Tackle boxes

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
My "new" tackle box (less than 5 years old) broke badly enough a month ago that I ended up trashing it and pulled out my old standby, which I've owned for something like 35 years. Both boxes are general purpose types and are large, although the old one is huge compared to the newer one.

The issue that I have is two-fold.
  • limited space on the boat, so I don't want a whole bunch of boxes or even one large box like I'm having to use now.
  • I like a variety of baits on hand, plus supplemental gear.
I'd thought about getting smaller, soft-sided tackle bags, maybe having a crankbait box, a soft bait box, a supplies box, etc., but I'm just not sure. I have no experience at all with the soft cases.

Thoughts and ideas please! :)

topgun3690

Ensign
The main reason I didn't buy the soft case gear was "water".....most are water resistant, not water proof. So if they get wet, which they will if you don't have dry storage on your boat, then you will have to thoroughly dry them out before putting away, or you can imagine the mold that would form.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
The main reason I didn't buy the soft case gear was "water".....most are water resistant, not water proof. So if they get wet, which they will if you don't have dry storage on your boat, then you will have to thoroughly dry them out before putting away, or you can imagine the mold that would form.
Hey, thanks for that info. I'd not considered the boxes getting wet. Mind you, when we're out fishing, the boxes typically don't get splashed and we don't fish in the rain. But it is something to consider. :unsure:

Like the time 30 years ago when I accidentally kicked an open hip-roof type box overboard. 😧

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I carried 3 boxes for a number of years. Boat, Beach and Travel for years.

Got tired of not having everything at my disposal. Not to mention leaving the travel box at home when fishing a tournament not once, but twice....lol
Won a large soft sided bag as a tournament prize a number of years ago and never looked back.

Had to buy a new bag the beginning of last year. As usual, the zippers rusted up and seize after 4-5 years.

Bought a Plano Z-Series bag, 3700 size. It’s “water proof”, not a big issue in my situation, (dry storage) but the bag has no zippers to rust and break which is a big plus given my history of bag failures.

Looked smallish when it arrived but has plenty of side pockets to house everything in an organized manner.

Now if I could just find a light weight bag to carry my surf fishing weights.
My iglo playmate easily weighs #50 by now

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I don't like the bag with the plastic trays or bins inside I prefer the open up 6 trays. I have one with pike rigs, one with walleye rigs and one with panfish rigs, I mix the bass rigs with the walleye ones. I usually go out for one specie each trip out, that way I only have 1-2 tackle boxes and 3 rods. If I packed it all for all species and all the rods it would be a cluster. I am lucky I live on a lake but I am within 20 minutes of a dozen different lakes so I am mobile.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I don't like the bag with the plastic trays or bins inside I prefer the open up 6 trays. I have one with pike rigs, one with walleye rigs and one with panfish rigs, I mix the bass rigs with the walleye ones. I usually go out for one specie each trip out, that way I only have 1-2 tackle boxes and 3 rods. If I packed it all for all species and all the rods it would be a cluster. I am lucky I live on a lake but I am within 20 minutes of a dozen different lakes so I am mobile.
Yeah, I hear ya about piles of stuff. When I had my Bass Tracker Tournament TX-17 several decades ago, I'd have 3 or 4 good sized boxes with me. Plus at least 4 rods, each rigged differently. And I fished alone, so there never was a space issue.

Nowadays, it's me, my wife and "the boy" in our 16' Kingfisher. Gets pretty tight in there at times. For now, we're fishing freshwater but the Gulf is close by and we'll definitely be hitting it sometime next year. That means even more tackle and rods, etc. 🙄

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I still have my very 1st box, circa 1980. It is 100% aluminium exept for the plastic trays that are mostly melted away. Melting plasic was a problem back then whn rubber baits came out. We have a 19'6" deep Star Craft Superfisherman 190 and there is no way it will fit all the rods, reels, tackle, nets, Dipsy Divers, downriggers, planner boards, Jet Divers, spare line. I know I missed something. What we do is standard size some tackle, but why bring flippin sticks and Largemouth Bass gear when we are going out for Smallmouth? And vice-versa. Also when I invite someone out for a day fishing I ask them to leave thier 4 rods and reels home, I have all that we will ever need. I do know we all have a favorite and standard sized rod and reel and a favorite plug, bring it. We aren't exactly entered in a Pro tourney where 100K is on the line, the thing is to have fun, but I do take my fishin' seriously a touch I'm told. And do not forget to check each and every strand of line for a knick after you land a fish, only kidding, actually I'm not.

The fishin' Nazi
Johnny D

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
This is my current box and it's just too big. I think I got it back in 1985.

I may end up downsizing, getting a smaller storage setup and trying not carrying everything under the sun with me. 🙄

3.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

2.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
This morning I went to Walmart to buy tackle boxes and fishing gear for my family. I bought a couple of medium sized tackle bags (with 2 plastic boxes each) for my wife and the boy. They'll be for bass fishing. They already have smaller boxes for panfishing.

I really got to thinking about downsizing my onboard tackle storage. While checking out all the options, I found a couple that could hold quite a bit but weren't all that bulky. There were some very nice little tackle bags there which could fit the bill I think.

Decisions... decisions... :unsure: :LOL:

MRS

Commander
I have the soft bag with four boxes in it works great have all the hooks weights swivels and lures in it plus accessories that I need. Was going to take a photo of it for you but I just put the cover on the boat . You can also get them with only 2 boxes in them makes them even smaller.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Yeah, I hear ya about piles of stuff. When I had my Bass Tracker Tournament TX-17 several decades ago, I'd have 3 or 4 good sized boxes with me. Plus at least 4 rods, each rigged differently. And I fished alone, so there never was a space issue.

Nowadays, it's me, my wife and "the boy" in our 16' Kingfisher. Gets pretty tight in there at times. For now, we're fishing freshwater but the Gulf is close by and we'll definitely be hitting it sometime next year. That means even more tackle and rods, etc. 🙄

When I fish the gulf, I fish lighter than ever, 1 rod and circle hooks, minnows or shrimp. Just free lining.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I picked up a couple of soft sided items 2 days ago. A small bag and a larger tackle tote.

Experimented this afternoon and the small is too small and the large is too large. Guess I need a medium? :unsure: :LOL:

Once I find a size that works for me, I'll relegate that giant old blue box to backup supply status. Meanwhile, the search continues. And choices are getting pretty slim this time of year. :oops:
1.jpg

2.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
When I fish the gulf, I fish lighter than ever, 1 rod and circle hooks, minnows or shrimp. Just free lining.
I understand. :)

But, we'll be fishing the flats and I like to toss lures. Never have been much of a live bait kinda guy. My wife, on the other hand, loves using live or cut baits. Then again, if I don't stop wrecking my shoulder (like I did again this afternoon), I may never be able to toss a lure again! 😬

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I returned the Ozark Trail bags this afternoon and picked up an Ugly Stik medium sized bag. It looks like it'll work out well. Not too big, not too small. And it matches my Ugly Stik fishing rods! 😁

It holds four 3500 size stowaway boxes plus has several pockets and numerous attachment loops.

Weather here is warm and muggy, so I'll wait until it cools off before I go out to the garage and arrange things from the big blue box. 😎

Pix are stock photos.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

MRS

Commander
That is the same size bag and boxes I have holds everything I need I think you will like it. I got hooks weights swivels lures floats jigs catfish pliers. Hope it works out for you.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Aren't tackle boxes exactly like tools? I mean you can never ever have too many of either...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Aren't tackle boxes exactly like tools? I mean you can never ever have too many of either...
Nope...like wives and girl freinds, more than one is problematic....lol.

Got tired of playing musical boxes then not having what I needed when push came to shove.

Started by cleaning house of the redundant stuff. Then moved on to stuff that I never used. Was able to organize the rest to fit in 3700 boxes that fit in a tackle bag.

If I can get away with just one large tackle bag... anyone can...lol

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well that sound logical, but if I only had one tackle box setup like that, I would NEED whatever the others were using to actual catch fish. Yea, I am a perfect fisherman that catches more tackle then fish... lol

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Well, the weather turned nice today and I did get out to the garage and started organizing the new Ugly Stik tackle bag this afternoon. I have to say that I like it a lot! I believe that it's actually lighter when full than the old box is while empty! :LOL:

I got most everything out of the old box and into the new bag. I still have several empty pockets and room for another box if needed. The spinnerbaits, buzzbaits and jigs will have to wait until I get some storage pouches for them. Gotta wait to see what Santa brings before I do anything about those. 🎅 :cool:

That is the same size bag and boxes I have holds everything I need I think you will like it. I got hooks weights swivels lures floats jigs catfish pliers. Hope it works out for you.
Thanks! I believe that it's just what I needed.

For sure! :ROFLMAO:

Back in the day, I'd have at least 4 different boxes with me. A crankbait box, worm box, spinnerbait box, etc. It was definitely easy to find the right bait, just grab the right box and rig up.

Of course, I also had at least 4 rods on deck, already rigged.

Well that sound logical, but if I only had one tackle box setup like that, I would NEED whatever the others were using to actual catch fish. Yea, I am a perfect fisherman that catches more tackle then fish... lol
Man, when I lived in southern California, I had to have the "right" lures or the fish would have lockjaw. I recall once while fishing Vail Lake... I had these 4 inch cinnamon colored finesse worms with a small blue stripe on each side and the bass were just tearing them up. Literally. After the last worm was destroyed, I switched to another cinnamon worm but with a black stripe. No more bites for the rest of the day! 🙁 So, I try to keep a variety on hand.

Size comparison. The new bag is significantly smaller than the old box.
1.jpg

Top tray on the blue box shows what I had on level one.
2.jpg

The blue box lower level had a bunch more stuff!
3.jpg

The new bag has larger storage boxes.
4.jpg

Nearly everything has been transferred to the new tackle bag and I still have plenty of room and some empty storage pockets in the bag. Jigs, et. al, will follow in a week or two! 😉
5.jpg

JerryTX

Cadet
I have one of the old Guide Series boxes as well. I like it but doesn't really fit nicely in my kayak or bass boat.

The biggest downside with the soft bags I found was when I was kayak fishing. It was real easy to get baits caught on the bag and mesh.

On the bass boat I pretty much use the 3700 series boxes for all the hard baits and spinning/buzz bait specific boxes.

They seem to stow well in the boat without a lot of problem. For the soft plastics I think I'm leaning towards bait bags. I like to break my soft plastics up (jig trailers / worms / swim baits / creature baits / etc).

When I bank or pond fish I use a soft bag with my preferred baits but I keep all the baits in the original plastic box (or a small clear plastic box) so keep from snagging them.