Teleflex SeaStar Hydraulic Outboard Steering Kit

JamNJ1955

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 2001 WalkAround 2002 with a Mercury 150hp, the boat came with the Rack & Pinion Mechanical Steering System(2 Cable). Every spring I have to perform hours of maintenance on the cables, removing and lubricating them so steering is at least bearable.
I want to upgrade to a hydraulic system and want to know if anyone has completed this upgrade, and how are the results.
I emailed Teleflex Marine about their Baystar systems, but they recommended the SeaStar HK6400A system.
If anyone has any information, please let me know.

Thanks

John

NJ

Re: Teleflex SeaStar Hydraulic Outboard Steering Kit

Hello John, I have just bought a baystar set HK4200A for my 2002 but not yet installed it. So I'll have to do the same work as you..JWhy did Teleflex recommend the sea star system? Any particular reason?
/Martin

sschefer

Rear Admiral

The baystar is a transom mounted ram and the sea star is a engine mounted ram. I ran the SeaStar Pro with the tilt helm and it was amazing. Installation is simple the only thing you have to remember is to cross the lines at the helm. What is port and starboard at the ram is opposite at the helm. Once you get it all setup you have to bleed it. The instructions are in the manual and you need to follow them to the letter. Even then, it's difficult to get all the air out so I recommend that you get close and then take it to a good brake shop and have it power bled. Teleflex sells a power bleeder if you want to go that route. If you don't get it blead out all the way it will get cyclic on you and drift. It's not gonna do a hard right on you or anything but you'll get tired of making the corrections all the time.

The SeaStar Pro is the best way to go and will be your long term solution. The Baystar is rated up to a 150 2 stroke motor. The Sea Star will handle anything you throw at it except maybe a 7 engine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZaQgQIUt8w

JamNJ1955

Petty Officer 3rd Class

FYI: Info on SeaStar

Mercury 150, on 2002 Walk Around

John:
BayStar is not recommend for this boat/engine combination

We only recommend that the SeaStar system be used on this boat, part numbers are as follows;

• HK6400A, steering kit, 1 ea (comes with 1 x HC5345 cylinder, 1 x HH5271 helm pump and two bottles of fluid)
• HO51xx, Steering hoses, 1 ea (xx is the length, in feet, that you will need to determine)

You will be able to order the above parts from your local marine parts dealer

Thanks
Marc

JamNJ1955

Petty Officer 3rd Class

SeaStar.jpgOK,

Today we installed the seastar system. I had cut the old cables and removed the rack system last week, so it only took about 4/5 hours. I did have a marine mechanic who helped me on his day off.....he was well worth the $ I gave him for his help.

The biggest obsticle was inseting the new support rod into the motor, there is not enough clearance. We had to take off the bottom motor bolts, the top starbard bolt and loosen the Port top. We used a floor jack and a block of wood to support the motor. Alittle scary, but actually went pretty smooth.

I cannot explain how EASY it is to turn the wheel now, why did I wait so long?

John