Tach gremlin...

Oshkosh1

Ensign
Hi all...
I installed a new Faria tach about 3 months ago, the old one was toast.

This one is new and functions well up to 3k RPM, but when throttled up above that it pegs out only to return to "normal" when throttled back down below 3k once again.

There are 4 positions on the selector on the back, 4 cyl, 6 cyl, 8 cyl, and 12 pole. I have ensured that "6 cyl" is selected, all wires are tight, clean, and free of corrosion.

No runniing issues at all.

Thanks in advance.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Tach gremlin...

Hi all...
I installed a new Faria tach about 3 months ago, the old one was toast.

This one is new and functions well up to 3k RPM, but when throttled up above that it pegs out only to return to "normal" when throttled back down below 3k once again.

There are 4 positions on the selector on the back, 4 cyl, 6 cyl, 8 cyl, and 12 pole. I have ensured that "6 cyl" is selected, all wires are tight, clean, and free of corrosion.

No runniing issues at all.

Thanks in advance.

Ayuh,... Sounds like the new 1 took the path of the old 1,... so,... try Another 1...

Oshkosh1

Ensign
Re: Tach gremlin...

Ayuh,... Sounds like the new 1 took the path of the old 1,... so,... try Another 1...

It's got no more than 20 min of running time on it.

I suppose it COULD be bad "out of the box" however, I'm not ready to throw away a $90 tacho yet.

I thought of the (-) pole on the coil, however it seems that I'd have other issues if that were the case. I know that's really the only other component in the mix...but I'm trying to cover all the bases here.

I turned on the lights, and there was no flickering, dimming etc...in correlation with the needle going awry, so power doesn't seem to be an issue.

The tach's I've seen "go bad" were either stone cold dead, or the needle bounced all over regardless of RPM.