Teach your kids to use the vhf!!!!!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
we listened to this, too far away to help.

3 missing divers found

KEY LARGO: Three missing divers were found Saturday afternoon after their boat drifted away with three children aboard, the Coast Guard said.

The 26-foot boat was about six miles southwest of Pacific Reef when the anchor dragged and it drifted away, reports say. The children aboard, whose ages were not listed, reportedly called for help on the marine radio. A good Samaritan found the boat as well as one of the divers. Sea Tow found the second diver; a Coast Guard helicopter found the third. No injuries were reported.

MORE: http://keysnews.com/node/25898

45Auto

Commander
Re: Teach your kids to use the vhf!!!!!

I would personally start with not leaving kids on the boat without an adult ....

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

everyone on the boat needs to know some basics: radio, kill switch, how to drive back to MOB. I am astounded that some adults don't even know how to work a microphone. I read a lot of posts here where guy does everything and the wife can't touch the wheel. That's just crazy.
I had my 7 year old daughter help me start a motor by jumping across the solonoid; my other daughter at about 9 saved a boatload of people when an idiot friend couldn't restart the motor and they were drifting out to sea. Ge them involved.

But then, when they turn 14 and have all this "expertise" they'll sneak your boat out one night....

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Absolutely! Teach them. They may not be left alone, but my old chubby @$$ may have a heart attack or other unforeseen slip and fall and they have to call for help.

They should know (even if you have to write it down) how to turn on the VHF, go to 16, call MAYDAY (x3), and give the GPS coordinates. Show them how to send the anchor overboard. The life they save just may be yours...as well as their own!

stic88

Petty Officer 1st Class

homecookin....... When they do take the boat at least you can have a restful mind knowing they know how to operate it and use the radio if they get into trouble.