Supercharged 3.0 Litre Mercruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

chargerboy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Supercharged 3.0 Litre Mercruiser

There is no need for the animosity in this thread. Anyone is free to explain why this idea is impractical or impossible without the attitudes.

Thank you, this was a serious question, seeing as my cousin just pumped 600 wheel horsepower out of a turboed 2.3 litre mustang, my old cutlass was supercharged, my truck is supercharged, and my lexus is twin turbocharged I expected a serious reply about supercharging a boat. I was asking for help, not jokes. 7 psi will not blow cast pistons, nor will it damage any internals, so all you guys saying it will blow the motor apart are wrong. I just picked up the adaptor plate and and I ordered in the charger and carb. If I wanted to put a v-6 in it I would build a v-6 for it, but I don't want one, I want a supercharged 3.0 Litre to dare to be different. I was hoping for help and support with good ideas for it but it sounds like everybody is just too set in their ways to think outside the box for once.

45Auto

Commander

it sounds like everybody is just too set in their ways to think outside the box for once.

Exactly how small do you think the box is? Maybe your eyes aren't as good as everyone else's and you just can't see the sides while they can ......

I've been on this board for 8 years or so, I've seen this same discussion several times per year. If you're too lazy to do a simple search for information, don't be surprised when nobody offers to re-type it for you.

I just picked up the adaptor plate and and I ordered in the charger and carb.

See, you can even buy off the shelf parts to do it with. If people are making parts for you to do the conversion, I wouldn't call it "out of the box".

chargerboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did a search for information and all I came up with was a guy asking if there's a kit available, and the answer was no.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

This exact topic comes up about every 6 months.
I wish you the best of luck.

BTW...in all the years, no one has EVER posted pics of a completed blown 3 liter.

Don't expect to see any either.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

I like your question... but the engine in question isn't the kind of mill designed to handle it. also, the blown applications you're talking about cast pistons being fine in are NOT like the abuse a marine engine has to take. Imagine taking your mustang and pulling a sled of logs up the side of a mountain in 2nd or 3rd gear, full throttle for an hour...

to put my overal viewpoint in perspective, I just came in from setting the valve train up / checking clearance and checking pushrod length on the new competition ported afr heads I just torqued down on my boat engine... Not only do they flow a good bit better than the ported iron heads that came off it, but they intentionally have much larger combustion chambers in order to drop static compression from 10:1 to 8.5:1. I bet you know why, eh?

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

This exact topic comes up about every 6 months.
I wish you the best of luck.

BTW...in all the years, no one has EVER posted pics of a completed blown 3 liter.

Don't expect to see any either.

I'd like to see the blow through using a leaf blower trick done on a 3.0...

I'll bring the carb hat and leaf blower if someone has a boat with a 3.0 they're going to swap out anyhow... :D

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

I think that has come up here prior also.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Even Better,... A couple of years ago, some Yahoo was selling Bilge Blowers on ebay as electric Superchargers...

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Ayuh,... Even Better,... A couple of years ago, some Yahoo was selling Bilge Blowers on ebay as electric Superchargers...

Those proud purchasers show up all the time on automotive forums I am on.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

You're kidding, right? hmmm.... you would think folks would do some math and realize that there's no way in .... a little electric blower can feed an engine.

..at least a big gas powered leaf blower can generate enough airflow and pressure to really make a difference on a smaller engine...

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

How about a diesel conversion of the 3.0?
Hammer the spark plug gaps shut to convert them to glow plugs, then find a diesel carb (ebay probably has them).

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

How about a diesel conversion of the 3.0?
Hammer the spark plug gaps shut to convert them to glow plugs, then find a diesel carb (ebay probably has them).

make it a turbo diesel so it's worth the while and you're on...

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

No, run it on Jet Fuel.

boat127

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you need the 120 ohm 1.1 jigawatt flux capacitor to connect between the diesel carb and glow plugs to run on jet fuel

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Glad I got to read all of this before Don......

Anybody laying odds on successful completion???

bhammer

Ensign

No, run it on Jet Fuel.

Jet fuel is pretty close to diesel #1. I think sulfar contenet and the specific gravity / viscosities are different.

The FBO where our aircraft is, they run Jet A in all the diesel equipment. Don't smoke as bad. :D

I know a guy that runs Jet A in his old Dodge. He gets the Jet A from sumpping the fuel tanks. The only issue, is he isn't paying highway tax on the fuel.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Jet fuel is pretty close to diesel #1. I think sulfar contenet and the specific gravity / viscosities are different.

The FBO where our aircraft is, they run Jet A in all the diesel equipment. Don't smoke as bad. :D

I know a guy that runs Jet A in his old Dodge. He gets the Jet A from sumpping the fuel tanks. The only issue, is he isn't paying highway tax on the fuel.

Not quite jet fuel, but close... I run white fuel/kerosene on my smaller 2 stroke engines (25 to 35 cc), weedeaters and RC planes. They love it! Much easier to transport and doesn't smell as bad. I was told there was absolutely no way to do it, they wouldn't run at all, or would self destruct instantly. That was 5 years ago. Haven't had a single issue yet.

bhammer

Ensign

Not quite jet fuel, but close... I run white fuel/kerosene on my smaller 2 stroke engines (25 to 35 cc), weedeaters and RC planes. They love it! Much easier to transport and doesn't smell as bad. I was told there was absolutely no way to do it, they wouldn't run at all, or would self destruct instantly. That was 5 years ago. Haven't had a single issue yet.

Close enough for this thread. :D

I tried jet a on one of my old O.S. 7.5cc engines. Couldn't get it to respond to rapid throttle movements very good. It was a lot cheaper fuel though. I came across a recipe some time ago on the correct castor oil weight to add per gallon.

Status
Not open for further replies.