Tell me I'm not nuts.

eeboater

Commander
My wife and I are planning on taking our dog to "Doggy Daycare." There is an organization in the Milwaukee metro area called Central Bark. ( http://www.centralbarkusa.com) We toured the location nearest to us last night and really liked what we saw. The place we toured was over 4000 sq. ft. large. They had huge open play areas for the dogs to play in. Basically, it is just like a child's day care. You take the dog there in the morning before work, he plays all day, and you pick him up at night when you are done. All for a small sum of $18.50. They have a whole program for the dog laid out for the day:<br /><br />Dropoff - 12:00 PM - Playtime with other dogs.<br />12:00 - 2:30 PM - Naptime (they get put in crates to calm down.<br /><br />2:30 - 4:30 - More playtime with other dogs<br /><br />4:30 - Pickup - Naptime (calm them down for their owners)<br /><br />The whole time they are playing, they have two trainers/babysitters who are working on their skills with other dogs and working on their basic skills... ie, sit, stay, come, laydown.<br /><br />We have a 3 yr old 120 lb St. Bernard who is needless to say a bit "Rambunctious" at the end of the day after being crated all date while at work. <br /><br />We are planning on sending him once a week (presumably Wednesday) to give him some playtime. <br /><br />Many think we are nuts, but here is our thought process. First, we can afford it with no problem, so the cost factor isn't even bothering us. Second, most people say "well he's just a dog" but out thought is, if you had the choice between sitting in a large crate all day, and running around and playing with other dogs... which would you choose? Lastly, it will give us at least one night a week (perhaps two depending on his "recovery time", and all people who have large breed dogs know what I'm talking about) where we can just relax and watch a DVD or somethign...etc. <br /><br />What do you guys think? <br /><br />Sean

NYMINUTE

Captain
Re: Tell me I'm not nuts.

I love it, wish we could do that with the Great Dane and Lab. They drive me crazy at night wanting to play(I'm talking 4-10PM) non stop. Sounds like a great business idea.

KaGee

Admiral

Ahhhhh.....Doggy Daycare!<br /><br />How well does your dog socialize with other dogs?<br />Is he fully immunized? (Cost me $35 a piece the last time to fully update each dog!) Is he getting flea treatment? That's a prime place to pickup the critters.<br /><br />My dogs both do not do well around other dogs. So the experience for them is somewhat traumatic. I did it once because I had no other choice... took a few days for them to settle back into normal routine.

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What, no swimming pool?<br /><br />
f899fcf1.jpg

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by NYMINUTE:<br /> They drive me crazy at night wanting to play(I'm talking 4-10PM) non stop.
He...Heeee! I'm so glad misery loves company! :p <br />Ours are exactly the same. I can't get any peace! The only way I do is when I go on business trips.... then they drive wifey crazy! :D

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by KaGee:<br />
Originally posted by NYMINUTE:<br /> They drive me crazy at night wanting to play(I'm talking 4-10PM) non stop.
He...Heeee! I'm so glad misery loves company! :p <br />Ours are exactly the same. I can't get any peace! The only way I do is when I go on business trips.... then they drive wifey crazy! :D
Face it.. we get them as pets, they become part of the family...then head of household. :D

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Another reason for me leaving the dogs outside. The come inside and think they own the place.<br /><br />Ken

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

My first thought was "yeah, you're nuts" until I saw the part about "crated all day." My opinion, well worth the $18.50 once or twice a week. I think it's a good thing you're doing.<br /><br />Just out of curiosity: <br />Three years old and has to be crated? Does he have potty-training issues or is he a chewer? <br />Is it too cold up there even for St Bernard to stay outside?<br />What's his name?

eeboater

Commander

Whew! Thanks for calming my nerves guys! He does really well with other dogs... He's actually a big lug. I often think that his pea brain thinks he only weighs 25 lb. The good thing is that there is a Great Dane and two other St. Bernards that would be attending daycare on Tuesdays... so he'll get to play with some other Linbacker sized dogs. The only ones he's ever gotten to play with are Labs and Retrievers!<br /><br />Sean

mattttt25

Commander

if properly trained, the crate is non-issue. our dogs loved their crate. not a bad thing.<br /><br />as for the day care, sounds cool for the dog. although i don't understand how you get a free night to watch movies. you gonna leave him crated at this place and pick him up at 10pm?

Fly Rod

Commander

:) "YOU ARE NUTS!!! NUTS!!! HEE!!! HEE!!!! :D :D <br /><br />You wanted to be told that you are "NUTS!!!" So therefore you have been told!!!!! Have a great day!!! ;) :cool: <br /><br />Happy Holidays!!!! :cool: :cool:

eeboater

Commander

The main reason he is crated is for sanity reasons of our own. He doesn't have a chewing problem, its more the occasional chewing that bothers us. We know that when you own a dog, there is always a chance something will get chewed, but we're playing the better safe than sorry route. We have too many high value things that we don't trust him around... you know, kitchen tables, expensive TV, etc. Don't get me wrong, he loves his crate. He has no qualms with going in there in the morning so as matt said, it is not a bad thing. <br /><br />We do take him to the groomer every couple months to get cleaned up and clipped so, the idea of leaving him outside all day is something that we are not too keen about. Not to mention, since he is a "high value" dog and one who is willing to walk up to and hang with any stranger, he is a very big target for getting stolen. Now, we don't live in a bad neighborhood so I would never in a million years expect to have him stolen but again, better safe than sorry.<br /><br />As for a free night to watch movies. That isn't a high priority thing as we can normally watch movies and do whatever anyways. We just know that the instant he gets home from Day Care... he will be asleep in the living room until we wake up for work the next morning.<br /><br />Sean<br /><br /><br />PS.. Thanks Fly Rod!! I said tell me I'm NOT nuts.. HEE HEE :D

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

85lb 2 year old lab.....hyper as hell. We only bring him down once or twice a month... and he comes home and sleeps for hours afterwards. <br /><br />$20/day $100/week or $380/month plans available at daycar near me. Hours..7am-9pm M-Sat 7am-6pm Sunday.. and they even have pickup/drop off service.<br /><br />Luna Sea - nice pic of you pup...going to try to get mine out with me next year. :cool: Where do you dive? (I'm with the South Shore Neptunes, we do Grave's Light..City of Salsbury and that area generally)<br /><br />-JustMrWill

sangerwaker

Commander

Sounds like a great idea Sean. I'm sure it will also make him a more sociable dog, around other dogs at least. I really like the idea for owners who don't socialize their dogs. It will make them better behaved around other dogs I would imagine.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) "OOOOOOOOOOH!!! SORRY!!!!!! :D <br /><br />YOUR NOT!!! YOUR NOT!!! YOUR NOT!!!! "NUUUUUUUUUUUUUTS!!!!!!!!" :D :D <br /><br /><br />Happy Holidays!!!!! ;) :cool:

spratt

Lieutenant

Sounds as though, with all the folks who have pets that are treated like children, that I need to look i nto a business just doing some Daycare...like visiting the house and exercising the pet for a short while each day...maybe it would pay better than being a Network Engineer:)

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

I would predetermine who's going to be responsible for VETERNARY care if your dog gets or mangles another,

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by wajajaja:<br /> I would predetermine who's going to be responsible for VETERNARY care if your dog gets or mangles another,
I agree.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by mattttt25:<br /> if properly trained, the crate is non-issue. our dogs loved their crate. not a bad thing.
Sorry, I understand about crating, I implied it's bad but didn't mean to. Just that if he's got a dog run, or the run of the house, I might've said "you are definately nuts!"<br /><br />Our 3-yr old 70lb "yeller dog" hound started out as outside dog but we're suckers for big brown eyes. He potty trained in about 3 days, no kidding, he never once made a mess or puddle in the house. So I never got around to crate-training him; I finally bought a kennel big enough & now I can't get him in it, beg, bribe or threaten! It's a bother sometimes but luckily he's well-behaved. Never had a dog that would chew anything that wasn't handed to him; not sure how I managed that, just lucky I guess.