Suzuki DT200 rev limiter at 2000

Kjeldman

Recruit
I’ve got an older Suzuki Exanti DT 200 12 plug system that hits a rev limiter at around 2000 rpm. I was reading another post where someone had said there was a way to disconnect the limiter but I looked for the wires and box they were talking about; “Older v6 suzukis have an oil module behind the microlink/cdi cover at the rear of the engine. Remove the cover and look for a rectangular black box about 2" long. It will have a red plastic sleeve around the wire bundle and be close to the bottom near a hole in the plastic that houses the coils. Unhook it from the harness and retest. The warning system should still work,but the rev limit will not.I think that this part is NLA, but i know of many that are still running with them unhooked.”
And I couldn’t find it or the red plastic sleeve?
Everything seems to be running ok until it limits out. I’ve checked the sensors and they are good. I don’t have a diagnostic gauge or a warning alarm (never heard one) so I’m feeling a little blind. I’d like to make sure the limiter is disconnected to see if that can run/diagnose this motor better.
Also it runs great in the driveway but when it’s on the water it hits the limiter.
Good water stream.

Attachments

• IMG_8216.png
    IMG_8216.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8215.png
    IMG_8215.png
    9.4 MB · Views: 0

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
most outboards have a rev limiter at over the normal maximin RPM.
so I would think you have an overheat, low water level, or low oil flow or level on that Zuk.
gauges help a lot to identify what kind of problems shows up.
and make sure you alarm system works

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
been a while since one of these crossed my path , it was very limited motor over here .top motor in its day and ahead of its time IMO
if i remember correctly the motor had a limiter that cut coil power some how, , so with that said , check all the coils are powered up over the the 2k cutting our stage., using an in line spark tester will do the trick.

Doh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Suzukis of that era, had one extra feature that tapped into Limp Mode.

Yamaha and Suzuki had Over Rev, Low Oil, and Over Heat, and Suzuki had Water Flow sensor.

You say that the Flow is Good, but perhaps the Sensor is stuck

racerone

Supreme Mariner
How did the motor run for you last season ?----The rev limiter does not kick in at 2000 RPM...----Do the trouble shooting.----Check spark.-----Post actual compression values.----May be running on 3/4 of 6 cylinders.

Kjeldman

Recruit
New to me motor and boat, it doesn’t have Suzuki gauges and shows nothing on rpm gauge (im guessing it’s around 2-2500 rpm by sound and throttle position when it shakes and rattles). As soon as I throttle back it’s smooth again . I changed one water flow sensor because it was out of range. Cleaned both to ensure proper movement. Good pee stream. The oil level sensor was working correctly. It was last summer the last time I was working on it and I can’t remember how or if I tested the oil flow? ( exhaust smells like it should though and the screen was clean)
Could the trim sensor not let it go over a certain rpm?

Last edited:

Kjeldman

Recruit
There is no change with the reset button when underway or idling and jumperd the button also with no change.

Last edited: