Teaching

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Teaching

You need to do the basics in your head instantly i.e times tables , addition , subtraction, fractions and percentages. You need to understand the mechanics of how to do things in your head but there are times when you need to use modern technology. How many 'oldies' can add up fine but show them a vcr and they are the ones stuck. I think it is the parents responsibility as well as the teachers to ensure the child gets the basics. Dont blame the teacher if at home your not adding anything to the education process.

Twidget

Commander

My 3rd graders school PTO had a pre TAKS test meeting to explain to parents what was going on. My wife 'volunteered' me to attend.<br /><br />They handed out a reading and a math test for the parents to take. Im 44, so Im quite a bit older than the average 3 graders parent, so I guess my hearing wasnt up to snuff. They said start the test. Being the dummy I am, I did both of them.<br /><br />Evidently they gave us 20 minutes for each, both with 11 questions. I sat the last 20 minutes watching people. There were people that didnt finish and an embarassing number that didnt pass. <br /> :eek: <br /><br />Now granted, they are doing higher level math than I remember at this level. Its still just third grade though. If the parents cant do it, how can we expect the kids to do it. Teachers have it really rough these days.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

When my oldest was in the third grade NO ONE could convince her that she had to memorize the multiplication tables. "I can count it on my fingers or just add 'em up." No bribe was too rich nor consequence severe enough for her!<br /><br />Then came 3 & 4 digit numbers, and long division. She could get through 10% of the problems by the time everbody else finished. When she got embarrassed enough, she decided she needed to memorize 'em. <br /><br />But at least she learned from her mistake that Mommy & Daddy know what they're talking about. <br />NOT!<br /><br /> ;)