Tarp it, Build a Shed, or Shrink wrap it?

skargo

Banned
Re: Tarp it, Build a Shed, or Shrink wrap it?

Just put this up a couple weeks ago,
12154_369069020651_554955651_9964975_3216612_n.jpg

12154_369069055651_554955651_9964978_391598_n.jpg

12154_369069065651_554955651_9964980_1536652_n.jpg

Good thing because we got a blizzard last week!
12154_384186345651_554955651_10074049_1993320_n.jpg

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Impactg-
nice job on covering the boat, If I may offer a small suggestion, and that would be to add a small wooden podium thingy to support the weight on the bow rather than it being supported by the stainless railing, they're strong but not that strong. :)
rob

Impactg

Cadet

Impactg-
nice job on covering the boat, If I may offer a small suggestion, and that would be to add a small wooden podium thingy to support the weight on the bow rather than it being supported by the stainless railing, they're strong but not that strong. :)
rob

That's an idea... time will tell how it works out. I do have the two PVC stantions midway on the bow. Fortunately, we don't get much snow here in central PA. I think we had a total under 10" both of the last two winters.

As I said, we'll see how she does and make any adjustments for next off-season. Thanks for the suggestion! Adding a support at the tip of the bow might be a good idea... :cool:

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Our baby gets the old tonneau cover clipped on and a huge tarp to wrap it all up. Couple of straps and a lot of bungee cords and she is snug till spring. I would love to have indoor or covered storage though.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Just put this up a couple weeks ago,
Good thing because we got a blizzard last week!

Nice shelter, skargo. Our local auto supply store just installed a couple to house their shopping carts in the parking lot. Been meaning to go in and talk to the manager about them. But since seeing yours....

What do those things cost and do they give you any snow load info with them?

Also, how do you have it secured to the ground?

skargo

Banned

Nice shelter, skargo. Our local auto supply store just installed a couple to house their shopping carts in the parking lot. Been meaning to go in and talk to the manager about them. But since seeing yours....

What do those things cost and do they give you any snow load info with them?

Also, how do you have it secured to the ground?

Mine is a 12' x26' with 7' high legs. The snowload is done regionally, I forget what mine is rated off the top of my head. It held up to 2' of snow so far!
It was $1500 and some change installed.
There are 4 mobile home anchors holding it down.

cub48

Seaman

This is one of my beefs. Someone pay hard earned money for a boat 1000.00 to 50000.00 then park it in the back yard uncovered. It fills with leaves and trash the seats rot and in a few years it look like it is a 100 years old. I have a 1974 ranger that i am going to sell in the spring it has been kept inside its life. the seats still are in good shape no rips no seams busted. The gel coat still has some shine . everything still works. if you can afford a boat build the shed if you can't afford to put siding on buy some cheap tarps to put around it. around here you see the the metal carport for 695.00 installed. Put the tarps around the sides. to keep the rain & snow from blowing in. Wraping is better than nothing if you check it often as tarps will blow up water runs in then the seats mold and turn black carpets rot then then next year you have the seats replaced new carpet installed 1200.00.
In the long run which will be cheaper. I have just bought a used boat 98 stratos 75% of the ones I have look at were weathered the one i bought the seats are nice carpet still good it needs some touch up and cleaning but look at the long picture when you get ready to sell you will be ahead. Sorry for the long reply Cub

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

here we don't usually get more than a foot of snow at a time so a custom cover with frame built up underneath will work well...here's the frame I build out of wood, PVC and the fiberglass cross braces you can buy from West Marine.....

Attachments

• 3-2009, 4-2009 025a.jpg
    3-2009, 4-2009 025a.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 0

arimatation

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I like the idea of a cheap cover. I can't find a cover and the MFGr want's about $400. I need it more for rain, lucky if we have any real snow in the winter.

Anybody figure out what is cheaper PVC or wood?

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Mine is a 12' x26' with 7' high legs. The snowload is done regionally, I forget what mine is rated off the top of my head. It held up to 2' of snow so far!
It was $1500 and some change installed.
There are 4 mobile home anchors holding it down.
We did the same for my Dad up in MI. Adding it next to an existing barn like you.
But we cheated.
We wanted it to be 12 wide and 40 feet long. So we bought one 24 feet wide and 20 feet long.
We then cut the rafter tubes at the peak effectively cutting the thing in half lengthwise.
So the peak is now up against the barn wall and the two haves are installed end to end.

skargo

Banned

We did the same for my Dad up in MI. Adding it next to an existing barn like you.
But we cheated.
We wanted it to be 12 wide and 40 feet long. So we bought one 24 feet wide and 20 feet long.
We then cut the rafter tubes at the peak effectively cutting the thing in half lengthwise.
So the peak is now up against the barn wall and the two haves are installed end to end.

That's a great idea, any pics?

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Not until spring when the snowbirds go back north.

oceansbreeze

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well so far, mine is holding up great. We've had virtually no snow here in the North. It's kind of sad actually, the trails we use (and pay good money to ride on) are mostly closed, or with limited riding due to no snow in many areas...

As a result, 90% of my wood frame / tarp cover has had the 2 inches of snow that had accumulated, run off.... winter's not over yet tho!! Bracing for some snow I hope soon!

i love that metal carport cover. I would definitely get one in my next house - which I hope to be in this summer!!

Can't wait for spring!