Tall Boat into a Low Garage

lucky7

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Tall Boat into a Low Garage

i have a trailer hitch on the front of my f150, much better than pushing. you could get one with a big drop to lower the nose of the trailer for the garage. my boat is 23.5' loa, my garage is 24'. get the boat you want, i wouldnt have been happy with a 17' that would have fit. bought a shelterlogic tent/garage for the price of a really good cover. maybe someday i will be able to build a bigger garage... but i have the boat i want now.

cbavier

Lieutenant

The dealer just confirmed the actual height from the floor to the very top of the windshield to be 86", give or take an inch. The garage opening is exactly 84" so we're only talking 2-3 inches of play here.

What about this?

Step 1: Back the boat into the garage half-way (remind you, I'm on a slight incline). Both trailer axles and tires should be on flat ground and completely inside the garage. Apply emergency brake. Drink a frosty beverage and plan next step.

Step 2: Secure boat to garage (to keep it from sliding down the driveway) then remove trailer from truck. Drink another frosty beverage just to be sure I have enough courage to continue.
Step 3: Lower the trailer jack 5 or 6 inches. Drink yet another frosty beverage just because.

Step 4: Use muscle-power or winch to safely pull/push boat into the garage the rest of the way. Screw the frosy beverages...hard liquor now...

Step 5: Raise trailer jack to level and chock the tires. Pass out :)

Of course, I could always rig-up something mentioned in previous posts too...

Now your thinking.:) I've done this many times just as you descibed here with different boats as I have a Boat Color Restore Business. Make sure you chock both whels before unhooking from truck hitch, because if it starts to roll there will be no stopping it. Then lower the tongue and push. A little pushing help will also be much appreciated. Don't forget the windshield also must clear the garage door when it's up and the arm on the garage door opener to.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

popcorn.gif

So, it's Sunday.
Did he get the boat yesterday?
Did he make it home?
Did the boat fit?
Is he still in the garage trying to make it work?

The waiting... Oh the waiting!!!
nilly.gif

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

He's prolly still passed out on his drive way with the boat jammed under the door. :eek::D:D:D

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

Oh well, since no one else mentioned it . . .

Lower the garage floor:rolleyes:.

man....listen to us boat crazy nuts :D

the logical thing is to buy a smaller boat.

but here we are .....lovin our beloved toys so much....we are ready to renovate our homes....build winches and dollys...raise the house.....add a second story !

:D

ya just gotta love us nutballs !

btw.....it the tounge down thing doesnt work.....then td is correct in raising the header of your garage...its not that tough.

put a mooring in the garage.

The dealer just confirmed the actual height from the floor to the very top of the windshield to be 86", give or take an inch. The garage opening is exactly 84" so we're only talking 2-3 inches of play here.

What about this?

Step 1: Back the boat into the garage half-way (remind you, I'm on a slight incline). Both trailer axles and tires should be on flat ground and completely inside the garage. Apply emergency brake. Drink a frosty beverage and plan next step.

Step 2: Secure boat to garage (to keep it from sliding down the driveway) then remove trailer from truck. Drink another frosty beverage just to be sure I have enough courage to continue.

Step 3: Lower the trailer jack 5 or 6 inches. Drink yet another frosty beverage just because.

Step 4: Use muscle-power or winch to safely pull/push boat into the garage the rest of the way. Screw the frosy beverages...hard liquor now...

Step 5: Raise trailer jack to level and chock the tires. Pass out :)

Of course, I could always rig-up something mentioned in previous posts too...

All marvelous ideas. Especially the frosty beverages. How about knocking the gable end off the garage and putting a second floor in?....or the sell the house and buy some old barn where you have the storage you REALLY NEED!:D:D

jacknbella

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, we bought the boat yesterday:) I'll post some photos tomorrow. Anywho, it went straight into winter storage at a nearby storage facility because we only have a 2-car garage and both vehicles are parked inside during the winter months. Neither one of us likes to scrape windows this time of year. Nonetheless, I've made a hard copy of this entire thread because I'm planning to attempt some of the ideas all you gurus suggested but I have 5 months to perfect a system of accomplishing said problem. I may call on your help again.

I also have another "jerry-rig" problem I'm about to challenge everyone with but let's wait til tomorrow.

Once again, this has got to be the best website ever! You guys rock!!!

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

I also have another "jerry-rig" problem I'm about to challenge everyone with but let's wait til tomorrow.

Umm... my answer will be duct-tape and a hammer.

I guess I need to get more popcorn to find out about the boat and garage...
popcorn.gif
or maybe I should get some frosty ones
toast.gif
, but waiting all winter could cause a problem
drunk.gif
, but that could be fun!

Lots of luck with it. What about just keeping the boat in storage during the year near your ramp?

jacknbella

Petty Officer 1st Class

New boat photos attached! Unfortunately, it went straight into winter storage so we won't get to "play" with it until spring :(

Attachments

• boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 0
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 0

jacknbella

Petty Officer 1st Class

Folding the tower down is relatively easy, however, I don't want to play with it everytime I use the boat. Removing it completely from the boat is also easy but I'll need to "cover" the mounting surfaces with something so they don't rust and or look like crap.

sundowner205

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would do as suggested in a previous post - find a local fabricator and have them make some nice SS covers with radiused edges, and secure them with SS screws. That will probably be your best bet.

Another viable option is to have the dealer fill the holes and surface the area with gelcoat, however, I've got a feeling that that would be rather pricey and the areas may not blend with the original finish of the boat.

Best of luck.

erikgreen

Captain

Well, I'm late to the thread, but here's my solution to the same problem when I had to get my 210 Sea ray into my garage.

First, I should note that I had fixed up the trailer for it quite a bit, including putting drop axles on it that lowered it by 4 inches. This caused a lot of other problems, but when I had to put it in the garage it helped.

On that trailer, it sat about 9 1/2 feet above the ground at the top of the windshield. I had no hard top, nor anything else projecting that high. The garage was hand-built by a previous owner, and was oddly constructed, being a large two car garage (about 28ft x 23 feet) with a 7 foot high door, and homemade trusses about 7 feet 1 inch off the floor. But it was a concrete floor, was out of the weather, and I had a gas line that ran to it, so I could work in the coldest weather (at great cost for gas as it turned out).

So what I did was I removed the windshield. I just removed the trim, stored it, removed the SS screws, put 'em in a plastic jar, and muscled the extremely heavy windshield off by myself (don't try this yourself). The windshield went in my attached garage, the boat in the detached.

Then it would just.... barely....fit, provided I drove it straight in and gave the suspension time to adjust to the bump at the garage front. Of course, I forgot to remove the "arm" on the garage door opener, which cost me some vinyl that I had been planning to remove anyway.

I also neglected to watch my horns (2 of 'em) closely enough, so they were badly damaged enough to need removal.

Once inside I used some car stands and a hydraulic jack to take the boat off the trailer. This saved me a few inches to work in, cut down wear on the trailer, and gave me a more stable, better supported hull to work on.

In the end I got it in and redid the deck and stringers Jan-April. I'd say it was worth it, although I don't want to do that again unless there's a real need.

I also decided that this boat was wrong for me... I wanted some features of a bigger boat, but in a boat small enough for me to handle solo. This is neither, so I'm going to build a smaller boat this winter, and buy a bigger one that I'll keep in a slip.

Oh, and I'm going to store the current one in covered storage for the winter, so I preserve all the work I did without having to muscle the windshield around.

Erik

jacknbella

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Salmon, here's my original thread regarding your problem. Enjoy!

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer

Funny...I started reading your thread because it resurfaced to the top and saw your last post. Thanks. I'd be interested to see what kind of solution you come up with as well. The good thing about fourwinns is that their boat spec is very good. They actually list the boat height on trailer, very unique among boat dealers. I was just looking at the 220SS last night actually, I was thinking to myself, hey this 22' can fit in my garage! My wallet is a different story. Then I looked at the standard 22', which may be what you got. Too tall. Fortunately this 21' Larson is suppose to fit my garage at ~80", will triple measure that sucker before buying it. I actually have like 10'+ height inside my garage once I clear the darn door opening. I researched this subject to death as well on a different site, before I found iboat of course. One suggestion is to use a lower profile tire. You can save an inch or two. Talk to the tire guys about the weight capacity of different tires. Especially since you have tandem trailer, you should be able to save quite a bit of height due to weight distribution on four tires compared to two.

Iboaters got some great ideas. Removing the windshield is a crazy idea, unless you install one of the quick release into the windshield. These are popular in center console, which was the boat I was looking at before.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with. Good luck. Let us know.

jacknbella

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the freakin weather would ever warm up, I would attempt many different possibilities. I'm hoping to spend some time on my new boat this weekend (it's in winter storage for another month or two) playing with all sorts of things inside it, as well as, triple-check heights etc. Believe it or not, Four Winns specs are actually a little higher than actual measurements, at least from my initial measurements. I've got nearly 8' clearance once the boat gets inside our garage door opening (it's 84"). I'm not too keen on changing tires or even deflating them. That would be a total pain in the rear as I don't own a air compressor. I'm still seriously considering the "winch" idea over all other options. It has the potential to be safest option (since our driveway is inclined) but not the most economical.

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer

I don't own an air compressor as well but it's like $150. Cheap compared to a boat. Once inside, inflate the tires back to norm. It's just to get you through the door anyways.

The four winns spec should be higher than norm, but that's to cover them. Typical. You'd rather overstate the measurement than understate them.

I'd rather change the tires than do many of the other recommendations. Good luck. Post pictures when you've done it.

tcarden

Cadet

Hahahaha,

This is great, 3 pages of justifying our toys! I love it!

Quite honestly if I couldn't lower the tongue enough after removing from the tow vehicle and also be able to easily back it into the garage from there i would nox the other ideas. Just my 2 cents.

You definately need to keep whtever boat you have in a garage or enclosed building. Park you convertible outside with top down. Throw a cover over it. NOT.

jacknbella

Petty Officer 1st Class

We are a sad, sad group of individuals. We need projects like this to keep our sanity during the "off-season"... Fortunately, we have iBoats to fall back on when we need assistance.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Changing the wheel/tire can cut inches off. But instead of going to an 10 or 8" rim, look at the hard rubber wheels used on heavy equipment, like the extending platforms. They often are only about 10 to 12 inches total height. If you can get a set of those (might have to re-drill bolt pattern) it could cut up to a foot off of the height, depending on what tires are are there now. I'm sure they are strong enough to support the weight of the boat/trailer. Ideally, getting a wheel just an inch or so larger than the hub would give the max drop.

Fromtoronto

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 72 inch clear height to enter garage, how can I fit my 124 inch high boat inside. Thanks in advance.