SuzukiDF60T Caution Sensors NG?

Cliffster

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
May 29, 2004
Messages
2
Got the engine back after getting it "commissioned" for the new season; 4 years old under 5 year extended warranty about 200 hours. Cruising at idel speed on Day 1, CHECK ENGING light comes on; I kill the engine, check things out and then go to restart. Nothing. No trim, no nothing. We get towed in, trailer up, head home. During wash down, on a whim during flush-out, I hit the key and - it starts. Hmmm. Take it to the dealer, they say its due to a cheapo Astrolite battery I have. Hmmm. Well OK, I buy the battery. Then, after about an hour at low RPMs, the CHECK ENGINE light comes on, coinciding with three beeps. I keep cool and leave the engine running and head for shore. Get home and flush it per usual and decide to run the engine at low RPMs to see if I can get the CHECK ENGINE light to come on. I let it idle for a while then crank it to 2200 RPM and the TEMP light comes on! WHOA! I kill it and wait, check the water flow - good and cold. Hmmm. SO... I start it up, same deal and again the TEMP light and beeper issue a warning; I kill it and take it to the Suzuki guys. OK, any theories? The motor seems to be running fine; is this a sensor issue? And what about the new battery theory offered by the Suzuki guys? I am meticulous about my boat, maintenance and such and now I am quesy about this engine. Please advise/comment.
 

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Jan 30, 2002
Messages
542
Re: SuzukiDF60T Caution Sensors NG?

The only "Check Engine" alarm that will cause a no start/no trim is the low battery alarm. Your battery cables and terminals must be clean and have lock washers or lock nuts. You may have a charging system problem (very rare on Suzuki's) which would take about an hour running on a new battery to get below 10 volts. The temp alarm was because you ran it on the hose at too high RPM - the engine did not actually overheat, the temp just rose to quickly. Why did you run it to 2200RPM on the hose?
 

Cliffster

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
May 29, 2004
Messages
2
Re: SuzukiDF60T Caution Sensors NG?

Hey thanks. I was trying to recreate the conditions causing the CHECK ENGINE. Th terminals are OEM and clean, set tight with a nylon insert locking nut provied to me by the dealership. I do realize that the sensors see the rate of rise and notify accordingly; luckilly then that is working and I caused no harm. Interesting to know that the low batt condition kills all motor functions. If it were not charging correctly, how often would the alarm go off - does the warning stay lit for the duration of the fault condition or does one assume a warning remains problematic until digsnosed? When the light goes off, is the situation AOK?<br /><br />Maybe I should re-check all terminals and connections.
 

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Mar 25, 2001
Messages
45,907
Re: SuzukiDF60T Caution Sensors NG?

Hi, Cliffster.<br /><br />Cold water from the telltale means nothing. The DF60/70 telltales are connected before the engine block. They indicate input water pressure only.<br /><br />Good luck. :)
 

Meggacatz

Cadet
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
17
Re: SuzukiDF60T Caution Sensors NG?

I have heard that the motor will not function with low battery voltage but I have not experienced it (yet?). This low voltage problem was one that another "dealer" was saying back in '99 trying to sell me on their two-stroke motor. I didn't listen and got a '99 DF70. I was out with a guide when the Suzuki 4 stroke 115 came out and the guide was using it. He also heard about the voltage problem and suggested closely monitoring the battery.<br />Whatever you do - avoid getting water mixed in the fuel cuz' it'll create a real headache.
 

Cliffisher

Recruit
Joined
May 15, 2004
Messages
3
Re: SuzukiDF60T Caution Sensors NG?

Update: <br /><br />TEMP WARNING: Dealer checked the motor; there was a small piece of plastic fiber caught in the cooling loop. They fished it out at a coupling point. CHECK ENGINE also attributed to that as there was still ample battery power to restart, tilt etc.<br /><br />Still gnawing on the battery issue.<br /><br />Not to sound ignorant but to 'closely monitor'n the battery, that means I need to add a guage I guess? What about a standby battery? How would that work? <br /><br />New to this board and I am humbled and quite grateful for all you share. :cool:
 

Meggacatz

Cadet
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
17
Re: SuzukiDF60T Caution Sensors NG?

Cliffisher - I too am new & found the board because of my recent engine problem. <br /><br />The guide cannot afford to loose a charter on a battery. Here in FL the heat kills most batteries in a very short time (usually under 3 years). He replaces his battery yearly and sells his "used" battery. He figures if he spends $100 for a new battery he can get $40-50 for it next year. For him, $50-60 per year for no problems is money well spent.<br /><br />I require several years from my battery and purchased a quality battery charger that I plug in when the boat is not in use. This helps to maintain the battery between starts. It seems to work well and it has a built in battery sensor that flashes when the battery is not taking a proper charge. This is what I got from the guides conversation about monitoring the battery.<br /><br />I have a dual purpose battery installed in the bow for a trolling motor. The trolling motor battery is connected and can "jump" the primary battery by closing a switch. I did not use the selector switch (off/on/batt1/batt2) because you could drain both batteries by leaving the selector in the wrong position. I used a Hella brand switch with a removable key. When the key is not inserted and turned the connection is not made. This is working well for me.<br /><br />I found the electrical advise section of the West Marine catalog to have some good information about batteries and electrical systems. Hope some of this rambling helps.
 
Top