takes 2 long to start is it me 88 evinrude xp 150

corbin5754

Petty Officer 3rd Class
When I go to start my boat I prime the bulb. I raise the fast idle a little hold key in for choke and turn key it will always start but it just takes like 10 cranks and that's gotta. Be hard on my battery. It has new prime bulb vro pump carbs have been cleaned new carb gasket full tank of gas am I doing something wrong. Also when I'm priming the bulb fuel leaks out of all 3 carbs. It looked like fuel was seeping out of gaskets so I replaced all of them still leaks when priming and tilting the motor so then I checked the floats by. Flipping over carb and blowing inside fuel tube and they all were sealed. One last question when I do finally get it started it idles from 1100 to 1400 rpms back and forth where should it idle at. Thanks for your help

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: takes 2 long to start is it me 88 evinrude xp 150

If your floats are set properly, I'd suspect that the float needle valves are worn. Rework the carburetors.... none of them should leak regardless of the fuel primer bulb pressure.

(Carburetor Float Setting)
(J. Reeves)

With the carburetor body held upside down, the float being viewed from the side, adjust the float so that the free end of the float (the end opposite the hinge pin) is ever so slightly higher (just ever so slightly off level) than the other end. And when viewed from the end, make sure it is not cocked.

Starting procedure: Pump fuel primer bulb up hard, advance the throttle to take the butterflies off the dead idle stting, turn the key to the START position and hold the key in to activate the fuel primer solenoid, when the engine fires and starts, release the key from the PRIME/START position to the RUN/ON position.

If you're holding the key in, then releasing it, then cranking the engine..... this is improper. Think of the fuel primer solenoid setup as an electric choke unit.

Rework the carburetors first. The engine will never function properly as long as they're flooding.

corbin5754

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok now I've never messed with floats b4 this will be my first can u explain to me how I do itdont quit understand from the above instructions.

corbin5754

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Right on man thanks I'm going to start on it tonight just wondering. Off subject here but can I use mercury power tilt fluid for my evinrude

corbin5754

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok now I forgot to add the when the fuel leaks out the carb its leaking out of all 3 carbs while priming the bulb is that common 4 all the floats 2 need adjusted or could it b something else

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Reread my above reply.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Do the carbs your engine have plastic bowls?

Last edited:

archcycle

Chief Petty Officer

is that common 4 all the floats 2 need adjusted or could it b something else

It stands to reason that if the last person in there mis-adjusted one carb they would probably have adjusted them all the same.

corbin5754

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yes it has plastic bowls. i took 1 of the carbs off today and i was messing with the float for ever i just dont understand how you know it is adjusted right. i dont understand directions given ive never messed with carbs b4. i put in new needle and seat. should the float have more up and down movement or less.

archcycle

Chief Petty Officer

You are probably reading too far into the adjustment. It is as simple as turning the thing upside down so the float is hanging. Hold it level and check whether it just barely hangs out past the rim. This is the level that it will be able to float up to once the bowl fills with gas. If it doesn't come up far enough, or comes too far out, you can adjust it by bending a flange right by the needle. It's really not a scientific measurement, just eyeball it so it is barely able to get above the lip.

corbin5754

Petty Officer 3rd Class

IMG_20110422_161423.jpg

IMG_20110422_161325.jpg

IMG_20110422_161312.jpg

does this look right.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

With the carburetor upper body upside down as per your last two pictures......

Hold that body up so that you can align the other side of the body with the side closest to you, both sides level with your eyesight. Now you can picture the angle of the float whereas the end farthest away from the hinge point should be ever so slightly higher than level.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The plastic carb bowls on those crossflows. tend to warp along the surface that mates to the upper carb body. Causes fuel leaks and other problems that you are experiencing. The fix is too replace them with with the older style aluminum bowls.

corbin5754

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Made the float adjustments no leaks!!!! Now i just have to find that perfect idle and shifting any suggestions? Thanks for all your help saving me lots of $$$ and a good learning experience.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Set the idle when the boat is floating normally in the water-in forward gear. Set it to 650-750 rpm. You can't set it accurately on the trailer.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

On a flushette, hose on full blast, you can set the idle as follows:

20" shaft engine = 1000 rpm.

25" shaft engine = 1200 rpm.

In the water, the idle will drop down to the approximate idle rpm.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The loading varies depends a lot on what pitch prop you are running. An engine with a 17 pitch prop will have significantly different idle setting than an engine running a 25" prop.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

What I suggested is close enough to make a final adjustment in the water if needed. Worked for me for many years. Idle rpm (neutral) would differ due to exhaust back pressure, not prop pitch. However, in gear, trolling, etc, prop pitch would of course vary BUT going from a 17" to a 25" pitch would take into consideration that the boat will also vary in size. The flushette idle setting I spoke of comes so close that normally no further adjustment is required..... give it a try. You may find that it saves you a bundle of time hauling the rig back and forth to the water.