Tahoe Q5i Front Speaker Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmtalon

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Tahoe Q5i Front Speaker Install

I built a custom 12" box under the drivers side dash. Out of the way and makes ripples in the water as I have the sub firing down. 12" Type-R in there is more than enough. If you want pics, let me know.

Yes please

rgcummings

Cadet

Thanks for the info guys. And yes, pics of the sub box would be great.

Wayne0832

Cadet

mschmidt33 - where did you mount the amp? Why did you mount the sub under the starboard side rather than the port side?

mschmidt33

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pics attached explain it all... let me know if you guys need anything else. Could not be happier with the boat after 3 years and 350hrs. Last picture of it is with 2K ballest.

20130118_215509.jpg20130118_215859.jpgIMG_1629.jpgIMG_1633.jpg20130518_202508.jpg

mschmidt33

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Since this post is about front speakers on a Q5... the pic below is the only I could find that shows the location I went with, thus pardon the picture of my daughter and I fishing. The speakers sit on the ridge but with the foam gasket and grills you can't even tell. Makes no difference to sound. The last picture shows my dual battery setup with ACR and switch.

20120415_171220.jpg20130221_075457.jpg

AgentJ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looking sharp!

rgcummings

Cadet

chadyboy

Cadet

I bought this head unit and these speakers (back only). In the near future I will be ordering 2 more of these to add in the front.

Amazon.com: Sony DSX-MS60 DSXMS60 Marine In-Dash MP3/WMA/AAC Digital Media Receiver w/ Internal USB and Front Aux: Car Electronics

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Infinity Reference 612m 6.5-Inch 225-Watt High-Performance 2-Way Marine Loudspeaker (Pair)

The sound is AMAZING. and I love that I can put my Ipod/phone inside the unit and never have to worry about it, and it charges. What I did this past weekend was put about 300 songs on a usb drive and plug it in, and it played all day long.

mschmidt33

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Boat cover is the stock one from Bass Pro made by Dowco. Not cheap but nice for road trips.

mschmidt33, Nice work, thanks for the input. BTW, that's a really nice boat cover you got too. Was that custom made?

dmtalon

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, my turn :)

I got my speakers today and decided there was no time better than the present to cut two big holes in my boat! I didn't have any speaker wire so I haven't screwed the front ones in yet. I'll try to get them wired up tomorrow.

I am also going to see if I can't mount my 15yo bazooka tube too.

IMG_20130619_230050.jpg IMG_20130619_230056.jpg IMG_20130619_230100.jpg

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

man! i could have just bought your old Jensen speakers! :-/

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you order them already?
yep... thats alright i am half assing it and just adding one (they sell individually, free shipping on JensenMarine.com) on the passanger console/walk through area. to add more sound to driving area...while also adding some sound to the front of the boat.

Wayne0832

Cadet

I installed an amp and a 12" 1200 watt sub woofer, unbelievable!!! It is difficult finding a way to mount a box that is the correct size for the sub woofer, I tried building one and putting it under the dash, but I didn't like the way it was crammed in there. So I opted to order the 10" 'Free air' sub woofer from Jensen. I needed to ensure it was marine grade and it was just a little over $100. The other sub's I looked at that were 'free air' and marine grade were twice that.

Now my question is where to install it? I thought about putting it in the bulkhead in the pass through. Tough decision, once the hole it there it is too late to change your mind.

Any idea's? The sub just makes such a difference!!!

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is the results from mounting in the walkthrough area - definitely solved my sound problems from what i can tell.

Adds much needed sound to the driver/passenger area (without deafening rear passengers) while also adding sound to the front seating area. All for just 30$ and a quick easy install.

Using a dremel cutting bit (drill bit looking thing) - worked great through fiberglass and carpet in one fell swoop.

2013-06-24_21-06-21_51.jpg

dmtalon

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm tempted to attempt a free-air sub install there.

Wayne0832

Cadet

That's kind of what I was thinking I'm just not sure how it 10 inch sub Woofer will look in that area. I would probably need to mount it lower, however I'm concerned that the passenger could kick the back of it. Anybody have any thoughts?

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would think if you could some how mount it semi-flush or flush to the finished fiberglass it wouldn't be as obtrusive to people walking through. Versus a full on raised grill like a standard 6.5" marine speaker.

I was worried about my location - but after mounting it - i don't think it will be a problem - will get to try it at the lake tonight!!!

CURIOUS - At the cutout, much need to seal the 'wound' with silicone or something? It is under the windshield so it is somewhat protected from the elements (besides its 358 nightly storage in my garage...) Seems like there was some wood backer in the mix there... what did people do on the front mounts?

Same goes for screws - I used some zinc coated bolts with washers/nuts on the back side I had laying around. Put a decent coat of anti-seize to stave off corrosion on the threading. Contemplating picking up comparable stainless steel stuff at the hardware store.... definitely would if boat spent more time at a dock. I figured with its easily accessible location I can easily monitor it for rust.

dmtalon

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I put clear silicone around the speaker grill up front so as long as the speaker surround is intact it should be pretty water tight. Up front the fit is lousy because of the non flat surface so I thought it would be a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.