teak refinishing

uncwillie

Seaman Apprentice
the interior teak on this boat was always hand rubbed oil but i'm doing some highlights in gloss varnish now. The problem is that the teak is open grained and it takes a lot of sanding to get to the smooth finish i'd like. Is there a filler/sealer that i can use to fill the voids prepreratory to varnishing?

petrolhead

Chief Petty Officer
Re: teak refinishing

Teak doesn't generally take varnish too well, it's an oily wood anyway and needs special treatment prior to varnishing otherwise it doesn't stick properly, just forms a skin which peels off later on.<br />If yours has been regularly oiled as well you may have real problems.

sangerwaker

Commander

I refinished my swim platforms last winter with the Amazon products. They look awesome when done. The previous owner had varnished the platforms, and they looked crappy IMO. I sanded everything down with 100 grit and used the Amazon 3 step process per the directions. I have re-oiled them about every 6-8 weeks all summer. My boat sits coverd (including the platforms) outside on the trailer. They still look fantastic. I would recommend the Amazon products to anyone.

Ouan

Cadet

Some guys here swear by Cetol It weathers well but personally I don't like the color that it imparts to teak I have Mahogony bright work and use Petitt Gold cup