tell WALMART TO RESPECT ITS WORKERS

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: tell WALMART TO RESPECT ITS WORKERS

I thought WalMart was evil and it would be good riddance. :confused: <br /><br />I thought a store closing would be good news to allow the "mom and pop" stores to come back. :confused: <br /><br />Ken

Twidget

Commander

Hmm, well, its their toy, they can play with it however they want.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Today it is walmart trying to squash people's legal rights,tomorrow it is your boss. Better try and stop it now!!

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Wal-Mart is just like any other company, it's their business and they can run it the way they want, if you don't like it, go elswhere to work. Pretty plain and simple.<br /><br />In the case, it's "cutting your nose off to spite your face" as they say.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by KenImpZoom:<br /> I thought WalMart was evil and it would be good riddance. :confused: <br /><br />I thought a store closing would be good news to allow the "mom and pop" stores to come back. :confused: <br /><br />Ken
Yea the mom and pop stores with say errrrrrrrrr, maybe 3 or 4 employees.<br />Yea, that sounds about right. :D

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

Workers have the right to unionize for a voice on the job, as well as the right to negotiate fair wages and benefits. <br /> that is a cut from the petition. on the flip side wal-mart has the right not to do business if its a money losing prospect.<br /> I would not sign a petition like that. if ya dont wanna work at wally world go work at the macky d's.<br /> the only concern I have is not following labor laws that state how and when compensation is supposed tobe paid and wheter or not your full time or part time with a full time schedule

Skinnywater

Commander

The mom and pop stores in my own small local community sells the same items for 50% to 100% more than the Walmart 18 miles down the road.<br />I've done the math, fixed expenses, cost of goods, margin of profit. Mom and pop are still greedy.<br />The local Safeway (giant chain) grocery store does the same thing. The Safeway 18 miles down the road with other competition in town sells the same food for 20% less.<br />Fifteen miles down the road is a huge Walmart distrbution center. It employs hundreds of people with hundreds more on a waiting list.<br />I have only one freind who works at the Walmart distribution center. He owns his home, his wife drives a newer red Camaro, and he drives a newer Tahoe. He likes his job.<br /><br />Anyone working at a Walmart is a taxpayer, consumer and a person with a job.<br />I visit the local Walmart on average twice a month for years. I still see the same faces working there, that's reality.<br /><br />The union bosses better start brushing up on their Mexican, Chinese and Indian languages.<br />Because they've been running the jobs over there at a fast pace.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Walmart in the midwest goes through its personnel quite rapidly. Turnover is due in part to those laid off from factories and other jobs hooking up w/ WM until other avenues open. The other part seems to be the younger and sometimes less educated people become a bit less receptive to the unusual demands. If unionized here in the US the increase in prices will allow competition to really compete. Kroger grocers has been plagued by their union and local markets have taken advantage.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

one slight variable in the relationship could be purchasing related to sales volume...<br /><br />example:<br />Wal-Mart buyers sending in 500,000 unit orders will be getting a substantial reduction on purchase price.. they also handle their own distribution (buy 'factory direct' in most cases)<br /><br />'mom and pop' that go through distribution centers to buy 50 units monthly don't get quite the same purchasing price :D .. so its reflected in their point of sale price to you, the consumer. .. its respective - lopsided but, respective.

Twidget

Commander

I worked for a family run office equipment business in Abilene, TX when I first got out of the Navy. Abilene is about 90k people and only had 2 dealers at that time.<br /><br />My boss would not sell anything for less than retail plus ten percent. Someone could get the exact same thing thing in Fort Worth for less than retail, because of competition. Company policy...you bought it in Fort Worth, you get it serviced in Fort Worth. He would not do maintenance, or service on anything he didnt sell.<br /><br />At that time, every ma and pa retailer in Abilene was that way. By my way of thinking, if someone could take a day or two to drive to DFW, stay in a motel and still save money, something is wrong.<br /><br />Last time I was out to visit my Dad, I notice the old place had shut down. Seems competition moved in and they couldnt/wouldnt compete.<br /><br />Just an aside, this is the same dealer that had a salesman working for straight 10% commission. The guy busted his butt and made $100k one year. Big Boss decided that he was making too much, so he cut his commission back to 8%. Next year, the guy made $100k again. Boss cut his commission to 7%, salesman left. Go figure.

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

First I love the UK Asda Walmart. Its great. But in the US I had heard that the wages were very low, which basically leads to YOU the US tax payer subsidising the $8.9 billon pounds profit. So maybe a Union wouldnt be such a bad thing.<br /><br />
For a two-hundred-employee Wal-Mart store, the government is spending $108,000 a year for children's health care; $125,000 a year in tax credits and deductions for low-income families; and $42,000 a year in housing assistance. The report estimates that a two-hundred-employee Wal-Mart store costs federal taxpayers $420,000 a year, or about $2,103 per Wal-Mart employee. That translates into a total annual welfare bill of $2.5 billion for Wal-Mart's 1.2 million US employees

what66

Petty Officer 1st Class

well I should put in my 2cents.<br />I have worked for walmart for more than 2 years <br />and there were times when they seemed unfair<br />but most of the time its agood place to work I know a lot of my coworkers and most of my boses are good people.<br />I think the unions see walmart making all this money <br />and the get dollar bills in there eyes<br />just think of all those union dues the would get.<br />for the most part walmart is a good company the media had been unfair but like any company they do have some problems.

knarrman

Cadet

aaahhhhh...just have you know who stay home and wax the boat

Skinnywater

Commander

Thanks what66, I make a pretty fair wage and benefits and could describe my employer the same way.<br />Employees at small mom and pop stores aren't cuttin' any fat hog in the rear either. <br />They stand in the same line for assistance as a Walmart employee.

what66

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by what66:<br /> well I should put in my 2cents.<br />I have worked for walmart for more than 2 years <br />and there were times when they seemed unfair<br />but most of the time its agood place to work I know a lot of my coworkers and most of my boses are good people.<br />I think the unions see walmart making all this money <br />and the get dollar bills in there eyes<br />just think of all those union dues the would get.<br />for the most part walmart is a good company the media had been unfair but like any company they do have some problems.
I was wronge walmart doesn't repect there workers at ALL!<br />after working for walmart for 3 years I can tell you if you feel to good abouht your self go work at walmart they will knock you down a peg.<br />To save money they will not hire replacements for people that quit.<br />They won't buy the equpment required to do the job.<br />They make 4 people do the job of 12 and then tell theam they are not doing enought.<br />They actally made us sighn a paper that said they could FIRE us at any time for no reason.<br />and if you didn't sighn they would punish you.<br />wlmart was a good company but when sam walton died it started going to h@#$.<br />they don't care abouht the employees at all they make us work past our shifts and then won't pay the over time the make us cut hours to avoid over time.<br />and If you get overtime you get in trouble.<br />I wonld not recommend walmart for anyone not even my worst enemy if I could make this much any where else I would quit in a min but I'm stuck here so if walmart doesn't start treating the workers better soon there won't be any left to work there.<br />not every one will put up with this cr%^.<br />In closing walmart sucks. :mad:

Skinnywater

Commander

To save money they will not hire replacements for people that quit.<br />They won't buy the equpment required to do the job.<br />They make 4 people do the job of 12 and then tell theam they are not doing enought.<br />They actally made us sighn a paper that said they could FIRE us at any time for no reason.<br />
:D <br />Sounds like 97% of the other jobs out there that aren't union or government.<br />I'm talking about mom and pop stores, fast food, hardware stores, resturaunts and most other service jobs that don't require above average skills and education. <br /><br />Here's my advice.<br />Suck it up, since you have a paycheck. Go back to school, learn a useful trade or get a meaningful education. <br /><br />Loose the attitude, it's a cancer to your workmates. <br />Pull yourself up and quit expecting your employer to babysit your life.

Trent

Captain

Walmart put a "major hub" here last year. Of the six hundred people they hired at first only ten percent are left. They are still looking for people. Thats alot of people!

NathanY

Commander

bla bla bla walmart is evil, bad, horrible place to work. So what. So is every other place to work. I hate working, so does everyone else. If you dont like working for walmart, dont work there. Get on down the road. If walmart was such a bad place to work, they would not have over 1 million employees. Quit being so lazy and do your damn job.

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Skinnywater:<br />
To save money they will not hire replacements for people that quit.<br />They won't buy the equpment required to do the job.<br />They make 4 people do the job of 12 and then tell theam they are not doing enought.<br />They actally made us sighn a paper that said they could FIRE us at any time for no reason.<br />
:D <br />Sounds like 97% of the other jobs out there that aren't union or government.<br />I'm talking about mom and pop stores, fast food, hardware stores, resturaunts and most other service jobs that don't require above average skills and education. <br /><br />Here's my advice.<br />Suck it up, since you have a paycheck. Go back to school, learn a useful trade or get a meaningful education. <br /><br />Loose the attitude, it's a cancer to your workmates. <br />Pull yourself up and quit expecting your employer to babysit your life.
That is a pretty self-righteous attitude there Skinnywater. Not everyone has had or can have the same priveledges you obviously have. And I didn't read any expectation of a babysitter. If decency and integrity were still important values in todays society, we wouldn't be having this thread. Whereas I agree that one has control over their lives, unions came about for a reason. It was greed. Not the workers greed, it was the employers greed. Employees had no say, no control and no protections. Unions were a way to level the playing field. They were a way to force the employer to treat their employees like the human beings they were. Unions helped to make workplaces safer. Unions have lost their way, but that does not change the good they have done. <br /><br />When you can express a position with facts and reason, not just self-righteous demeaning of others you can elevate yourself above the pond scum that currently inhabits big-business. Then you can rejoin the human race.<br /><br />Whereas all Walmart employees can be thankful to have a job, don't forget the facts Chris Myers quoted. I read the report that excerpt is from, so I know it is from a credible source. Is it fair to me (a taxpayer) that Walmart is making huge profits by forcing the true cost of living for it's employees on the government social assistance plans? I think not. And forcing employees to work and not be paid, or not paid for overtime hours worked is not only unfair, it's unlawful, and unethical. But then again ethics are lost on today's business executives and managers.