Outboard does not start, not turning over

troutwater

Recruit
I looked at the FAQ's but didn't see anything really helpful. When I turn the key, all I get is a click. I just changed the solenoid, but it still does the same thing. My test light lights up on the battery cable going into the solenoid, and out of it when I turn the key. The starter will spin when I bypass the solenoid and arc it against the starter. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

KT64TM

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Outboard does not start, not turning over

I looked at the FAQ's but didn't see anything really helpful. When I turn the key, all I get is a click. I just changed the solenoid, but it still does the same thing. My test light lights up on the battery cable going into the solenoid, and out of it when I turn the key. The starter will spin when I bypass the solenoid and arc it against the starter. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Your new solenoid may be bad also.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You didn't say what was in the FAQs that you ignored. In "Outboard won't start" are troubleshooting methods to isolate exactly your trouble without wasting bux replacing what ain't broke.

Your solenoid was probably not bad.

You most likely have resistance in the starter circuit. Any resistance at all. . .even a fraction of one ohm. . .will prevent the starter from operating but may not affect anything else.

Take both battery-to-engine cables off, clean the ends, inspect for weak spots and reinstall. The worst offender is where the battery ground cable connects to the engine block.

Let us know what you find.

outboardnut

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your solenoid is clicking then that eliminates key switch and wiring harness.

Start at the batter and work your way towards the starter. Take your connections loose and clean them...make sure you are cabels are getting good connection everywhere.

If you have a multimeter(cheap) check your battery voltage...12.5 and over it should go.

Prob your voltage at each connection point and see where it is not flowing threw.

Also as I am sitting here and thinking about it I want to make my first guess is you have a bad solenoid.

Check where the battery connects to the solenoid for 12.5 or more volts...then turn the key and I bet you are not getting volts on the other side.
You can try cleaning connacts but if not it's time for a new solenoid...$40 or so for a good one.