shows your inabilty to reason. After all your attack did nothing to debate my previous points. <br />Imagine if what66 actually considered my advice, you'd be out that drain on the taxpayer your on about. He and his family would be better off, his community would be better off, the country would be better off and Walmart would be better off! That's a win/ win situation for everyone except for your beloved union and your liberal values.<br />And after all, that's really what has your hair up. <br />Not decency, integrity, facts or reason.<br /><br />Here, if it'll make you feel any better David. Here's a quote that changed my professional life 20 years ago. It's from a book I read to help me become a better employee for my employer. It enabled me to buy a nice home on 5 acres. A new NorthRiver jetboat back in 2003. And a baby Benz in the garage.<br /><br />For what66;<br />"Strive to be irreplaceable, this puts greed on an equal level between you and your employer."<br />Lee Ioacoca

KaGee

Admiral

Guess this is the obligatory monthly bash Walmart thread. :rolleyes:

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you don't like Wal-Mart, don't shop there.<br />If you don't like working at Wal-Mart, work somewhere else.<br />How hard is that? :rolleyes: <br />The ol "There aren't any jobs out there" is a cop-out nowadays.<br />Everywhere I look, I see "Taking applications" on the marquee or posted in windows.<br /><br />The problem is everyone want's a $100,000 paycheck for $30,000 worth of work.

90skichallenger

Petty Officer 1st Class

I shop at Wal-mart because it has the cheapest prices in town on the things I need. I have to think of my wallet when I go shopping, thats just reality. If a M/P store could come close to their price and selection, I would go. Otherwise Walmart, here I come.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by SBN:<br /> <br /><br />The problem is everyone want's a $100,000 paycheck for $30,000 worth of work.
Not true SBN, I want $100,000.00 for Staying Home. :D

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Everybody loves to pick on WalMart.<br /><br />I gurantee the majority of other employers do the same exact things.<br /><br />WalMart is just an easy target for the idiot media.<br /><br />Solution - get a skill.<br /><br />I wonder, maybe WalMart doesnt want to pay people that work past thier shift cause SOME (not all) employees don't work to their full potential. In other words, work hard and you will finish in 8 hours. Slack off and you will take 10. I am not paying you for 2 extra hours just because you are a slacker.<br /><br />Ken

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by NYMINUTE:<br />
Originally posted by SBN:<br /> <br /><br />The problem is everyone want's a $100,000 paycheck for $30,000 worth of work.
Not true SBN, I want $100,000.00 for Staying Home. :D
That is different NYM.<br />Lot's of people get paid to stay at home, just look at the welfare line.<br /><br />That's another thing, not to hi-jack the thread, but man that eats me up to see these people that are able to work get on welfare and food stamps.<br /><br />Save that stuff for the people that really need it, like the disabled etc.<br /><br />Get off your sorry butt and get a job.<br /><br />Oh yea 90ski, I too shop at Wally World because of the prices. It's all in the bottom line anymore. If I can save a buck, I will just like everyone else.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by KenImpZoom:<br /> Everybody loves to pick on WalMart.<br /><br />I gurantee the majority of other employers do the same exact things.<br /><br />WalMart is just an easy target for the idiot media.<br /><br />Solution - get a skill.<br /><br />I wonder, maybe WalMart doesnt want to pay people that work past thier shift cause SOME (not all) employees don't work to their full potential. In other words, work hard and you will finish in 8 hours. Slack off and you will take 10. I am not paying you for 2 extra hours just because you are a slacker.<br /><br />Ken
Not only that, but have you seen some of these jobs they have to do?<br />"Hello, welcome to Wal-mart"<br />Now that takes a lot of skill and they want 15 bucks an hour to say that for 8 hours?<br />Come on. :rolleyes:

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

No company in the world can deny you your pay for hours worked, overtime or not. However, it is completely within the companies rights to set your schedule however they choose (within certain guidelines).<br /><br />If the company wants to set your schedule, or even change it on the fly, to three 8-hr days, one 10-hr day, and one 6-hr day, that is completely within their rights, an no overtime needs to be paid since the total is a 40hr week.

D

DJ

NOONE is forcing ANYONE to work there. If you want the government to control everything, that choice will be LOST.<br /><br />Don't like it, don't sign up.<br /><br />Geez, get over it!

PW2

Commander

Most companies learn that it is cost effective for them to treat their employees reasonably, if not well, in order to maintain a stable workforce.<br /><br />Training is expensive, however menial the job is, and productivity is the key to running a successful business. You won't have a productive workforce if you are constantly training new workers, or have low morale.<br /><br />Perhaps WalMart has not learned this lesson yet, but I tend to doubt it.<br /><br />There are minimum standards required by any employer and laws regarding employment that must be met, that vary from state to state.

D

DJ

By Joe, I think PW2 and I agree on something.<br /><br /> :eek: ;) :)

oddjob

Commander

I went to walmart superstore today at lunch time. two shower curtains, a liner. and a complete king-size bed out-fit for 70$ :) . <br /><br />They want to build another just outside my neighborhood and everyones boycotting it. I have no idea why.....:{

D

DJ

I have no idea why.....:{
You want the reason? Really?<br /><br />The reason is that anything succesful in this country is assumed to be "evil" and "cheating" in the eyes of todays "elites" and the media.<br /><br />By the way, the "elites" of today are 60's demonstrators that never had a real job. They just got educated to the point of stupidity and now control todays academic strongholds. <br /><br />BTW, todays academic job performance has nothing to do with the actual learning of young people. Promotions are based-solely-on ones ability to complete another step in the education process. In other words, take another class and get promoted.<br /><br />What are those stongholds? Universities, and the NEA-the nations strongest union.