Ted Williams idling bad drive shaft

Webekin

Seaman
So after installing a carb kit or most of it, I added fuel to the tank and she tried to run after choking and 6 pulls. After many attempts, I was able to get her to idle, without surging or coughing. Mostly smooth idle, and speed picked up nicely. Had mist out the exhaust holes
and lots of exhaust in the water. But the prop does not turn. Pulled the lower after checking the shear pin, and the drive shaft looks stripped to me, on the upper end where it would enter the clutch. Son says he may have a parts unit that will fit. Also need to replace 1 side of the mount as it has cracked all the way through now. But it runs, so that is a start. Webekin

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Mite wanna pull the powerhead and look at the splines in there to make sure they arent stripped

Webekin

Seaman
I thought it had a clutch. It to would have splines! My son has several Sears out boards so I have access to parts as needed. Webekin

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
So its an Eska? or McCulloch? Sears had motors made from multiple sources

Webekin

Seaman
So I have the lower off the unit. Have removed the(6) bolts and nuts that fasten the mid section to the power head, it is loose but will not separate. Has a gap, al away around, will wobblee up and down, back and forth. but will not separate. What have I over looked? Want to have look at the drive clutch. Thanks in advance, Webekin

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Is it possible the drive shaft is stuck in the power head. I had a late 80's model made by Force that the shaft was stuck due to the splines being wopped up

Webekin

Seaman
Yes, I have it apart and the splines on the drive shaft are Wopped up. I have worked them over with a file and dremmel. The drive shaft will will fit the clutch now, and I have it all back together, ready to test the clutch/drive shaft splines fitment. Then the post side transom mount broke, I repaired with JB weld, filled 2 voids full of JB weld in an attempt to mead the break, held all of 2 days before failing. So Have ordered a replacement, when it arrives I can test the prop for turning. If that fails think I will try and make the clutch solid and then it will be a direct drive, rather than clutch drive. Clutches are very hard to find. B.O.A.T
Webekin

Webekin

Seaman
I'm back, so failed to align the what to clutch so no prop rpms. Removed the lower wife help me align the water tube and the threaded part of the clutch was off, so placed it on the shaft spline then, with the water tube aligned turned the prop to thread the shaft into the clutch. Back to the water tank , starts on 3rd pull and we have prop. Water going everywhere. Now to solve the rough running issue. Thank you all, Webekin