Targa 17 transom

Link2052

Seaman Apprentice
my transom has some galvanic coroision meaning small holes due to the intrusion of salt water , the transom is dry and solid now , I was thinking about making a template then using 1/8" aluminium and attach with marine sealant and thru bolting with stainless.
Any thoughts for a quick fix
this is not a show boat it will be used for skinny water and river fishing for striped bass.
thank you LINK 2052

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Targa 17 transom

Galvanic corrosion is what happens when you put two dissimilar metals together. If your transom is all aluminum there may have been a problem in the manufacture of the aluminum itself. Improper heat-treating, or the alloy wasn't formulated just right. This marine grade aluminum is usually pretty tough stuff. If you have other types of metal in contact with the transom and that where the corrosion is you need to put some kind of a barrier between the dissimilar metals.

As far as repair is concerned, how about just filling the holes, applying a few heavy coats of zinc chromate primer, and then finish painting with something non porous. The only thing I would be concerned about is how much salt got into the transom. Could be worse inside than out.

Link2052

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks,
The transom is solid , does not even budge a bit , I tilted engine up and shook . What happened was the previous owner pulled the tie downs to tight and over time created a crack in the shell of the boat. There must have been a ground problem the boat was run in salt water .
I was thinking using marine tex to fill holes and the areas that have been damaged like through hulls and tie downs reinforce them with ALUNM. plate and stainless through bolt , the zinc paint and an epoxy finish coat??
the boat is not an eye catcher just a fish boat
thanks for your input
BF

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like a plan. I'm an X airplane mechanic, so I have experience working with aluminum. But I'm not an expert on all the products available for boat repair. Go to your local marina for info on the specific products to use for the repairs. I have a local guy that's an ace. When I'm working on my boat I usually run my plan past him, and he'll tell me what I need to buy to get the job done. Good luck.

Link2052

Seaman Apprentice

I plan on doing away with the tie downs I'll put a strap over the transom to secure while towing and just filling the area where the tie downs were also covering with a piece of aluminium screwed down w/ stainless self tapping flat heads , I also need reinforce the through bolts that secure the outboard the area wher it's bolted has dimpled, as mentioned B-4 zinc and epoxy paint
LINK