Tekonsha Prodigy + Electric/Hydraulic Brakes

N3UP

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 14, 2010
Messages
125
Has anyone used the Tekonsha Prodigy with Electric over Hydraulic brakes?

I'm going to be getting a new trailer built ofr the boat I'm getting and I plan on Elec/Hyd brakes.
The "original" Prodigy (not the Prodigy P2) doesn't have any info about being compatible.
I really like the Prodigy with the Electric brakes on my Camper and the Band trailer I tow.

I'm not sure which actuator Slide On uses on their Elec/Hyd setups, but I will ask when I place the order.

I'm already jumping through enough hoops with the wifey getting the boat, I don't want to have to try to explain that I'll need a new brake controller too.....

Before anyone mentions surge brakes, I won't have them. The camper had them and I converted it to electric because I couldn't stand those surge brakes....
 

bruceb58

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Mar 5, 2006
Messages
30,824
Re: Tekonsha Prodigy + Electric/Hydraulic Brakes

I have used the Prodigy with the elec/hydrailic. I have since changed to the P2. You should try your Prodigy first. It works ok but it does energize the brakes a little earlier than you might like. I have disc brakes so if you are using drum, it may act differently.
 

N3UP

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 14, 2010
Messages
125
Re: Tekonsha Prodigy + Electric/Hydraulic Brakes

I usually like the trailer brakes to "lead" slightly, so that may actually be a good thing.

I will be getting Kodiak discs on the trailer.

I was finding some confusing information searching the various forums....
I checked the actuator manufacturer web sites (Brakerite, Dexter, Carlisle) and they were all saying that all or most aftermarket controllers were compatible, although there are some issues with some Ford/Dodge/GM factory integrated brake controllers.

The Tekonsha web site only says that the Prodigy was not tested with E/H brake systems.

I just am trying to avoid any surprises here. I will be going to Florida to pick up the boat and trailer and bring them back to Pa...don't need to have to change out a brake controller to get it home.

Why did you switch to the P2?
 

bruceb58

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Mar 5, 2006
Messages
30,824
Re: Tekonsha Prodigy + Electric/Hydraulic Brakes

Correction: I have the P3 Brake Controller.

The P3 does have a selection for electric/hydraulic. I was hoping to get rid of the "lead" that it had. It still has it and am not sure what the whole difference is. I would use your Prodigy for your trip home. I also have Kodiaks and the Brakerite unit on a 6000# to 7000# load.

I did have some problems getting my hydraulic unit to work with an integrated controller in a GM truck but I didn't have a lot of time to troubleshoot it. In its case, it didn't see the hydraulic unit so it always thought it was disconnected. A power resistor in parallel with the hydraulic unit to mimic an electric brake solenoid would probably do the trick for that though.

They sell this unit:
http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Titan/T4846000.html
But my bet its just a power resistor in there.
 
Top