Suggestions?

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer
My wife and I have been considering a larger project boat for doing the loop somtime after I retire. My dream, not hers.

Anyway, you fellow 19 owners know what I'm up against when it comes to upsizing. I'm spoiled by the space and feature we have now and am having trouble finding a suitable upgrade.

My favorite 19 things are the bow' the space, the walkaround, and the lines of the boat in general with and without the hardtop.

What suggestions does everyone have in the trailerable 26 to 28 foot range that might feel like the 19's big sister?

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Suggestions?

man db, that's a tall order yer trying to fill. the nineteen is so unique with such cool and useful amenity's, i really don't know what the next boat would be.
for me, it'd have to have a hard top. agree with you and the walk around gunnels. i guess a potty would be nicer than the coffee can that i use now. it would need to be able to go full enclosed too with a fairly short amount of work like the Nineteen. a windshield wiper would be nice. for sure a closed bow. i use my space up there too. i had it packed full this last weekend. 4 pfds, garbage pale, bailing bucket and 2 sleeping bags. i like the space obviously for storage, but i also like the sea worthiness of a closed bow too. lots of space would be in order too. i use the open back (between the aft facing and fore facing rear seats).

i like your trip idea. i'd love to do that too. sounds like a real adventure.

while i don't think i'd want a wooden boat. something like this would 'maybe' fill the bill for me... http://www.iboats.com/used_boats/bo...0/classic_and_antique_boats--1009/500039.html
all the amenity's...

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

I would agree with your choice with one exception. That is certainly not trailerable. Otherwise, they are some really good cruisers. If I could cut up a couple of 19's and rejoin them with a flybridge and a cabin, I think I could make it work pretty well. I just couldn't give up the closed spread bow. I also think I would need to go a little deeper with the vee and add diesel power with air.

Gotta have the AC.

aristocraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We did make a few 21 foot nineteens once..... but not big enough. We also made a 24 foot cabin cruiser back in the early 50's..

ziggy

Admiral

We did make a few 21 foot nineteens once..... but not big enough. We also made a 24 foot cabin cruiser back in the early 50's..
i didn't know about the 21' nineteens. got any pics?
i forgot about the 24' cabin cruiser. them were too cool. outboard mounted on the stringers outside the boat. too cool. one of them may fit your needs db but i think if i'm not mistaken. them babys are as rare as hens teeth... i may be wrong but think production was 75 (?) boats, round abouts (correct me if i'm wrong Aristocraft)... very rare... they were wood also...

your right about my link above. guess i got carried away with that cabin cruiser at 31'... something like it perhaps...

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

That 24'er looked pretty cool in the photos. I like the look of the Venice taxi boats too.

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

This type might be an option:

(1985 Pursuit 2700 open) Does anyone have opinions on these?

Attachments

• 1985 pursuit 2700 open.jpg
    1985 pursuit 2700 open.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 0

ziggy

Admiral

now yer talking db.... that's something i could live with too... twin 165's to boot.... sweet....

Last edited:

nineteen

Cadet

I always tell my wife I wished they would make a modern version,say about 24' of the Aristocaft 19.That would be different...The problem today is everything is so generic.That's why I like my 73 Aristocraft so much....It really stands out...

Good Luck
Rickey

ziggy

Admiral

The problem today is everything is so generic.
yep. they all look the same to me too. i wear glasses and the shades i wear at the lake are my last prescription so a little off. i can't tell a bayliner from a crownline unless i'm up pretty darn close. all the same design for practical purpose... Aristocraft on the other hand had vision. their boats are unique and do stand out in a crowd... there just ain't anything similar to AristoCraft boats.... least not that i've seen.. probably why db is having troubles finding a boat that suits him i would think. i don't know what my next one will be. i don't see much that interest me after a nineteen. oh. i take that back. i think a glastron scimitar might be pretty stylish but i would think they can't pull all the duty's that a AristoCraft does. Nineteens are way versatile.. imho...

fyi... 3 more new post and the AristoCraft forum will have 4 pages of comments... AristoCraft has a pretty good following i'd say... :cool:

Last edited:

aristocraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry ziggy, no pics of any 21' nineteens. but you can go out in your driveway and look at your boat, then close your eyes and picture it two feet longer.. hahaha ;)

I love the Stamas brand, and love the family. they are a small family owned buisness like us, and have been around since the 50's. known for building solid boats. I love mine...

Last edited by a moderator:

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

Beautiful WACC there. What would be the chance they would be willing to join forces with you to bring out a newer version of the 19. Say a 24-26 with blutec diesel power, a hardtop flybridge and all the retro style we love. They already have the hulls and you guys have the skills. I am sure I couldn't afford it. But, you might talk me into changing jobs over something like that.

Those lines are just classic.

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

Beautiful WACC there. What would be the chance they would be willing to join forces with you to bring out a newer version of the 19. Say a 24-26 with blutec diesel power, a hardtop flybridge and all the retro style we love. They already have the hulls and you guys have the skills. I am sure I couldn't afford it. But, you might talk me into changing jobs over something like that.

Those lines are just classic.

This is a rough idea of what I was talking about. The lower area is a stand-up helm and the flybridge has either. Pardon the color as my printer was really messing up.

Attachments

• my boat.jpg
    my boat.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 0

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

I think I have just about settled on a Marinette 28 with twins. I haven't heard anything bad about them and sleeping on the river at night wrapped in aluminum feels better than fiberglass. Submerged logs that drift can really foul things up for a good nights sleep.

We only hit salt once a year and the inboard systems seem simpler. If I am wrong, somebody speak up.

last930

Cadet

My wife and I owned an F-32 Trojan for some years - 13' beam, lots of amenities and very easy to spend extended amounts of time on. Good interior volume; we had a generator , thus hot water, stove/oven, a/c and heat. I wish I still had it.

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

I would love to do something like that. However, I still think I want to be able to trailer it regularly. I may move away from that idea as time goes on - or maybe my wife will suddenly be blessed with the type of open mind that others here have and they allow them to build their own from scratch.

I think that would be a blast as long as I wasn't trying to hit a deadline.

H20wens

Seaman

What about a Cargile Cutter..?? It is the only boat in its class (28' trailerable) to cross the Atlantic