Suggestions?

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Suggestions?

yep, that thing looks pretty sea worthy...
looks like it'd meet a lot of your criteria too. man that heater looks good... ;)

only thing would be, it'd be nice to have twin engines though. good point of it only having one is it's not twice the cost in maint.

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

I was also checking over (drooling) a North Pacific 28 trawler that is "trailerable". They picked up the design with modification from CMDboats. The thing weighs in at 11,000 lbs. stripped and dry. That isn't exactly my idea of trailerable.

It is very nice though and has huge range. Starting at around $180k the thing is more than my house and the other half isn't THAT fond of boating.

ziggy

Admiral

Starting at around $180k the thing is more than my house and the other half isn't THAT fond of boating.
:eek:, that is pricey. on the other hand, maybe the wife would become much more fond of boating if ya had a $180k trawler... ;)

fwiw, that boat cost 9 time more than my house did... granted i live on poverty street (inside neighborhood street name joke)...

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

I spoke to Seaward yesterday about one of the 26RKs they make and well equipped it is around 75k. The ads in Sail magazine make it seem the perfect coastal cruiser. If you like to sail of course. I always enjoyed it when I was much younger and haven't done any in over 20 years.

I'm going to look into crewing a few times before I step out into that realm though.

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

I have decided to look into creating a flybridge type of conversion for the 19 and then I could have the best of both.

I started playing with welding some aluminum and it doesn' appear to be all the different if I get a spool gun for my mig.

What do you guys think about a hardtop saloon converion that would be removable like the original?

last930

Cadet

A flybridge could get pretty topheavy on such a small boat - you'd have to be very careful when the boat rolls in a wake or wave.

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

The flybridge option would be at most a two person station amidship and the real reason for it would be to raise the current cabin height to allow for the addition of a few other things. I might just go to a standing helm and forgo the flybridge.

It is just easier to add another station than modify the existing one that much.

One other point is that ordinarily I wouldn't even consider such an option. The hard chine aft and relatively flat vee make for an unusually stable if not overly smooth ride. By that, I mean there is a greater degree of whomping that occurs when crossing wakes. However, there is very little roll or slide. If you trim right and back off a little it just cuts through and glides along. Besides, I'm not talking about a tuna tower.

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

I may have found an older 260 Sundancer. Current condition doesn't look all that good. But, it is about what is under the skin right?

This thread might be better somewhere other than here. Although, I'm not sure where.

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

Well we have gone and done it on an '88 Formula F26PC with the single 7.4L and a Bravo One. We went to Detroit to get it and now I have to go home and shed some toys to pay for it. It looks as though it has everything I could ask for.

It also makes my full size conversion van look like a VW bug. My wife is scared I will stop too fast and it will run us over.

ziggy

Admiral

Well we have gone and done it
way to go db. congratulations to you and the mrs...
now I have to go home and shed some toys
i hope yer nineteen don't make the hit list... ;)
It also makes my full size conversion van look like a VW bug
wow, that must be a big one. i tow with a van too...

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

I will probably be selling the 19 to another 19 owner here locally that said she wants to upgrade from hers to mine and then sell hers. I can't stand to watch any boat just sit unused.

Yeah, it is bigger than I thought it was. But, I had already driven 13 hours to get there and it was what I've been claiming to want. So, into the water I went.

Right now towing with the fog here in Toledo - the lower unit will be quite puckered by the time I get out of it.

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

Long and short update. We are now a 2 boat family because my wife decided she likes the 19 too well to sell it. Because of a ton of personal issues that have been flooding us, we haven't put anything in the water in a long time.

We are hoping to get one or both back in around the end of this month. I haven't even dewinterized them yet.

ziggy

Admiral

We are now a 2 boat family because my wife decided she likes the 19 too well to sell it
ya much be richer than i am db. i had a jet flea and a boat at the same time but one had to go as i couldn't afford both... easy to understand why yer wife don't wanna sell the nineteen. nineteens are just too functional and cool. specially with all the cool mods ya've done to yours.
Because of a ton of personal issues that have been flooding us, we haven't put anything in the water in a long time.
bummer. i hope yer issues are getting better. i don't know what yours are, but mine all have to do with lack of money and lack of folks that want to pay me to go to work. i'm self employed and this new economy has me reeling to try to make a living.
We are hoping to get one or both back in around the end of this month. I haven't even dewinterized them yet.
now would be a good time db...;) summers on the down slid and winterizing has crossed my mind. i may winterize early this year due to lack of funds. imho. put the nineteen in. surely it'll be easier to winterize than the formula. it's smaller.

hope things get to going well for you...

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

We dropped the Formula in once this summer and it handles like a vette. The nineteen didn't even get to get wet. We were going to take it and I got her all prepped and then a few more joined in and we needed the bigger boat.

I had recently rebuilt the original carb and to my surprise she she fired right off on old fuel. Way to go Stabil.

We are looking forward to next season as several others have expressed an interest and my brother just picked up a deck boat. Maybe we can have a fleet soon. I have located another Aristocraft nearby. But, the guy is unreasonable. He says it is restorable and I say pull the top and scrap the rest. Even the trailer is trashed and he still wants a grand for it. Time will tell. Ill keep watching because the top is the right factory color for mine.