Switching from SMART tirm Tabs to controllable tabs

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Hi all,

I installed a pair of Smart tabs on my boat last year. Absolutely loved the difference between not having them and having them, however I did notice an increased amount of spray coming into the boat as the bow is obviously down all the time. I am looking to upgrade to trim tabs that I can control (probably Bennetts). I am curious if anyone knows how involved that will be. There are obviously mounting screws for the old tabs...what are the odds that the mounting screws will match up? And for those that do not, can I simply just fill in the old ones with some 3M 5200, or is their a whole process that I need to do for that. Just trying to weigh the options and work that will be needed to complete this to see if it's worth while or just stick with what I have,

Thanks!!

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Odd that you would have spray coming over the bow from the tabs; at speed, they shouldn't be pushing the bow down that much. Have you tried adjusting them to lighten their effect?

If you get to the point of filling holes, I like PC-11 two-part marine epoxy. You can get it at ACE Hardware and other stores. Similar to Marine-Tex, but less expensive.

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the response. I ended up ordering a pair of Bennetts which are longer so moot point on the holes....definitely going to need to fill some holes.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
And you will need to drill some holes, as the hydraulics mount inside the hull.

I would use my trim tabs mostly in rough conditions. Trim down and back off the throttle to minimize the wave effects. Also if I had a boatload of people and someone wanted to waterski. With a boatload,,,and the tabs down, she rode like a barge, but she planed.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
Think I'd get the Smart tabs adjusted correctly before I spent all that time and money putting in hydraulic units. As fas as a planing device Smart Tabs will work head & tails better than the hydraulic units. They may look similar but don't be fooled as they serve two completely different purposes. Smart tabs are dynamic while hydraulics are static. Big difference in how they perform. 99% of what I use the hydraulic tabs for on my SeaRay is to adjust list. If you want them to get on plane quicker I think you gonna be sorely disappointed compared to your Smart Tabs.

Maclin

Admiral
Sounds like your tabs have the wrong piston strength, or not in the best adjusting hole. Have you called Nauticus? They will have some help ready for you on how to get your bow level.

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the input...honestly, I was on the fence on if I should get controlled or auto-adjust from the get-go. I wasn't sure if it would help my performance enough to warrant the cost of the hydraulics. Having used them a couple of times, they did exactly what I was looking for which was keep the boat from bouncing all around in the bay in a slight chop. However, one of the warnings I got from folks when I was researching the two systems, was the use of the trim tabs in certain wave conditions, specifically a following sea. The last time out with the boat before winterizing it got real choppy real quick, the ride back was honestly a little white knuckling. So I would like the ability to be able to put them up and down as needed. I am also a big dude...my wife and child, not so much, so be nice to be able to level out the boat and not have to go on a diet. :) If I was going to be in a pond or lake, I would probably keep the Smart Tabs, but I have a slip this year in the bay, so will be all ocean so I will just sell the smart tabs. Got a good deal on the Bennett system. I really appreciate everyone's help though.