tainted flush water...

iop

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys...

Started noticing a dark green, merky flush water when i warm up in my driveway.
I live about a mile from my ramp. use in salt water and flush every time I come out. before going in I usualy warm up the engine in my driveway with muffs. The last two times during the warm up ( always at idle ) the water coming out of the gimbal is tainted green... like "green coffee". it lasts for about the first 10 seconds.... is there algae growing in my cooling system??

NHGuy

Captain
Re: tainted flush water...

I'm not a saltwater boater but I have wondered about this very question. Can you put a little something in the flush water to make it kill the green stuff?

a70eliminator

Captain

I'm not too experienced with the flush, I boat only in sweet water, but when you flush after an outing do you run engine long enough for the thermostat to open to circulate the heads and risers.

iop

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm not too experienced with the flush, I boat only in sweet water, but when you flush after an outing do you run engine long enough for the thermostat to open to circulate the heads and risers.

I think so.... the engine is usualy still pretty warm from the run back in. I run it for sometime. I would guess an honest 5 minutes or more. But if I didnt... how could the green stuff be the first to come out??

Brucetafer

Petty Officer 1st Class

does your boat have a raw or heat exchanger?

cr2k

Captain

There is always water dumping to the manifolds if thermo is open or closed.
When flushing you need to watch temp gauge come up then drop slightly showing the thermo is opening. May take 5 min may take 15 min.

sasto

Captain

Could it be coming from your hose and not the engine?