Suzuki 75hp

Berdink

Petty Officer 1st Class
Any real concerns with this motor?
It's coming with a StarCraft 18 foot I'm looking at buying.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220213-210623.png
    Screenshot_20220213-210623.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 23

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It is at least a 25 year old motor.-----Compression test before handing over hard earned beer tokens.-----If you do buy it , then install a new impeller before your first fishing trip.----Verify if oil injection is in service or whether it runs on 50:1 mix.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Why is the engine tied in the up position? Spells trim and tilt problems to me. Agee on Racer's comments.

Berdink

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks guys
I guess what I was asking is if it's considered a decent motor.
I'm just now reading up and learning. I did figure out from these forums to stay away from Force outboards. But if this Suzuki is ok mechanically, does this generation Suzuki have a history of good or bad?
I surely will tear into the lower unit before I try to start it. I did that on my 1985 mercury 7.5. And I'll definitely check the impeller. I'm guessing it'll be brittle.

Berdink

Petty Officer 1st Class
I did find this post in another forum:
"They're good motors. Early 80's motors had some problems with excessive corrosion when used in salt water without remediation. It's worth the cost of the gasket to pull the water jacket cover and look for electrolysis and corrosion in a motor that's spent it's life in salt water. If it's a salt motor, check the thermostat, too. Put a new impeller in every year if you use it in salt, and check/clean the thermostat.
Fresh water motors should be fine.".

Berdink

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looks like a really clean engine.
I'll go read up on things to do before starting it.
It came with a 18 foot StarCraft. The price was right for the boat, so I figured if the motor is good, it's just a bonus.

Attachments

• PXL_20220219_003252661.jpg
    PXL_20220219_003252661.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20220219_005051793.jpg
    PXL_20220219_005051793.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 11

Berdink

Petty Officer 1st Class
Why is the engine tied in the up position? Spells trim and tilt problems to me. Agee on Racer's comments.
The transom is in desperate need of repair.
The straps are taking the load off of the transom.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
The transom looks OK to me and should be in good working order. The purpose of the straps was to avoid buying a lower leg's Towing Bar and theoretically help the trim mechanism to reduce the excessive motor's weight stress while being car towed or with already tilt and trim problems which are not known...

Happy Boating

Berdink

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good point about using the straps to take the load off the trim mechanism. But the transom is bad.
I bought the boat Friday.
I wanted to know if an 80's Suzuki was a decent motor. I knew I'd be fine with the boat, and knew it needed a transom. But I wanted to know about the motor itself.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Good point about using the straps to take the load off the trim mechanism. But the transom is bad.
I bought the boat Friday.
I wanted to know if an 80's Suzuki was a decent motor. I knew I'd be fine with the boat, and knew it needed a transom. But I wanted to know about the motor itself.
That is a good motor with an excellent oil injection system.

Berdink

Petty Officer 1st Class
Still need to test start it.
Obviously do a compression test first.
Today I was looking at the hoses, and I noticed that the oil injection goes in after the carb and not before. I thought I read somewhere that after is better than before for the carbs. I don't know if that's really so. Because if I was mixing my own gas, it would go in before the carb. The previous owner said they took it out last summer and by looking at the oil in the lines, it looks clean - not cloudy.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Still need to test start it.
Obviously do a compression test first.
Today I was looking at the hoses, and I noticed that the oil injection goes in after the carb and not before. I thought I read somewhere that after is better than before for the carbs. I don't know if that's really so. Because if I was mixing my own gas, it would go in before the carb. The previous owner said they took it out last summer and by looking at the oil in the lines, it looks clean - not cloudy.
Yamaha and Suzuki both did that. Best oil injection system put on carbed 2 strks.

Berdink

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sorry about the vague thread title.
It's a 1984 Suzuki DT 75.
I'm going to drop the lower unit to check/change the impeller.
I found the nut for the linkage bolt on the side under the rubber plug.
I read somewhere else to be careful not to move anything or things can become out of sync. But I'm thinking if I move the gear linkage to Neutral and put it back with both the gear selector and the linkage both at Neutral, everything should remain the same for the cables, linkage, and lower unit.
Is my thinking correct?
Thanks

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
that is correct, but some require putting into reverse instead of neutral so you can access the shaft nut to turn it
not sure about a Suzuki

Berdink

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got it out.
The bolt has a flat edge that only allows it to go back on the same way.
Impeller looks good. But beings I have it apart, I'll put a new one in.
I just didn't want to start the motor without first checking. I didn't want a bunch of old rubber breaking off and going through the cooling system.
1st pic is of the bolt that when loosened, allows you to slide the pin out of the shifting rod. The bolt has a flat edge so it can only go back on one way.
2nd pic is the current impeller and water pump.
The shifting shaft has a hole for the linkage to go in at the top. - remove the pin from the shifting rod/shaft first - before removing the lower unit bolts.

Attachments

• IMG_20220310_114613.jpg
    IMG_20220310_114613.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20220310_192110795.jpg
    PXL_20220310_192110795.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 8

Berdink

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ordered a $14 impeller from Amazon. Same part number as Brownspoint.
Also bought one from Boats.net for $31. The Boats.net says it's genuine Suzuki.
I'll post back with my take on both.
Edit, forgot to mention that I also bought this for the bolts when I put them back in.
Loctite 299175 Paste Anti-Seize Lubricant, -20 to 2400 degrees F Temperature Range, 8 oz Can https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B74AB5...t_i_7XPRA0YMXA3NCHM3H77K?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Berdink

Petty Officer 1st Class
Checked the gear oil.
Not milky and smells good.
Hopefully start it up this weekend.
I read that I can run it without the lower unit by hooking up a hose to the pipe that would go into the water pump.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Any real concerns with this motor?
It's coming with a StarCraft 18 foot I'm looking at buying.
Aside from the usual suspects, I’d check into parts availability. I’ve heard Suzuki was sold in recent years and there was some sort of issues with parts/support. Not sure if true but worth checking. Suzuki is my second choice after Yammy

Last edited:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Checked the gear oil.
Not milky and smells good.
Hopefully start it up this weekend.
I read that I can run it without the lower unit by hooking up a hose to the pipe that would go into the water pump.

never in my life have I known any gear oil to smell good,
I have run some out boards without the lower units on as you said, but never played with a 75 Suzuki