Tell tale question

octane

Seaman Apprentice
So I have read a bit on the subject but I don't understand something... even reading the service manual as not helped.

When I run my engine (2008 merc 115 4 stroke) in the water, there is water comming out the tell tale the moment the engine starts, but when I run it on muff, no water comes out.

I read that because there is a thermostat that it might take a minute or two before it opens up and water comes out the tell tale when running on muffs, but why does it not apply to when the engine is in the water?

and when I use the flushing port (that connects a hose to the tell tale) water will come out the exhaust and water inlet? even if the Tstat is closed?

will I cause damage if I run on muffs, and water only comes out the exhaust port?

thanks

Irv964

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Tell tale question

So I have read a bit on the subject but I don't understand something... even reading the service manual as not helped.

When I run my engine (2008 merc 115 4 stroke) in the water, there is water comming out the tell tale the moment the engine starts, but when I run it on muff, no water comes out.

I read that because there is a thermostat that it might take a minute or two before it opens up and water comes out the tell tale when running on muffs, but why does it not apply to when the engine is in the water?

and when I use the flushing port (that connects a hose to the tell tale) water will come out the exhaust and water inlet? even if the Tstat is closed?

will I cause damage if I run on muffs, and water only comes out the exhaust port?

thanks

Good question! I assume my 2007 90 Merc 4 stroke would be the same? Looking forward to seeing an explanation on this one............Irv964