Ted Williams Brand 5.0 Air Cooled Engines

buckduke67ga

Recruit
I just purchased a Jon Boat and the seller included a 5.0 HP "Ted Williams Brand" Air Cooled Engine. It looks ca. 1950s vintage.

He had the engine stored on the ground and on its side, but said it was running and reliable. When I picked it up, a fuel/oil mixture leaked from the bottom, just above the propeller. A close inspection showed it coming out of three small port holes, just above the horizontal fin above the propeller; one at the back, and two on the leading edge.

Hoping someone can tell me what are those holes and if the leaking was just overflow since the engine was on its side. Ideally, is this part of the deliberate design?

Note, the gas tank itself appears to otherwise have been empty except for the amount of leakage. It has stopped now that the engine us upright (or completely empty).

Thanks, Buck

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Water intake holes. Get me a serial number so I can figure some stuff out for you

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
In between the transom bracket is a metal plate with the numbers on it. Are you sure its not foot oil leaking out?

buckduke67ga

Recruit
In between the transom bracket is a metal plate with the numbers on it. Are you sure its not foot oil leaking out?
Top number is: 217/58541 (make be another digit or two rubbed off)
Serial number is: 6A 021998

I've posted some pictures to my profile. Banner is the view from head on. Profile picture is from the side.

buckduke67ga

Recruit
'76, pretty cool. Eager to start it up. Do you know the type of gas and/or any ratio of fuel to oil?

Also, you mentioned "foot" oil. Is that the lubricant for the lower part of the engine, for the prop and shaft? Where would I add that and how much?

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
40 to 1 or 50 to 1 Champion RJ13Y plug gapped at .030. If it has points they are gapped at .018

matt167

Captain
Sears Parts Direct might even have some NOS stuff. That division of Sears is pretty amazing and I wonder the type of warehouse that it is. I've managed to get parts for a few vintage things from them