TCW-2, use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
When I bought my first new outboard (a 40 HP Evinrude Lark) I started using OMC 2-stroke oil as the dealer recommended. There was a Texaco station at the end of my street and we went there for minor repairs and gas. The owner talked me into using Texaco Outboard Motor Oil. I don't remember what TC grade it was.

The next year I had a lot of trouble with plug fouling. I took the boat back to the dealer because it was still under warranty. The mechanic came out and pulleg a plug, looked at me, and said "Have you been using Texaco OB motor oil?"

He was an old fart, but he was spot on. Went back to OMC.
Well her V8, Fordomatic, 2 door custom, 1951 vintage was about 4 years old when I got my driver's license. She didn't have all that many in town miles on it but being a small town where 2 miles was about as far as you had to go to get anywhere she probably had a sludge problem.

I remember it running rough some times and I would take it out to what is now I 45 between Houston and Galveston and blow it out for her.....it responded well and was a good decision to do it. But after I started driving it didn't last all that long before I blew the engine for her........now whether or not Havoline had anything to do with it I don't know....but it would have been a great idea to have blamed it on the oil. Grin.

reelfishin

Captain
A number of years ago I bought a 1960 Starcraft, the boat was sitting on a period trailer in a garage, behind it was a new in the box 1959 Evrinrude 40hp, a brand new set of controls, and two cases of Shell 20w non-detergent oil and a pair of brand new steel 8 gallon steel fuel tanks with a crossover tube. The boat had a rack under the rear splash tray to hold extra quart oil cans of oil.
Apparently the original owner had taken ill back in the day while rigging the boat and never finished what ever he had planned to do. I bought all of the marine contents of the garage for near nothing.
The motor was new in the crate, never run, no fluids at all, the tiller arm was not installed, but wrapped up in a cardboard tube tied to the side of the crate, (I didn't even notice it till I nearly threw it away). The crate was pretty rough but the motor was in nice shape. Other than to test run it on some premix in a bottle its not been run to this day.
The oil that came with it was regular oil, not 'two stroke' oil as we use today.
As a kid, we ran motor oil, some guys with less money ran drain oil they got for free from the gas station, both in their outboards and their motorcycles. It surely wasn't the best idea but it did work so long as you ran a big filter and changed or cleaned it often.
A buddy ran his dad's old diesel oil in his Yamaha dirt bike, funny thing was it smelled a bit like a diesel when it ran, but the stuff would plug up the exhaust with soot and carbon at least once a year and he had to take off the pipe and burn it out by putting the baffle pipe on a fire to burn it all well enough that it fell out of the pipe as dust once cooled. That bike was still running the last I saw it a few months ago, but I doubt he still has to run used oil in it these days.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Most have never seen the jelly in the bottom of a 2 stroke oil tank I guess.

First time I saw it was in the 80s, it was a colourless jelly that was clogging up a Fuel Pickup Screen in a Portable Tank. I figured it was from Gasoline decomposing, from old age.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Straight from the Owners Manual of a 1957 Evinrude 35hp
There were Outboard Oils back then. OMC and Mercury introduced their own Oils in the mid 1960s, because a lot the Brand Name Oils were really garbage and didn't meet the demands an Outboard placed on them

img158.jpg

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
What happens to the oil once it reaches the carburetor ?
The oil mixed with gas goes thru carb, and while the Gasoline Vapourizes, the oil in the form of droplets, is carried along into the Crankcase where some of it lands on various parts to provide Lubrication. some of it flows into the Combustion Chamber, where some of it burns and some of passes thru unburnt. The oil deposited in the Crankcase, some it thrown off moving parts, and either resumes its journey to the Combustion Chamber. Some of it pools in the crankcase, and in older engines, is purged, usually into the exhaust housing, on in newer engines, recycled to provide more oil to the Upper Crankshaft Bearing

setadrift

Recruit
As a kid, when one of our neighbors sold their house to move to Florida, the old guy gave me an old 1940's Evinrude and two metal crates full of Pennzoil brand 2 stroke oil in glass bottles. The label only read 30w, for use in two and four stroke motors. He also gave me a very old 1 3/4hp Briggs and Stratton push mower. He used the same oil in the crankcase of the mower as he mixed in the gas for the outboard. I mowed lawns for years using that mower and that oil, the motor was badly worn and smoked bad, the push mower likely used more oil than the outboard.
I had both of those motors for years, I traded the push mower for a dirt bike, and I loaned the outboard to a buddy and it got stolen off his boat around the same time. I ran the rest of that Penzoil oil through my Rockford motorcycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.