TCW-2, use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elkins45

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I stumbled across a gallon of Evinrude branded two cycle oil that is rated TCW-2. I think I bought it in the early to mid 90s. Would it be OK to use in a modern engine made in 1997, or 2007? My gut tells me it should be fine, especially if I use it mixed 1:2 with my current stock of TCW-3 oil.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The pundits say it has a certain shelf life. Certainly it's beyond it by now.

If I had an old clunker that I didn't care about I'd use it up. If my motor was one I cared about I'd use it in my chain saw.

It's only a savings of a few bucks. I spend that more in beer every week.

matt167

Captain
dilute with acetone 50%, put it in a spray bottle. You'll get a decent penetrating lubricant

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Not worth trying to save a few pennies.----Would not use it in a 2007 model Evinrude that is for sure.-----I would certainly use it in my 1967 model Lawnboy 2 stroke.----And another example of the mis understanding of 2 stroke lubrication I say.

dwco5051

Commander
I would only use it in any of my chainsaws as bar oil, not as mixed fuel. Two stroke air cooled motors run much hotter than outboards and quality oils for them are a different formulation. About 15 or so years ago I ran out of saw fuel about 45 minutes away from the shop but happened to have a tank of boat fuel in the truck. Since I only had about ten minutes of sawing left to limb out a felled tree I went ahead and used it. Back on the job a couple of days later I forgot to dump the fuel and while sawing flush a two foot oak stump the say came to a halt. New jug and piston (read over a hundred bucks) and an evening of my time later cured me about which oil to use.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
The pundits say it has a certain shelf life. Certainly it's beyond it by now.
Which pundits?

Where is the shelf life of oil listed?

Last I checked, oil was thousands and thousands of years old. Seems strange that it would suddenly expire a few years after someone put it in a bottle.

Maybe we should be investigating what they are making those plastic bottles out of.

Would I use it in a post 2000 motor? No.
Would I use it in a 1070's or 80's motor? Yes sir.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Most have never seen the jelly in the bottom of a 2 stroke oil tank I guess.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Which pundits?

Where is the shelf life of oil listed?

Last I checked, oil was thousands and thousands of years old. Seems strange that it would suddenly expire a few years after someone put it in a bottle.

Maybe we should be investigating what they are making those plastic bottles out of.

Would I use it in a post 2000 motor? No.
Would I use it in a 1070's or 80's motor? Yes sir.
Oil lasts forever. It's the additives IN the oil that you need to be concerned with.

I thought everybody knew that!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Oil discussions are usually very entertaining.------Years ago someone said " why should we use factory oil in the 100 HP 1966 Johnson?----Why not a cheaper oil as the motor just burns it ? "----Just one example of how lubrication is mis understood.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Oil discussions are usually very entertaining.------Years ago someone said " why should we use factory oil in the 100 HP 1966 Johnson?----Why not a cheaper oil as the motor just burns it ? "----Just one example of how lubrication is mis understood.
In my youth Grandpa gave me his 10 HP Merc to use when my buddies and i rented a little tinny. I could barely afford the gas, much less oil. So I raided dad's garage locker and used 10w30 or whatever he had.

I finally sold that motor when it was about 30 years old. Still ran like a champ.

Just sayin...

dwco5051

Commander
In my youth Grandpa gave me his 10 HP Merc to use when my buddies and i rented a little tinny. I could barely afford the gas, much less oil. So I raided dad's garage locker and used 10w30 or whatever he had.
I must have a few years on you. In my youth there were no multi viscosity oils. We used to stock up with a case of Gulf 20w quarts. The mix was 1 us quart to 5 imperial gallons. My dad and uncle claimed it would work in any of the motors in the family and it did. A few of the motors were pre-war and the rest late 40's. Still have one, a 1948 Elgin made by West Bend but haven't used it in over 25 years.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I must have a few years on you. In my youth there were no multi viscosity oils. We used to stock up with a case of Gulf 20w quarts. The mix was 1 us quart to 5 imperial gallons. My dad and uncle claimed it would work in any of the motors in the family and it did. A few of the motors were pre-war and the rest late 40's. Still have one, a 1948 Elgin made by West Bend but haven't used it in over 25 years.
I still have Grandpa's owner's manual from 1955. It called for 30w non-detergent oil.

You piqued my interest so I looked it up. Kendall introduced 10w30 in 1953. My abomination with oil would have been as a teenager in about 1965, so Dad's stock would have been from the early 1960's.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I still have Grandpa's owner's manual from 1955. It called for 30w non-detergent oil.
Yes- my '56 Evinrude 5.5hp says 24: SAE 30 weight , not sure of there was specific 2 stroke back then.

dwco5051

Commander
Yes- my '56 Evinrude 5.5hp says 24: SAE 30 weight , not sure of there was specific 2 stroke back then.
Yeah, my memory of 70 years ago gets a little faded. I thought when I typed that that it might of been 30 also. Yep, it was straight 30w non detergent. I first remember detergent oils when I was a senior in high school 56-57 and I was working part time in a gas station pumping Amoco white gas, lube jobs (around 20 fittings on my 1947 Olds). I still have part of a can of knee action shock oil left over from those days.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
TC-W2 or W3 is listed as suitable for engines listed in the service manual for 2002 (manual covers engines from 1996 till 2005 I think) 60 Jet through 125 HP engines. Only shelf life I can think of is additives settling out of it if it has a secured lid to keep environmental effects from contacting the contents. Sometimes I look in the bottom of (different types of) oil containers of different functions (engine, hydro, gear types) that I know have been sitting for a long time on retailers shelves, or mine, some having been partially used by me but lids were replaced and secured) for an extended period and have found few indications of that happening and only a very thin, spotty film when I do see such.

I had a clear plastic container with a lid on it of used diesel tractor engine oil that I sat up on a shelf once for some reason. I came back years later and the once black oil was honey colored and the bottom of the container had a thick layer of sludge. So there is an example of carbon not being homogenized in the manufacturing process like is the case with additives and over time settling out.

I bought a used 2002 rig a couple of years ago and it had a very dirty partially used WW TC-W3 gallon of engine oil stuffed under a seat. For the few bucks that it was worth, I didn't feel like I needed to use it. Haven't missed anything by my decision.

Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Not in my neighborhood, Houston, Tx. There was a Texaco station at the end of our street that sold Havoline oil. For years they had oil displays adjacent to the gas pumps with HD (detergent) 20W in the winter and 30W in the summer. I don't remember when I became aware of HD becoming available nor multi-viscosity oil. I do remember boating with the 6 gallon portable gas tanks and the quart of Amalie 30W ("Better than it Has to BE") and regular leaded gas to fill the tanks. Don't remember when I was able to quit that 24:1 mix.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Not in my neighborhood, Houston, Tx. There was a Texaco station at the end of our street that sold Havoline oil. For years they had oil displays adjacent to the gas pumps with HD (detergent) 20W in the winter and 30W in the summer. I don't remember when I became aware of HD becoming available nor multi-viscosity oil. I do remember boating with the 6 gallon portable gas tanks and the quart of Amalie 30W ("Better than it Has to BE") and regular leaded gas to fill the tanks. Don't remember when I was able to quit that 24:1 mix.
When I bought my first new outboard (a 40 HP Evinrude Lark) I started using OMC 2-stroke oil as the dealer recommended. There was a Texaco station at the end of my street and we went there for minor repairs and gas. The owner talked me into using Texaco Outboard Motor Oil. I don't remember what TC grade it was.

The next year I had a lot of trouble with plug fouling. I took the boat back to the dealer because it was still under warranty. The mechanic came out and pulleg a plug, looked at me, and said "Have you been using Texaco OB motor oil?"

He was an old fart, but he was spot on. Went back to OMC.

Status
Not open for further replies.