Suzuki DF50 water alarm

sjds

Cadet
Getting a water overheating alarm on 2000 DF 50, but the water exiting the motor is only warm, not hot. has new water pump, seals etc 100 hours ago. Tach works sporatically, but all engine function lights light up on start.

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Suzuki DF50 water alarm

It is probably a bad temp sensor. There were a few back then that were overly sensitive for the gradient temp alarm. The new upgraded ones work better. Also, the one in the exhaust manifold may have been damaged due to electrolysis. <br /><br />You say your tach is not working properly - does it fluctuate while the engine is running or just when you first turn the key on?

sjds

Cadet

Thanks for the feedback. The tach mostly doesn't work, just works 20% of the time. It did get a good soaking of salt water about a year ago.<br /><br />Well today (5/25) I went out and the tach worked all 4 hours the engine ran!<br /><br />Where are those sensors located? I downloaded a parts listing, but did not see any listed. I live in Nicaragua and the dealer here is rather lame.<br /><br />Forgot to mention that the alarm doesn't go off until I have been trolling for 2.5-3 hours. Previously I had water flow problems do to the inability to flush the salt water from the motor with any regularity. So the electrolysis theory might be right on. And today, 5/25, the alarm started at just after starting the motor and never went of. Is there any way to by pass until I can replace the sensor/sensors?

fridays

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lakensea is dead on. Exhaust temp sensor is at the top of the exhaust manifold. It looks like an alu. 14mm nut (9/16) with two wires coming out. Get a new one and plug it in tucked in somewhere and leave the old one alone and unplugged. You'll never have the problem again and the motor won't know the difference. It's a sensor that borders on overkill for the EPA and is really quite useless in the real world.

sjds

Cadet

Thanks. Where is the other sensor, water temp located? <br /><br />I found the part number for the exhaust sensor, but only find a IAT sensor and a MAP sensor in the parts listing, no water sensor. Can you give me the part number so I might find the part in Central America?<br /><br />Thanks to everyone for the help offered.