Ted Williams and Gamefisher both 7.5

daveh77

Seaman Apprentice
In looking for a lightweight OB for our 16' Aire Cataraft, I acquired 2 of these Clinton powered Eska units.Normally a whitewater raft, I'm not ready for that so we are setting up for fishing. The frame can handle up to 10HP but weight is a big consideration so I figured these air cooled singles to be worth a try, besides they fit the 'budget' better than a 'real' OB.
In addition to that, I already know how to work on dirt bikes, chain saws, and lawn mowers.
Not a clue when it comes to outboards. I open the cover and say: "what the heck is all that stuff?" LOL All jammed in a small space. Looks PITA to work on. Live and learn, right!

The Ted Williams is real nice condition, no spark but feels like decent compression.
No built in tank, remote fuel only.
217-5888-1 indicates 1973 if my research is right
Not sure what kind of ignition this has or how to check it out?

The Gamefisher 7.5 is unknown condition, stored for at least 8 years.
Decent looks and compression. I haven't even had a chance to check for spark yet.
It has a gas tank with some kind of drain thing that was weeping stale fuel.
217-585380 couldn't find that exact number on any of the common ID websites
The numbers seem to jump from 585280 to 585400s but no 380 anywhere I could find.
Guessing 1983 or so from the other numbers and years I found.

How to check no spark on the first one?
Basic steps to check, clean, lube, etc before trying to start one?
Is there a thread for beginners that lists R&R steps for checking out old motors?
Any info on how to safely bring an old Clinton Eska back to life, or pointers to the right thread are appreciated.
Thanks, Dave

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have done a bunch. Check for spark with the plug out and still hooked to coil wire. Ground it against the powerhead and pull the pull cord or have someone do it while you check the spark. Bright blue is the best. Change water pump impellor and foot oil. If no spark see if it has points or solid state ignition. If it has points clean them.if SSI then it might be a parts motor unless you are willing to build your own. I would restore the 73. Twist grip and probably a points motor. They are Tecumseh powerheads on a Clinton leg. Has a water pump to cool the leg and bottom of powerhead..Great motors. Lawnmower turned boat motor

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Id recheck that number. the closest year they made a 7.5hp with that beginning number 585 with 6 digits was 1976

daveh77

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks, brim
Is there a way to tell if it has points or CDI without pulling the flywheel?
217-5888-1
It doesn't say "Solid State Ignition" on the front but all the stickers are gone from the cover.
What kind of fuel tank set up does this one need?
I assume 'shallow water drive' would indicate a short shaft?
Thanks, Dave

Attachments

• 20201025_041659.jpg
    20201025_041659.jpg
    994.2 KB · Views: 2

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Pull the flywheel. Its simple. If it has points they will need cleaned and re-gapped. You can google how to ohm test the coils if it has them and the condensers. One of the first thing I do. Im almost certain that model has a trigger and igniter and no points but Ive been wrong many times. Its best to check. I had a 75 and 76 Gamefisher one was SSI and one had points. Both 7.5hp and twist grip

Last edited:

daveh77

Seaman Apprentice
This Ted Williams has been on the back burner while I have been working on the '59 Evinrude 5.5, which finally fired up!
Then today I got the Tohatsu 9.8 to fire up! I like that one.
You guys are right: this could get addicting ;-))

Ran out of daylight to try the Teddy but I did get it on the transom and confirmed no spark. Pulled the starter & shroud but the flywheel puller is next door.
Does this look like an SSI from this pic of the coil?
I should be able to pull the FW tomorrow and find out for sure.

Is there a way to convert an SSI to a mag with points?

Thanks, Dave

Attachments

• 20201031_153026.jpg
    20201031_153026.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5

daveh77

Seaman Apprentice
I figured it looked like it was SSI but confirmed with a puller.
There is a mark showing previous bit of contact on the inside of the flywheel but no sign of what caused it, no debris or marks on the inner parts.
Sad to make this a parts motor because this 1973 other than the SSI, it is the best shape of the 3 I have.
I found this statement somewhere here:
"Ed Stoller now provides affordable repair service for the Tecumseh CDI ignition"
I found a LinkedIn profile for an Ed Stoller in Alberta Canada who appears to be an electrical guru, is that the right guy?

Is it possible to retrofit the mag/points ignition from a 1972 7hp Sears Tecumseh onto this engine? 217-58870

Or 1978 Gamefisher 7.7 217-585830? Or should this one be my best bet?
It is 5 years newer but rough compared to the 1973.

What about all the lawn mowers and other Tecumseh engines out there as donors for an SSI?

Thanks, Dave

Attachments

• 20201101_121550.jpg
    20201101_121550.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • 20201101_121613.jpg
    20201101_121613.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
  • 20201031_153459.jpg
    20201031_153459.jpg
    709 KB · Views: 2
  • 20201031_153838.jpg
    20201031_153838.jpg
    907 KB · Views: 2

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I actually had one of those during my early years of fishing. I bought it for a song and of course, dead spark. However back then the ignition module was $23 dollars and easy to find. I changed that module and it fired right up and run pretty well. I am not up to date on part availability for them today. But they are reasonably reliable once you get them working. However I will say this, mine was a 7.5 HP version on a 12 foot Feathercraft boat and it got you there and back. But after a year of running that engine, I decided to buy a new 9.8 Mercury for the boat since it was able to handle 10 HP per the actual boat plate. OMG, like strapping a rocket to the little boat. It finally got on a plane and was so much fun boating, that I would run the lakes just to enjoy the power... Good luck finding and getting those engines working. I think you will enjoy them too...

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
There are a bunch of sites on the web where people have made them or re-figured them. Mine had great spark and ran good. Paid 75 bucks for it. Im sure if you went through the trouble you could swap powerheads, or re-configure some stuff around but thats alot of work for a 100 dollar motor. If you can find an SSI mod off something else it will work. All it is is a trigger mechanism. Do some research youd be surprised what you might find