Talladega!?????????

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant
Re: Talladega!?????????

Originally posted by roscoe:<br />The second option is to make all the cars run an identical body, which will really upset the manufacturers.
They alread DO run the same templates for all 3 manufacturers. Just the nose is different.<br /><br />
They are already complaining that the race cars don't resemble the showroom cars,
When was the last time you saw a 2 door Ford Taurus? (never existed...not even the SHO version)<br /><br />Dave

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Motorsport is not dead in this country.<br /><br />It is alive and well at a thousand small town dirt tracks and a few local paved tracks.<br /><br />Entertainment value should come after fair competition and driver safety.<br /><br />Big time racing has become entertainment for big bux, not open competition.

KennyKenCan

Commander

And when was the last time you where able to purchase a vehicle from Ford, with a push-rod engine?<br /><br />NASCAR rules were specific, that all motors used in their series, MUST BE AVALIABLE in any of their production cars or trucks, until Ford had the rules changed for themselves.<br /><br />Ford is the only manufacturer allowed to use an engine produced by someone other than Ford!<br /><br />Chevy's runs a variant of the Corvette motor, block and heads.<br /><br />Dodge's runs a variant of their truck motor, block and heads.<br /><br />Ford's runs a custom built motor built by Illmore Engineering. <br /><br />Ford stopped installing the ole push-rod engine, in favor of their new Triton motor in 1999!<br /><br />That 2 door Taurus (which you can't purchase) is powered by an Illmore Engineering Racing Engine (which you can't purchase in any of Ford's production vehicles)!<br /><br />Illmore is a custom race engine builder in California, more better known for manufacturing Indy car motors!<br /><br />Really fair to the other manufacturer's.<br /><br />Ford has all the power with NASCAR.<br /><br />GM and Chrysler have to run by the rules that the Ford Motor Company approves of.<br /><br />GM has been denied using their new 69cc cylinder heads for the past 3 years now, but NASCAR approved the use of Illmore Engineering's 69cc cylinder heads, and they just submitted them this year, for approval!<br /><br />NASCAR is saying that GM can use their 69cc heads next year.<br /><br />My argument is...why can't GM use their 69cc heads?<br /><br />They are available thru any dealer and are standard equipment on Corvettes, yet the heads that are on any Illmore Engineering product is approved, just by Ford asking!<br /><br />GM and Chrysler were notified of this, AFTER NASCAR allowed the new Illmore heads!

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by JB:<br />Motorsport is not dead in this country.<br /><br />It is alive and well at a thousand small town dirt tracks and a few local paved tracks.<br /><br />Entertainment value should come after fair competition and driver safety.<br /><br />Big time racing has become entertainment for big bux, not open competition.
I agree JB.<br /><br />BTW, I dont care who won and dont have any favorite. I think Jeff Gordan is one heck of a good driver.<br /><br />But I also like to see a good race and it looked like to me NASCAR didnt even try to get the track cleared. They should make every effort to get the race completed under green. I think all cautions are way too long, most likely because they can sell more commericals that way.<br /><br />Ken

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

So what would you suggest?<br />What are your alternatives to the current rules?<br />All I'm hearing is bashing.<br />NASCAR, or any sanctioning body, or series owner, has to create a marketable product, an that means leveling the playing field so that all brands are competitive, and more fans will be drawn in.<br />If you don't like it, don't watch.<br />If Chevy and Dodge don't like the Ford Racing Rules Series, then they shouldn't play in it.<br />They are all in it for the bucks. The only person that isn't in it for the money, is the fan. Sounds like every other profession sport to me.<br /><br />If we didn't know about all the different specs and rules, we would just be fans, cheering on a car and driver. Might be more enjoyable that way.<br /><br />I think the only racing where the rules are not brand specific, may be at the small local tracks.<br /><br />But, all these special rules for Ford, and they're still socking Chevy exhaust!? :) <br /><br />JB, you mention fair competition, and open competition. Seems to me like they are diametrically opposed to each other. Maybe you could explain this to me.<br /><br />Personnaly, I would like to see them race an actual production body with no modifications, and let the trophies fall where they may. But that would put too much financial burden on the manufacturers and teams, and you would see all the teams jump ship to the company with the best body, from year to year.<br /><br />How about a one piece body for all cars, no modification allowed? Should be real fast to get thru inspection with a laser scanning device to detect any body alterations.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Just bring back the days of Richard Petty and the rest of the good ol boys.<br /><br />Now that was racing.

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

You know, it does not matter which country or class of motorsport you compete in, you have to fight with the politics also.<br />It is the same all over the world. <br />Cometitors get frustrated by strangling regulations that play into 1 team / manuf hands and the fans get upset to boot.<br />Still love motorsport though, competitor and team member for many years with Supertrucks here (Kenworth with 1500 hp) and many other classes over the years.<br /><br />Good luck.<br /><br />Peter

k5ranger

Petty Officer 3rd Class

just a thought...i'll bet you that over 95% of those pissed off fans who cried and complained al the way home after the race will be there next year to whine after the checker again. I stopped being a fan of NASCAR a few years ago when the sport first started turning to the "don't touch me or i'll tell"!!! racing series. <br />if the fans want justice they must stand up (or stay out of the stands) or just sit by and watch the sport go downhill.<br />Money is the root of all evil and the downfall of ALL professional sports!<br />I used to be a baseball nut, but dangit i got tired of hearing rich kids whine about not having enough money to do something they all did as kids for fun.<br />watch the money trail ...Pro's...College...and now high school sports on prime time ESPN.<br />what next?....

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I think the only racing where the rules are not brand specific, may be at the small local tracks
by Roscoe<br /><br />In a way you are right. I have been racing on those bull rings for several years now, been a fan all of my life. Brand specifics are starting to show up quite a bit now. Most of the rules tend to apply chevy standards since a chevy is used in 95% or more of the time.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by Kenneth Brown:<br />Brand specifics are starting to show up quite a bit now. Most of the rules tend to apply chevy standards since a chevy is used in 95% or more of the time.[/QB]
Chevy's are commonly used because they are cheap, plentiful, reliable, lightweight, and easily interchangeable.<br /><br />Other brands cant really claim all of those.<br /><br />Ken

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by SBN:<br />Just bring back the days of Richard Petty and the rest of the good ol boys.<br /><br />Now that was racing.
Hey Spinner, Didn't know you were a fan of wheelchair races. :D

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by roscoe:<br />
Originally posted by SBN:<br />Just bring back the days of Richard Petty and the rest of the good ol boys.<br /><br />Now that was racing.
Hey Spinner, Didn't know you were a fan of wheelchair races. :D
Hey roscoe, at least a Dodge looked like a Dodge, etc. :)

ehenry

Commander

Any of yall remember when NASCAR outlawed Chevy's Laguna body style because is was too aerodynamic??

JB

. . . or Chrysler's "hemi" and Ford's OHC 429 because they were "too fast"?

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Or the Dodge Daytona and Plymouth Super Bird with those wild 4 foot spoilers on the back?(unfair advantage)

sloopy

Commander

WHAT ARE YOU GUYS TALKING ABOUT!?!?!?!

tylerin

Commander

or Chrysler's "hemi" and Ford's OHC 429 because they were "too fast"?<br />
JB, you mean to heavy and couldn't make it around the first turn ;)