Tall Boat into a Low Garage

jacknbella

Petty Officer 1st Class
Attention iBoat Gurus! I'm about to pull the trigger on a new 22' Four Winns and I'd like to store it in my garage but the height of my garage door opening is only 84" tall. Once I clear the opening of the garage door, the height below the raised garage door is actually 93" tall. The boat (on trailer) is approx 88" tall so I could feasibly remove the boat from my tow vehicle, lower the trailer jack, and push the boat into the garage until it clears the 84" opening, then raise it again once inside. In theory, it should work. Does anyone have any advice or lessons learned for me consider?

Thanks in advance!

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Tall Boat into a Low Garage

well, my advise is coming from a poor person. so is probably not of much relevance. anyways....
1- don't get a boat that won't fit in the garage
2- modify the garage so it fits
3- put it in the yard or driveway like the rest of us poorer boaters do...

since my garage was made for a model t..... and i'm poor........ i went with number 3... if i want a boat....

side thought.... if lowering the trailer tongue lets ya get it into the garage. maybe get a small lawn tractor or the likes, or one of them motorized 2 wheel carts that let ya have the tongue low and still move the boat around? maybe....

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

also is the garage long enough? you could swap out tires. or can they put it on a lower slung trailer. if garage door is one the gable end of the garage, not a huge job, to put a taller door.

jacknbella

Petty Officer 1st Class

Unfortunately, I live in a stupid sub-division so I'm not allowed to store a boat in the yard or my driveway. It must fit in the garage or I will need to find alternate storage. I can afford to store it elsewhere, but I would rather store it in my garage, where I can keep close tabs on it. The depth of my garage is 26', so I'm good there. The Four Winns trailer also has a swing-away tongue. Since I'm buying a 2008 left-over (for dirt cheap), I highly doubt the dealer will have access to a lower-slung trailer, but I can ask.

Thanks again!

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well; first off.....if you haven't actually bought it yet; I'd certainly have the dealer bring it by and try out your solution.

If the boat really will fit inside with a lowered trailer tongue; then I'd say go for it. It doesn't sound like a big deal; as long as the driveway is level...

I'd consider installing a winch at the rear of the garage to help secure the boat once it is un-hitched; and thus provide you with an effortless way of moving it backwards.

You also might consider looking into one of these:

http://www.powermoverinc.net/

I've always wanted one; but can't justify the cost.

Good luck,

Chuck

marquette

Petty Officer 1st Class

just another thought to double check. i have a 22ft garage. i bought a 17ft boat. should have fit in the garage but it didn't when i got home. the combination ot the outboard and small amount of trailer tongue was 4in too long for my garage. you might want to take a tape measure and measure the total length very carefully. a 22 ft boat with either a I/O unit or outboard and either some trailer tongue or overhanging bow (after the tongue is folded) may push the limits of your garage lenthwise. be a shame to figure out how to get it in the door and then not be able to close the door. i ended up building a box extension on my garage for the outboard to fit back into.

mthieme

Captain

Let enough air out of the tires to make it in and then fill 'em back up.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I had a similar issue with my garage when we bought the truck. We only had about 3/4" clearence on the luggage rack.

When I got into it I found that the garage door was a foot taller than the opening so I just raised the door header 8" and it became a none issue.

It took me less than a day from start to finish and cost me 2- 5/4 x 8" trim boards, a tube of chaulk, a qt. of paint and a few brown bottles at the end of the day.:D

jacknbella

Petty Officer 1st Class

You guys are the bomb!!! I really like the idea of mounting a power winch at the rear of our garage to pull the boat into the garage once unhitched from the truck. Our driveway is also slightly inclined so I would feel more comfortable using a winch once the trailer was unhitched too. It's also relatively inexpensive. I also like the idea of letting some air out of the tires, if it comes down to that.

Unfortunately, the height of the garage door opening is fixed at 84". I would have to rip-out some 2x4's and aluminum siding to increase its height and besides, the wife would kill me if I even mentioned it to her.

I still think I have plenty of room depth-wise. I asked the dealer to measure the length of the boat from the forward-most point on the swing-away tongue to the aft-most point on the lower unit (raised) and I still have 18+ inches of clearance left-over, which may be just enough to mount a winch to the wall.

The dealer is located 4 hours away so having him "test" the above ideas is not possible.

Keep the ideas coming though!!! I am already astonished with your suggestions so far!!!

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Go to the dealer with tape measure in hand and lower the tongue all the way. Measure the highest point on the boat then you will know if it will work. Unless the highest point (windshield I guess) is far enough forward of the axle it probably won't change that much.

Letting air out of the tires could get you a couple more inches, but you don't want to go too far here as it could pop them off the rims.

See if the trailer has any adjustability. If the axles are mounted below the springs you may be able to get a little by mounting the axles above the springs. You would have to look at it to see if it is possible.

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh well, since no one else mentioned it . . .

Lower the garage floor:rolleyes:.

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

I wouldn't trust dealer's measurements. If the dealer is unwilling to bring the boat to you, then measure it yourself. There maybe something that can be removed from the boat to fit into your garage. I have a wakeboard tower that I fold down to store it in my garage. Also, I had to change my 14" tires to 13's.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

once you get the boat in the garage with the tounge lowered.......if there is a lot of legnth between the tounge and the axel....the bow will be heavy.....really heavy......hopefully just lowering the tounge jack will give you the 4 inches you need....if it doesnt you might need a floor jack to get the tounge up again..........dont store it bow down.....(youll be tempted to get lazy) but if you do the water in the hull will rot the boat in a few years.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

A bit of a hassle, but you could flat out remove the tires and drop trailer axle onto a dolly or two. Make sure the dollies are sturdy enough to support the rig. Dollies on swivels would also allow easier movement within the garage to get it right up tight to the wall/etc. Might not be practical if you're pulling the boat out every weekend, but if it goes in for the winter and comes out in the spring it wouldn't be too bad...
- Scott

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I would go with the dolly idea. Remove the wheels and set axle or hub on dollies. You may need to put down some 1/2" plywood to make the dollies ride over any lip on the garage floor. It could stay that way until you need to take it out.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

man....listen to us boat crazy nuts :D

the logical thing is to buy a smaller boat.

but here we are .....lovin our beloved toys so much....we are ready to renovate our homes....build winches and dollys...raise the house.....add a second story !

:D

ya just gotta love us nutballs !

btw.....it the tounge down thing doesnt work.....then td is correct in raising the header of your garage...its not that tough.

KeyWestBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I park my Key West in my garage. I agree with 109jb that lowering the tongue probably won't lower what you need that much. In fact the part behind the axle will go up as you lower the front. But you have to try it and measure first. Don't forget about the width, especially if you keep a vehicle next to it! I think taking the tires off, putting it on a dolly, letting air out, etc are impractical ideas if you are taking the boat out much. I couldn't imagine having to do that every time I took my boat out. Possibly putting smaller tires might help as long as you do not exceed the capacity.

Just in case loweing the tongue does it for you I don't think you need a winch or tractor. You can get a lowered hitch receptacle made so you can use your truck to back it in. If you really love the boat and tires/lowering the tongue doesn't work then maybe have the garage opening enlarged. But this could offset any cost savings from your deal. There's lots of good boat deals out there, maybe find a boat that fits!

reelfishin

Captain

I raised my garage door to the maximum years ago, it was done to allow my to get my high top conversion van inside. I added one door panel to the existing door and raised the header about 11" to give me a full 9' of height. It gave me a full 9x9" opening. I wish I had widened it at that time as well, since I ended up buying a new door a few years later and making it a 9x12" opening.
(If I had it to do over, I'd have tossed the overhead door altogether in favor of two swinging doors to allow even more height.

I would make really sure that the boat will fit inside the garage, measure the outdrive to bow tip or longest point on the tongue as it will be stored. Take into account that the length may change when the boat tilts and that you will also have to consider the width of the boat vs. the door's width.
I just barely used to fit my 19' Renken into my garage with an 8x8' door opening years ago, I had to back it in, lower it on stands for the winter. I also had to tilt the motor all the way in, remove the prop, and pull the trailer out and that just gave me enough space to slide under the bow to get the door locked. The garage measured 25' deep from the door to the drywall. I also had to remove a section of drywall to allow the outdrive to fit between the studs. Getting it in and out was a real chore, I also had to remove the trailer fenders to clear the door opening since the trailer measured 98" wide with the fenders on.

If you find that your boat will indeed fit, figure how much you need to lower it to make in in the building, take into account any change of height as you enter the garage too, often a garage floor will be a few inches higher than the outside pavement. If you can't make the door opening larger, then your only option will be to make the boat duck into the garage somehow. I'd consider making a custom dolly to do the job if this is going to be a regular event. Something that is well secured and easy to use. I've used dollies called Go Jacks to move cars around while working on them in the shop, as well as a few sets of jack stand welded to dollies which move things around without wheels. The problem may turn out to be outdrive ground clearance vs. length. When you lower the boat that far, you may have to tilt the outdrive or motor thus making the boat longer.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I bought a new pontoon last spring and took many measurements to ensure the rig would clear the door. Well -- I came up about 3 inches too low on the door or 3 inches too high on the boat. The solution was simple, I bought two 8-inch trailer wheels with no tires. I get the boat started into the garage and then remove the existing wheels and tires and slap on the 8-inch rims. I place a 2x4 under the wheel to serve as a track. Drop the jacks and back it in. The tongue is way too long but that too was planned for. The trailer I bought can have the entire tongue removed by disconnecting the lights (two connectors) and removing two bolts. Total cost was $22 for the two rims. Takes about 1/2 hour to get the rig inside. I will be contacting my builder to raise the door one panel which, as was pointed out, is not a major modification if you have the room to raise the header and there is adequate interior height.

45Auto

Commander

I would SERIOUSLY question those measurements by the dealer before you commit to buy a boat that has to fit in your garage. The winch tower on my 22' Crownline is 15" in front of the boat. The Bravo 3 drive sticks out 39" from the transom, my Alpha drive on the other boat sticks out 32" from the transom.

DSC06758.jpg

DSC06756.jpg

DSC06757.jpg

No matter which drive you have, a 22' boat plus over 4' of motor and winch tower is gonna cause problems in a 26' garage. If the break in the tongue is further forward than the winch tower then it's even worse. I've seen a couple of people cut slots in their garage doors so the tongue can stick out.