Suzuki Sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruceAML

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Suzuki Sucks!

I just thought of something about that engine. Was the thermostat and water pump changed? I am thinking that the engine may be running hotter than it should but not hot enough to overheat. When you shut if off you are getting a "hot soak" condition. A "hot soak" will make the gas evaporate and can result in a no-start condition. Have you tried a different brand of gas?

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Allow me to come up with a thought out of left field, sometimes it works. Is your fuel tank vented seperately? My tank is under the consol and is not vented. When i unscrew the cap after the boat sits for a day or two the tank is actually pressurized and there is a warning on the cap to be careful of being sprayed with gas. So the cap has got to serve as a vent when the motor is operating. So your motor is running fine when you start it up, the fuel pump is strong enough to pump against a slight vacumme in the tank as the venting process is screwed do to a bad cap. Once you try to restart, the fuel pump cant overcome the vacuum in the tank. ??? Just a thought. Loosen the cap and try it. Like I said, from out in left field. regards FRED

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

as this engine uses a Vapor Seporator tank(VST) its not really suscepitble to vapor lock and such.
however it can be susceptible to a condition known as percolation.
as the VST has to be vented its normally vented to the intake manifold.
this can lead to an excessivly rich fuel mix for a hot restart.
some of the EFI yamahas have had this issue and Yamaha makes a retrofit kit for the earlier EFI motors that had a heat soak issue.
all that VST is is a tank that can supply the high pressure fuel pump with a constant supply of bubble free gas.
its not magic but on a boat its rather nessasary for ease of rigging and repowering.

like I say, this issue is fairly simple to trouble shoot.
when hot do a leak down test,test should take less than 10 minutes. this will verify mechanical integrity,then do a cranking test with a peak reading volt meter attached to the coil primary. this will insure you have proper ign when hot.
from there ya have to get creative.
here is where not only a thourough knowledge of why a 4 stroke internal combustion engine actually works but a thoughrough understanding of how that EFI system works.
if ign is good and mechanical integrity is good it only leaves air/fuel mix in the cylinders.
over about 16/1 it wont run and less than about 13/1 it wont run.
14.7/1 is what its looking for.
air temp,air pressure and humidity affects the A/F ratio quite a bit. which is why most EFI (speed/density systems) use a MAP sensor and an intake air temp sensor.

BruceAML

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have you tried the needle valve assembly on the fuel vapor separator? What about the fuel pump filter and the fuel filter? Has anyone checked the fuel vapor separator float to see if it is set correctly or if it is porous?

BruceAML

Petty Officer 1st Class

What happened to Diver22. Did you find the problem yet?

mokaction

Petty Officer 2nd Class

wow ya, I wonder what happen to the out come of this issue.. wow..

clanton

Rear Admiral

What happen???????????????????????? You up and running?

micel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was at ft.lauderdale boat show this weekend and brought this to issue up to rep. (including what forum),I basically told him how can you expect people to buy your product with this type of support.He said the issue should of been rectified with in a month,one way or another and that he was going to look into it.He seemed so concerned I would not be surprised if he does'nt post reply on thread!

diver22

Cadet

BNo the boat is not running, and Suzuki has given up on the problem. The Senior Technician from Suzuki said " we have checked everything and we can replicate the problem, but we do not know what is causing the problem." So I have picked the boat up and left it in my attorneys court. Suzuki has yet to respond to my attorneys letters. Once we settle, i think I will take it to another dealer and give then the notes on what was tested. Any recomendations for Central/ Southern California? I appreciate your guys input, but I no longer have the time to invest in trying to solve the problem. It is a shame, especially sine the engine runs great, it just wont restart when warm.

Thank you all for the help!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if compression when hot is ok, spark is ok at the correct time and fuel is being delivered at the correct time and in the correct quantity and the exhaust path is clear it runs,
doesnt matter who,where or how it was built.
its not a suzuki issue, as you will find, its a dealer issue.
as the dealership is a franchise and so far no one can prove a defect from the manufacturer your fighting a losing battle, trust me on this.
best bet would be to take it to a real dealership and look for the factory school certifications on the wall for at least electrical and fuel systems.
my bet will be either on fuel percolation from the VST causing a rich restart when hot, easy to check/correct, or possibly an injector driver issue. there again very simple to check.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

In spite of our policy of not allowing bashing we have let this thread run its course because it seems to have become an engine troubleshooting topic.

That, however, is enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.