Tahoe 220 not steering straight

Status
Not open for further replies.

raalexa

Recruit
My 22 foot Deck boat sways side to side at low speeds. Goes straight at higher speeds. Is this normal for a deck boat? I recently purchased this boat and have never had a deck boat before so I dont know if something is wrong or not. The steering is responsive but at low speeds I have to constantly steer left and right over and over to keep it going in the right direction.

kailec00

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Tahoe 220 not steering straight

I am not sure on the deck boats, but I do know that a lot of the bow riders will ?wander? at lower speeds. There are many threads on here about trim tabs. I have the Q5I and it must be one of the lucky ones, because it stays pretty straight at low speeds. There are pictures in this forum of owners attaching the trim tabs and where they put them. They look like a good investment, they keep the boat straight and help with planning. Hope this helps.

Robbabob

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I hope this does not come out as an insult.... since you state this is your first deck boat, I have to assume you are a beginner to this style or type of boat. Mostly, the trick is about learning and getting to know your boat.

Nice thought about the trim tabs, but those are only useful at higher speeds. There are a few things to consider with your slow speed (idle/no-wake):
1* Make sure you are trimmed all the way in/down.
2* over-correcting is quite typical; even with experienced boaters. You need to learn to make smaller adjustments and anticipate the next direction. Again, think small corrections; not getting you back on a direct line again, but started in that direction. It will become a feeling, rather than a reaction.
2* Increasing from a 3-blade to a 4-blade prop. These seem to hold a line better at slower speeds.

Again, just trying to help... practice, practice, practice. Enjoy your new deck boat! :cool:

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Deck boats generally don't have a very deep "V", and they may wander a little bit. The back and forth motion shouldn't be too hard to handle, however.

I have Bennett trim tabs on an inboard outboard. They are used at low speeds--and retracted at higher speeds. They allow you to plane the boat @ 10 mph, which is great for looking at the scenery. You can pull skiers like a boat with 50 hp more, since the hull doesn't rise before planing off. It's great to be able to level your boat when a couple of fat women sit on the same side. Trim Tabs are easy to install, and a great $500 addition to any full hulled boat. They're not applicable for bass boats or pontoon's, however.

Art Bernard

Banned

Is this an outboard boat? If it is I'd take a look at your engine mounts. Not where it hangs on the transom, but the rubber mounts. I had a 175 on a 20' center console and it wouldnt go straight to die for. Turned out that the mounts were shot and I had to replace them. Went stright as an arrow after that.

Art

kailec00

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Look at some of the threads here in the Tahoe forum. Sounds like what you are experiencing is the same as the q4, q5, and q7 on here. Maybe I should have been more specific use the smart tabs, they have helped with wandering on other Tahoes at below wake speeds. Sounds like they will help you.

Rmess1767

Cadet

I have a 19.6F 2006 Tahoe Q4 F/S V-6. At low speeds it wandered all over, enough to drive you nuts. I installed a set of 1290-60 Stainless Steel Nauticus Trim Tabs and now it is straight as an arrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.