Sx cobra outdeive

Tracyrobert

Cadet
I'm going to be removing my outdrive so I can inspect my joint,bellows and bearing. I just for my manual.but my question is it nesseary to realign it when I reinstall it even though alignment was good before I removed it. And also manual says to take it off in neutral but I've always read to put it in forward to remove it.. thanks

Robert

HopinImFloatin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Sx cobra outdeive

welcome to the forums! im not completely sure about the sx drive, but my cobra(87 vintage) needs to be in neutral for removal, mercruisers need to be in forward gear. Alignment doesnt NEED to be checked but is a good idea while everything is apart, if nothing else it will make sure it goes back in easier. On an older boat you never know if things are moving/shifting. Im sure the better informed will comment soon also

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The only drive that has to be in forward for removal is the Mercruiser Alpha type drives, NOT Volvo. It's not even like the older Cobra drives. Fact is, you have to disconnect the shift cable at the drive to get the drive off. So what gear you are in means little.

You do not have to re-align it, but you do need to check it. Then you know nothing has gone wrong or is going wrong.

Here are the R & R instructions for the drive.

View attachment SX R&R.pdf

Tracyrobert

Cadet

Thanks guys..I'm just trying to learn and save 250.00 by doing it myself..either one pf you know a link where I can get a part diagram to get part numbers for o rings for drive shaft and stuff..I'm pretty sure I should be able to order them from boats here..
Thanks for the great info
Robert

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just scroll up to the top of this page and click on the icon that says Volvo parts.