Surge Brakes Leaking

RL Gman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Surge Brakes Leaking

Here's pictures of my D60 setup. Note that the return solenoid pipe is drilled through the top plate of the coupler. The D60 may have an additional plate over the top of the cylinder. Yours appears to seal to the underside of the coupler with a gasket.I drilled a 3/4'' hole in the top of the coupler and threaded the cylinder cover plate to accept the 1/8" barb fitting for the backup solenoid. This needs to be tapped as 1/4NPT for the fitting. You may be able to just tap the coupler if your master seals directly to the underside. When I ordered mine from Champion, they said it would come with this return hole in the disc brake master. It didn't, and where they show the hole in he back of the master woudn't have worked anyway as the fitting won't clear the backup solenoid. Thus I went in thru the top, which also now provides a convenient fitting for pressure bleeding with the garden sprayer setup.
The picture also shows the backup type solenoid (Tie Down labeled) which ships with a blue wire. DO NOT WIRE THIS TO THE BLUE TERMINAL OF A 7 PIN. This wire should be colored purple and go the the center pin of a 7 pin connector.
Hope this helps.

Again, awesome info! And thanks for the pics, that will help!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I'll definitely ensure I'll be good on capacity. I might be super conservative and go up a 500 pounds if it bolts on correctly. I just needed to know that it could "communicate" with the hardware at the axles!

Right now I think it has either 6000# or 6500# rating, and I was considering the 7000# to be safe...I'll ask those questions when I talk to champion.

Eastern Trailer is cheaper and closer to your home which will save you some shipping cost.

http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.catalog&categoryID=150
FWIW: I've been running a Tiedown #6600 for 5 years now. No problems at all.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

And as a further note, be sure when ordering the new master that you specifically order a new top gasket and cap. The cylinder doesn't normally come with these. Also the hose supplied with the backup solenoid will be too short, but it's just 3/16 neoprene washer hose with a couple 1/4" clamps that they also don't supply. Any auto parts store for this stuff.
Another thing to look at with the brake line kits is the length of the supplied rubber hoses. It's a universal kit, the hoses are all 24" long but on my trailer I found that the hoses were too long to the calipers. I didn't like all the excess flopping around. I measured from the steel pipe to the caliper and added 2" for future caliper removal and had a couple made up at the local hose shop for $38. Looks much cleaner and less chance of snagging one.

RL Gman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

To Ding and Dock...lol, sounded funny...

Thanks for the info.

I have definitely not written off tie-down, and it is good to hear some positive feedback, I just hadnt heard to much.

As for the MC, I'm actually ordering the entire actuator, I dont like the shape my current one is in, and it looks like someone has been running it with no fluid for a while. But I will keep the hose information and solinoid return info on hand when I do the replacment.

Thanks again guys. I plan on updating when all complete, but might be a little while.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

As for the MC, I'm actually ordering the entire actuator, I dont like the shape my current one is in, and it looks like someone has been running it with no fluid for a while. But I will keep the hose information and solinoid return info on hand when I do the replacment.
A new actuator is only $25 more than a new MC. Not worth the time and effort to mess with a replacement MC.

If you order the Tiedown 66 it will come with the return line already drilled and tapped into the back of the MC. Just mount the solenoid and connect the 2" lg. return hose to the fitting on the back of the housing.

The cleanest install is the Tiedown 70E. The 70E has the solenoid built into the housing. Just connect the brake line and go. Nothing outside the envelope of the actuator other than the brake line running to the back.

http://www.tiedown.com/pdf/c720.pdf

RL Gman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A new actuator is only $25 more than a new MC. Not worth the time and effort to mess with a replacement MC.

If you order the Tiedown 66 it will come with the return line already drilled and tapped into the back of the MC. Just mount the solenoid and connect the 2" lg. return hose to the fitting on the back of the housing.

The cleanest install is the Tiedown 70E. The 70E has the solenoid built into the housing. Just connect the brake line and go. Nothing outside the envelope of the actuator other than the brake line running to the back.

http://www.tiedown.com/pdf/c720.pdf

Sounds like this is the direction I'll probably head in... Thank you.