Suzuki 140 prop opinions

jmurryy

Recruit
I recently purchased a new Suzuki df140A which currently has a 21 pitch three blade, but is slow to plane and I can only get about 5200-5400 max rpms out of it. Would going to a 19 pitch get it up to the recommended rpm range with a faster plane time too?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
What's the min-max wot rpm range factory stated for said motor. How loaded (max passengers) on board when the motor achieved 5200-5400 wot revs ? Was the deck load distributed evenly ? 2 less pitch will definitely better the hole shot and combo will plane more easily. Maintain same 3 blade with 19 pitch....

Happy Boating

jmurryy

Recruit
What's the min-max wot rpm range factory stated for said motor. How loaded (max passengers) on board when the motor achieved 5200-5400 wot revs ? Was the deck load distributed evenly ? 2 less pitch will definitely better the hole shot and combo will plane more easily. Maintain same 3 blade with 19 pitch....

Happy Boating
There were two people on board, about 100 lbs of fishing and other gear, pretty normal load that I will have most days. The max rpm range is 5800-6200 rpms.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
There were two people on board, about 100 lbs of fishing and other gear, pretty normal load that I will have most days. The max rpm range is 5800-6200 rpms.

The min-max wot rpm range for that motor is 5600-6200. So 6200-5400 at best is 800 wot rpm under if plan upping the wot range towards max. Good to count with a near fixed load. Which type of boat is that 140 powering ? Is the current prop SS or Alum made ?

Depending on the type of boat which isn't know yet a 17 pitch will be too low for such a light load to go for. Personally would try a min 19 a max 18 if possible to find. Propping right a motor is not a exact science and only a wot water test will confirm how much more rpm the motor achieved.

Happy Boating

jmurryy

Recruit
The min-max wot rpm range for that motor is 5600-6200. So 6200-5400 at best is 800 wot rpm under if plan upping the wot range towards max. Good to count with a near fixed load. Which type of boat is that 140 powering ? Is the current prop SS or Alum made ?

Depending on the type of boat which isn't know yet a 17 pitch will be too low for such a light load to go for. Personally would try a min 19 a max 18 if possible to find. Propping right a motor is not a exact science and only a wot water test will confirm how much more rpm the motor achieved.

Happy Boating
Thank you for the replies, it is an 18 foot cc with a moderate v and around 2,000 lbs dry. The current prop is aluminum and I will try to pick up an aluminum 19 pitch with the same diameter to try out today.

Hauck

Recruit
The boat in this test is running a 20P propeller and hitting 6200rpm @ WOT; pretty much perfect. But if you are only reaching 5100 with a 21P prop, you won't reach anywhere near 6200 with a 20P. Something else is amiss. I would try a 19P so you can get somewhat close to the right rpm at WOT and then go from there. The boat in this test has the motor mounted one step higher than yours. That might help some but I would suggest swapping the prop first since your rpms are not even close to the right spot yet.