Supercharged 3.0 Litre Mercruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

cannonford57

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Supercharged 3.0 Litre Mercruiser

is it do able,certainly.why do it?cause ya darn well want to.i'm pulling for ya chargerboy.good luck.

86 century

Ensign

Don't listen to them chargerboy. I have run some rather stupid setups like bolting a 671 on a 12.5/1 327 with unknown pulleys(at the time anyway)with a cheap after market bottom end all eagle parts I think. It lived for a while almost 3hours of run time most of it at an idle it hit 20psi the second time and came apart is some strange ways. Good luck let me know If I can be of any help

45Auto

Commander

Chargerboy said:
I was asking for help, not jokes.

Do you have a specific question? If you do, and can state it clearly (or at least well enough for people to understand) there's lots of knowledgeable people on this board who will be more than glad to help you.

From your original post:

What are everybody's thoughts on this? I've never heard of it being done before to a 3.0 Litre. Can this engine handle any amounts of boost? Is there any used chargers I should be looking for in particular off any production vehicles? Or am I just completely retarded for even thinking this is a good idea.

Let's look at what you're doing. You have a 3.0L making about 120HP in a 1989 16' boat that speed-wise is probably somewhere in the high 30's, maybe low 40's MPH. It takes about 10HP to gain 1 MPH in speed on a boat. A typical V6 makes a little less than 200HP and would EASILY run in the mid to high 40's in the same hull. Say you add 50% more power to your 3.0L (don't forget that if you pump 50% more volume into the engine, you also have to get it out. You may want to take a closer look at your 3.0L exhaust manifold, they're not exactly famous as the most free-flowing exhaust systems around .....). Anyway, now you have 180HP and a boat that will maybe do mid-40's if you're lucky. If you think this is a good idea, and it's something you want to do, go for it. It's not very hard, just buy some hardware and bolt it on. Just don't be surprised when most people aren't real impressed by it.

If you're going to race the boat in a class that requires you to run that specific 3.0L engine block, or has a max displacement rule of 3.0L, then supercharging would be the way to go.

Your original engine in something like a Stingray hull will do almost 60 MPH. Yamaha makes a boat with TWIN supercharged 1.8L motors that produce 180HP EACH (Yamaha 242 Limited S). It even has 15 stainless steel cupholders, they know what's really important on a boat! Mercury makes a whole line of supercharged outboards (Verado's). This thread has a picture of a boat with a turbocharged 3.0L from a kit that went out of production about 20 years ago, because not enogh people wanted it:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=359401&highlight=turbocharged

What you're talking about doing is no where near "out of the box", it's just a little different, more complicated, and more difficult way to add a little more power. People have been doing it since the 1920's, about 90 years.

Maybe if you are more specific in what you're trying to achieve people could be of more help. But if you just want to bolt a supercharger on a 3.0L because you think it looks cool, I think you'll find that most people who know anything about boat performance will be less than impressed.

frank246

Petty Officer 1st Class

That boat in above post link is (still) for sale btw.
Id say go for it chargerboy and get some pix on the way.

chargerboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not putting a supercharger in for max speed or performance, if i were worried about that I would not be running a 16 foot thundercraft and even if I were determined to "race" the boat, I'd more than likely drop the 427 in it that's sitting in a stand in my garage. I like to make vehicles custom and unique, a good way to start is adding onto the engine. Since I have 5 used superchargers lying around the shop that likely won't see any use I thought I might as well just bolt one on the boat.

If you think I'm putting a supercharger on because I think it's the only way to get power, that's not the reason. It's just to be unique, give myself a challenge, and do something that is rarely done. Hell, even if it only gives me an extra 10 horsepower I don't really care, because I've got a supercharger on my boat.

Thanks to all who are cheering the idea on, I'll make sure to post pictures when I start.

Besides, isn't this the whole reason these forums exist? It's so people can share creative knowledge and ideas. If we all just did the same thing, we'd all be sitting in out boats in the water right now bored and wondering who to share new ideas with.

83Evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

seeing as my cousin just pumped 600 wheel horsepower out of a turboed 2.3 litre mustang

Wow, thats 260hp per litre, my 5.0L should be good for 1,304hp with the same setup! Wonder if the guys on the prop forum can figure out what prop I'll need?

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Wonder if the guys on the prop forum can figure out what prop I'll need?

14 3/4 X 187, and you'll need a drive shower for that alpha...

frank246

Petty Officer 1st Class

=
Besides, isn't this the whole reason these forums exist? It's so people can share creative knowledge and ideas. If we all just did the same thing, we'd all be sitting in out boats in the water right now bored and wondering who to share new ideas with.

Some on this board only think OEM, youll find them by their answers CB.

boat127

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if you got the time and know how to weld and fab you can do anything. theres a thread on here somewhere a guy in austrilla whos putting a buick engine into a boat he made up his own exhaust manifold

good luck post pics

45Auto

Commander

chargerboy said:
I was hoping for help and support with good ideas

chargerboy said:
I like to make vehicles custom and unique, a good way to start is adding onto the engine.

chargerboy said:
If we all just did the same thing, we'd all be sitting in out boats in the water right now bored and wondering who to share new ideas with.

It could be possible that your viewpoint is slightly different than the majority of posters to this forum. There's a reason it's called a "BOATING" forum. In my experience, I believe that they would MUCH rather be "sitting out in their boat on the water being bored", as you put it, than sitting on shore hanging some extra parts on their engine just to make it a little different from their neighbors. I know I would rather be on the water.

Nothing wrong with it if that's what you want to do, but you may find responses more to your liking on one of the more "hot-rod" oriented forums like Scream and Fly (SAF) or Offshore Only (OSO).

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

If anything, do a blown 4.3 in it... much more available parts including exhaust, etc... and a lot better starting point from an engine platform standpoint... imho whatever you do, post how you do it and take us to school... I'm always up for learning something by someone elses trial and errors rather than my own "work on it until it breaks and then make it faster and start over again" philosophy... :D

mccurtis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Chargerboy go for it. Don't listen to all this hot air these guys are pumping. Its their opinion. I cheer you on. Iif thats what you want to do, supercharge your 3.0, in the words of one of our nations great shoe manufactures - JUST DO IT!
GOOD LUCK ...........................

wht89gt

Cadet

Wow, thats 260hp per litre, my 5.0L should be good for 1,304hp with the same setup! Wonder if the guys on the prop forum can figure out what prop I'll need?

You do realize that the 2.3 will hold almost 1200bhp that motor is an extremely thick block with good design ford used it in the svo for 3 years. Also 5.0 blocks by ford are garbage anything ove 600 bhp will crack the block in no time trust me. Also charger boy go for it i have a 3.0 and have thought about turboing it but really its not cost effective for me plus my 3.0 isnt the most reliable anyway but recam it or go custom you want that thing pumpin hard down low. And what are you gonna do for fuel pump?

JustJason

Vice Admiral

You do realize that the 2.3 will hold almost 1200bhp

If your going to come out with a statement like that back it up with something.

Coz I'm going to tell you about Michael. Michael overheated his boat last week and could not get it to restart after he did his own waterpump job. So he paid me to go down and look at the boat.
I knew something was fubared in the head/valvetrain after the first crank of the key. Quick compression test gave me 25psi on 1, 0 psi on #2. I just stopped at that point because I knew the valves were junk at the very least, you could hear them leaking.
10 minutes worth of work, and 100 bucks for me later (I don't go out for less than 150, but I gave the guy a break).
Michael has a $1500 at best in running condition Bayliner Ford/OMC 2.3 liter that needs 1000+ bucks worth of work should he choose to fix it.

A 2.3L holding up to 600 or 1200 HP??? Yep... sure, and you probably believe aliens live in volcanos too.

bhammer

Ensign

Yep... sure, and you probably believe aliens live in volcanos too.

Now come on, I have seen them before. I even have pictures. :p It was when Santa Clause was delivering presents to the alien children. :D

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I sure wish I had your money to **** away!

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

13 year old boys with a Summit Racing catalogue.

rokcrlr

Cadet

I know this thread is about 6 months old, but I ran across it while searching info about the3.0 turboed mercruiser. I just bought one today at an auction. It's in a 1981 champion bass boat and appears to be factory, but it sounds like it's not. The engine cowl has provisions for the turbo and doesn't appear to be modified.Water line to turbo housing for cooling?. Bolts to the top of exhaust manifold and plumbing for the exhaust.

Status
Not open for further replies.