FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
I really dont know if it's a lack of effort, but i cannot find a source for teak. I need two board's 7' long x 10" high 1/2 would be cool, anyone know of a good source???
What is suppose to be so special about teak? It seems to be the only wood used it boats, yet it discolors and rots like any other wood. I'm about to make a dash from some nice Birch. I'm gonna stain it and cover it with clear poly with a UV protection additive. I hope I'm not breaking any laws by not using Teak.
I disagree that teak is soft and deteriorates easily. My experience is that teak is among the most rot resistant and durable woods because of it's natural oil content. The big problem with teak is price!! $20 to $25 a BF! A good substitute for teak is ipe, also known as ironwood. The problem with ipe is its weight. It weighs about 50% more than teak. It is so dense that it will not burn, only smolder. You can machine it with woodworking power tools, but you need carbide blades. Regular steel blades will wear out quickly. It is very dark in color naturally, (darker than mahogany) unlike teak which is relatively light in color. Price for ipe is about 1/4 that of teak and is used for decking material. The decking used for the Atlantic City Boardwalk is ipe.
Another substitute for teak is iroco, (African teak) about $8 to $10 a BF. I hope this helps!!